• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plymothian

Well as surpluses under the CAP have been dubbed mountains and lakes, so a small one would be a Poole. Pool also being a popular pub game, but god knows how that fits with the original clue.

You're getting very, very close to part of the name. It's not a small lake, so...

The pub game hint is not a direct clue, but to push you forward in the musical direction by identifying an artist, which will (I hope) help.

plymothian

I'm not getting any inspiration for an artist, so another random guess: Maze Hill.

Jack (and Jill) went up and a surplus hill of maize.

Plymothian is halfway there - Hill is correct.

The pub game is one stereotypically played by old chaps using small tiles - if that gets you to the artist, one of his or her best known songs should see you home and dry.

But happy to see Jack Ford given a mention, Trackman. Sadly not my Jack though. My Jack went from being a fourteenth century rebel to (some would say) a twentieth century authoritarian.

Trackman

Established Member
mmm.. well then, Strawberry Hill?
Jack Straw (dunno about the 14th century bit), Fats Domino (pub game) Blueberry Hill.

Exactly right, well done.

Jack (Straw) is not sad (is not blue) at this thrilling location (Blueberry Hill, where Fats Domino found his thrill) = Strawberry Hill.

Or, if you prefer, EU food surpluses used to be described topographically: wine lakes, butter mountains and the like (though I haven't heard those terms used in years), so a strawberry hill would be a smallish surplus. Produce is I believe a supermarket term for fresh fruit and veg - didn' t want to make it too easy.

All yours, Trackman

perryman

Okiedokie:

Mock him as he loves working in the countryside, but the French have given this man a nickname.

duncanp

Established Member
Bat and Ball

Sorry can we ignore this answer please.

I was trying to answer the previous clue (about the pub game) and somehow didn't scroll on to the next page to see that the answer was Strawberry Hill , which is a bit embarrassing. :oops::oops:

Last edited:

perryman

Clue 2: You can poke fun at this man but his unconventional style resulted in him not being interested with the Financial Times.

Clue 1: Mock him as he loves working in the countryside, but the French have given this man a nickname.

Calthrop

Established Member
So as to give a first response -- "any kind of !" -- I submit Butterley (Midland Railway Trust heritage line). Reasoning behind this is so very silly, that I'll prefer not to enlarge on it; save in the most unlikely event of this being the right answer...

perryman

Any response is a good response but unfortunately, it's not the correct answer. I would suggest my clues and the workings out to get there are probably more silly than your workings out... I'm just going to restructure the first clue without changing any of the words. It may help. It may not, of course:

Clue 1 (2nd version): Mock him but as he loves working in the countryside the French have given this man a nickname.

Clue 2 (no change): Clue 2: You can poke fun at this man but his unconventional style resulted in him not being interested with the Financial Times.

Calthrop

Established Member
Burbling, rather than dynamically seeking answer; also, offering perceived hints to fellow-would-be-solvers, which might be considered as cheating -- re either of which, @perryman, please tell me to shut up, and I'll comply... the chap being mocked / poked fun at -- I've kept thinking, "butt" -- of people's unkind humour (whence partly, my "Midland Railway Trust" thing). I don't know the roll-call of the national network's passenger stations at the present time, as well as I probably should -- had to Google, to find out that there is at present seemingly no open passenger station on the system whose name begins with "Butt..." (urban trams and metros, and heritage outfits, might be a different ball-game) -- so "Butt..." stuff maybe a blind alley -- for what this is worth, to others; as above, don't know how (please forgive the metaphor) "collaboration between dunces" is regarded.

perryman

@Calthrop: You are very much on the right lines for the first part of the answer (a one word station, by the way) with your thinking, just maybe think more of a specific name to suit that end. The rest of the answer will then follow with ease (again, that's no clue).

perryman

Clue 1 (2nd version): Mock him (take the Mick) but as he loves working in the countryside (in the fields) the French have given this man a nickname (Mick le Field).

Clue 2 (no change): Clue 2: You can poke fun at this man (again, take the Mick) but his unconventional style (left field) resulted in him not being interested with the Financial Times (left field less FT = le Field).

Très bien, @duncanp, après vous (et malchanceux @plymothian).

duncanp

Established Member
Next clue:-

Many people in England will have had one of these after July 4th.