• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
No, I fear; to the best of my knowledge, Micklefield has no association with South Western Railway. However: the first two syllables of Micklefield, and of the answer station, are -- in spelling and pronunciation -- similar though not identical; and have the same meaning, in different regional varieties of archaic English.

Calthrop

Established Member
Your wild guess is correct. I feel a bit bad about the abstruseness of this clue -- congratulations on getting it, whatever the means ! In the English of centuries ago, "worm" had an additional meaning, denoting "dragon" (it comes in Tolkien). French word for "worm" (ordinary kind) is "ver". Thus -- "Michel de Ver"...

The floor is yours -- reward for valiant worm-slaying.

Karl

On Moderation
I love the education. Thank you :)

This would be a good place to have each and every sock in the drawer repaired!

johnnychips

Established Member
I live about a mile from it, so it suggested itself at once! Anyway...

From top to (painful) toe!

Edit: just realised we are continuing a ‘foot theme’.

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
Yes you can and you’re right. I don’t know how old you are, Karl, but my gran always had things wrong with her feet like bunions, chilblains and - indeed - corns, which nobody seems to get anymore.

All yours!

Karl

On Moderation
I'm 59 and well remember the days of bunions, chilblains and corns. Whatever happened to those? A pumice stone was an essential in the bathroom when I were a lad!

Found trainspotting at Leyland Lancashire, but really from Cheshire?

Calthrop

Established Member
I've got a dozen years on you: I always imagined that the pumice stone was for removing ink stains from fingers -- inky schoolboys for the use of.

Anything which involves trainspotting, and that general part of the world, usually seems to boil down to Meols Cop being the answer; so that's my guess.

Calthrop

Established Member
Please Sir: you may revile me as a stupid boy, but I've got a problem here. There's Lostock Hall station near Leyland -- had one of BR's last steam sheds, which was a magnet for spotters. There's also Lostock Gralam station in Cheshire, on the Cheshire Lines Manchester -- Chester route. And I'm blessed if I can figure out which of these two is the correct answer ! So: seeing a 50% chance of success whatever happens, I'll plump for Lostock Hall.

Karl

On Moderation
Nice to hear mention of Lostock Hall. I was brought up in Lostock Hall and the shed was a magnet for us local spotters in the last days of steam. A quick pop-in at the foreman's office and we were allowed access around the premises as long as we behaved. Many happy memories from those days. Recently, on the 50th anniversary of the last day of steam I returned to the derelict premises to reminisce. There were still traces of rusty rail and I even managed to find a few pieces of coal! They are now placed on the hearth of my gas fire at home.

Unfortunately it's not either of the Lostocks.

Cheshire is where you should be looking at Leyland buses. ;)

Calthrop

Established Member
You dwelt in the right area, as regards the late 60s and steam, then...

Trying to continue with the old-fashioned-education theme: O domine, omniborum ignoro ! (Thus, no attempt at a further answer.)

Karl

On Moderation
No sorry. I'm struggling to think of another clue.

It's in between Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Airport.

Karl

On Moderation
Come on peeps. The answer is staring at you!

Found in trainspotting at Leyland Lancashire, but really from Cheshire?

Calthrop

Established Member
Taking a shot at it -- I think I gather that this Leo-whatsit chap is some kind of actor Johnny; but my guess is that what he does for a living is irrelevant, and intended to put us off the scent. The clue is really about the switching-around of r's and n's. So I suggest -- what with these r's and n's: Arnside.