• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
In utter desperation -- Ascott-under-Wychwood??? "Wand-er" -- someone who uses a wand: could be a witch -- some suggestion with "under", that the witch would quit the magic business -- and perhaps go to the races at Ascot instead? (I did say "desperation".)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thanks - I don't think this will last too long:

Musical Tim might live here!

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks.

Occult raccoons occasion anxiety among local residents (highly religious people hereabouts)

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint: it's on a normal, proper railway with "regulation" passenger services; but not on GB's National Network.

neilmc

I thought of Carrick-On-Shannon as this uses all the letters of "raccoons" but it's in the Irish Republic - does this count?

Calthrop

Established Member
I thought of Carrick-On-Shannon as this uses all the letters of "raccoons" but it's in the Irish Republic - does this count?

Right island, wrong polity; I understand the convention as being, that stations in Northern Ireland are allowed in the game, it being part of the UK -- but not in the Republic. (I'd be for permitting stas. in the Republic too -- more clue-fodder !)

Calthrop

Established Member
Hinting further -- the station concerned, has very close to it: an excellent museum, of interest to people like us.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hollywood, though I can’t fit it to the clue?

You are so close; but it looks like you're going by the museum's postal address (and following the Californian, rather than the local, spelling): whereas the "answer station", where one alights for the museum, is a little way down the line.

johnnychips

Established Member
Definitely
Welsh ‘the’ = ‘y’
We hear = sounds like
Backie = a lift on a bike
after
killing badgers = cull

Calthrop

Established Member
Mine again, I take it --

We hear, tribute to ancient deceased ruler -- which reversed nearly a century ago; and perpetrator then donning titfer (about to set off to his next dig?)

Calthrop

Established Member
Correct -- excavation of Tutankhamen's tomb in 1922 -- "burying Tut", reversed.

Your floor.