• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The answer I was actually looking for was High Brooms, but I'm happy to accept Broomhill as it fits the clue (I hadn't considered that one). @FelixtheCat , the floor is yours.

Calthrop

Established Member
In utter desperation -- Teddington??? "Ted" for EDWARD Lear, who created the character "the DONG with the Luminous Nose" -- what Tim has to do with things, I have no idea.

Calthrop

Established Member
Boyngcratchit -- on the Glasgow & South Western Railway's one-time branch line from Whayslyekuss to Auchtullywhitlin? (I'm being silly now.)

Calthrop

Established Member
Dingwall as mentioned above? -- or am I looking at "screamingly obvious and not the answer"?

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks.

One envisages American Druid finding spot for his automobile where it won't be in the way; then continuing on foot to pay homage to one of the members of the vegetable kingdom, venerated by his sect.

Calthrop

Established Member
I see your train of thought; afraid not, though. Consider another "vegetable kingdom member" which the Druids were keen on.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint: he's American, so he'll spell some words differently from the way Brits do -- including one which is of significance in the "answer station" 's name.

Calthrop

Established Member
Must be that new Staffordshire station - Leek Parkway?

Methinks it pleases you to jest, sir -- I wot of no real-world Leek Parkway... however, you're on some of the right track. And -- "the vegetable kingdom" can refer to anything which is not "animal, mineral, or abstract" -- encompassing among other things, trees. Also, nobody has yet addressed the Yank and his spelling.

Calthrop

Established Member
Oakleigh Park (though I can't fit in the -leigh- bit)?

You are oh, so very close -- essentially, two elements out of three. The third has no "leigh" connections -- it's a different word. Here's where American spelling peculiarities come in. (The "answer station" is in Greater London.)