• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

perryman

I can't concentrate, too much smut. o_O

Clue 2 takes us from sex to violence:

If we're playing indoors, 10 of us get knocked about a bit, so till we recover, it's better to work outdoors

Edit: added one word which I think needs to be included in the clue.

Last edited:

perryman

Pinhoe?

10 pin bowling and an easy lady.

From the first clue:
18, game = golf = flag(ging) = pin
Tart = hoe

From the second clue:
As @plymothian correctly mentions: playing indoor, 10 knocked about etc = 10 pin bowling
till & work outdoors (in garden) = hoe

Well done, over to you.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hazarding a totally random guess -- Bamber Bridge ?? -- something to do with Mr. Gascoigne and his "your starter for ten" catchphrase?

Calthrop

Established Member
Magdalen College, Calthrop.
Correct.

North (East/South/West) being playing positions in Contract Bridge.

A random guess indeed, on my part -- I know nothing whatever about bridge the game ! Anyway --

Mean dwelling annoys numerous fish, we might hear

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint: the fish concerned are, alas, not alive. One syllable in the answer, represents a word used in the fishing trade: it's a -- large -- measure of quantity, for one particular kind of fish.

Calthrop

Established Member
Your drift here, is got; sorry, but the answer involves a different kind of mean dwelling, and a different unit of measurement. (The word for said unit, comes from Scottish Gaelic -- though the station is in England.)

perryman

Stirling?

Stir = slang for being in prison, a bad house
Ling = a kind of fish, although I didn't think the term applied to solely (no pun) the dead variety.

Calthrop

Established Member
Stirling?

Stir = slang for being in prison, a bad house
Ling = a kind of fish, although I didn't think the term applied to solely (no pun) the dead variety.

All respondents' ingenuity, has been impressive; but -- not Stirling. (Answer-station in England -- see above.)

Calthrop

Established Member
As regards the fish, we don't seem to be in business. Herewith, an alternative clue:

Cards-playing command to aristocrat -- highly eccentric -- whist, crank Count !

Calthrop

Established Member
I've mucked this one up, I feel -- realise that I don't even know up-to-date TOC titles. Best to end the thing: the station was Hutton Cranswick.

Open floor.