• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cadoxton

clue: concentrate on finding another word for provide

OK, this one is not getting any traction [pun intended], so I'll release it into the wild :cry:.

Leaders of (a pointer to the first letters) corporate social responsibility = csr
provide alternative (suggests changing the word provide) = donate
integration (a hint to an anagram) = csr + donate

= doncaster

open floor..

DaleCooper

Established Member
OK, this one is not getting any traction [pun intended], so I'll release it into the wild :cry:.

Leaders of (a pointer to the first letters) corporate social responsibility = csr

= doncaster

open floor..

Another clue would have been welcome; there are a lot of synonyms for provide.

Seacook

= doncaster

open floor..

Indirect anagrams are considered by many to be unfair in cryptic clues. I am among that number. They have their place when used sparingly but in crosswords you will have some letters in place from other clues and will know the length of the answer; and, as Dale Cooper implied, there ought not to be too many synonyms.

If you can find a copy, Ximenes on the Art of the Crossword (1966) by D S Macnutt is a seminal work on clue writing that came down firmly against indirect anagrams. Teach Yourself Crosswords (1975) by Alec Robins is very good, much easier to get hold of, and is based on Macnutt's work.

Calthrop

Established Member
As it's open floor --

We lack emblem for places like this (main-line junction with two branches, both abandoned) – there ought to be one.

cadoxton

Indirect anagrams are considered by many to be unfair in cryptic clues....

If you can find a copy, Ximenes on the Art of the Crossword (1966) by D S Macnutt is a seminal work on clue writing that came down firmly against indirect anagrams...

Seems to me that these published critics must of struggled with this cryptic style despite being very prevalent. This style can still can be found today in the Guardian Cryptic Crosswords.

The whole point of a cryptic clue is to have difficult clues which indicate the solutions indirectly [however indirectly]. No-one really wants a clue to be solved within 5 minutes of posting, do they?

I do though acknowledge posting an obscure synonym reference, which did not help matters :oops:

Last edited:

Seacook

Seems to me that these published critics must of struggled with this cryptic style despite being very prevalent. This style can still can be found today in the Guardian Cryptic Crosswords.

The whole point of a cryptic clue is to have difficult clues which indicate the solutions indirectly [however indirectly]. No-one really wants a clue to be solved within 5 minutes of posting, do they?

I do though acknowledge posting an obscure synonym reference, which did not help matters :oops:

Clues can be difficult while not being unfair. The two are not incompatible. Once an answer is revealed, the reaction should be "oh, I never thought of that," not "that clue cannot be read so as to point to that answer."

Unusual clue types do exist but they have explanatory text to indicate the approach; examples can include printer's devilry clues where the answer has to be inserted into the clue to form a new sentence.

In cryptic crosswords other information is available - the length of the words in the clue, and any crossing letters. This is not the case here although the restriction in subject matter to stations means that a definition of the answer is not required.

No one really wants awkward inelegant clues do they?