• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanTrain

An unsavoury, run-down town has lost a third of the internet but still manages to maintain its highway.

Oh sorry, forgot this was here!

Clue: The station name has two words, the second of which relates to the 'highway' :)

cjp

I fear I cannot manage anything cryptic so I offer more of a "Round Britain Quiz" type of clue
So with a watery smile there are three parts
Firstly a dish associated with hot water systems
Secondly it is oft found in mouths
Thirdly a source of the nursery rhyme about a pussy. If that rings any bells put them with the first two answers to get the station.

Happy if you don't like this to offer a clue or two or to declare open floor

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
I really can’t remember how the ‘Round Britain Quiz’ works. Does it imply your answer has three words, or are there three clues leading to the same solution?

cjp

I really can’t remember how the ‘Round Britain Quiz’ works. Does it imply your answer has three words, or are there three clues leading to the same solution?

Leaving "Round Britain Quiz" aside the station I was thinking of has two words in the name. The first two parts yield the first word and the third part the second word.
If not solved I will post the answer tomorrow and declare open floor.

cjp

Indeed. All clues related to water.
1.a tundish is used in connection with boilers so you can see if water is overflowing for some reason.
2. A bridge over water or a dental prosthesis
3 Ding dong Bell pussy's in the well and them gives Wells.

Over to you neilmc

neilmc

Dayrover usage - English ferry port station is taken out of the equation, only a Scottish one remains!

neilmc

Well done Gus - take the letters of "DOVER" out of "DAYROVER" and what you have left is AYR.

johnnychips

Established Member
That’s the one!

Crumpled rag = gar, taken from
Shergar = famous horse = Sher
Brought to this world = born
East = e

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint: the "extra-territorial..." bit is relevant. The "answer station" is in a part of the island of Great Britain which is sometimes referred to as "Little ******* beyond *****".

johnnychips

Established Member
Clarbeston Road.

It is an anagram of the last three words, and Pembrokeshire has many Saxon rather than Welsh place names.

Calthrop

Established Member
Indeed --the south-west of Pembs. called at times, "Little England beyond Wales".

Your floor.