• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Realm of desperate thrashing-around: I've thought of several very far-fetched and highly-unlikely answers. Just to submit something -- here's the best (or worst) of these. I'll try Peartree. Before its 1968 closure (prior to its 1976 reopening) this station was called Peartree & Normanton. I see an allusion to that earlier name -- calling on "1066 and stuff". To achieve the Conquest, "a ton of Normans" had to be mobile = "have legs" :E ...

Esker-pades

Established Member
Realm of desperate thrashing-around: I've thought of several very far-fetched and highly-unlikely answers. Just to submit something -- here's the best (or worst) of these. I'll try Peartree. Before its 1968 closure (prior to its 1976 reopening) this station was called Peartree & Normanton. I see an allusion to that earlier name -- calling on "1066 and stuff". To achieve the Conquest, "a ton of Normans" had to be mobile = "have legs" :E ...

Not that one either.

Clue: the fruit in question has a stone, and the second part of the station name (and associated part of the cryptic clue) is more of an aural clue before the jump to "had legs". (Please tell me if this makes sense.)

Calthrop

Established Member
It is Plumstead!

Stead - Stand - Legs

Last night I went right through the all-GB book's "Station index and table numbers" (I thought) -- but was completely oblivious to Plumley, Plumpton, and Plumstead. Gormless, or what?

DanTrain

Hint: Think about it laterally, there's one word in the clue that hints at what I'm getting at (no anagrams or anything like that)...

Calthrop

Established Member
I for one, am "no forrarder", I'm afraid. Fear that in this game, "I'm better at setting than getting" !

Calthrop

Established Member
Truro? (Truly row, along the river or canal parallel to the rail line on which you've missed the last train :s ?)

Calthrop

Established Member
I'll have a go, if I may.

Quoting Edward son of Stanley, in his encouraging alien to take ride on mustelid.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint (hoping it won't be as mystifying as, or more than, than the original clue): this station has a two-word name. For most of its existence, it has been called by just the first word of its name. The second was added relatively recently, when developments occasioned the creation of a completely new station fairly close by, with a two-word name -- first word the same as the first word of the "answer" station, second word a different one.

Calthrop

Established Member
Another hint -- re the first word of the two; clue is along the lines of father-and-son description, as: Robert has a son called Joseph, who is referred to as "Bob's Joe".