• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Well known portrait of Sir Winston Churchill suggests a number = Five

The "five", we read, suggests the whereabouts of a portrait of the eminent gent; but I remain completely baffled. Any chance of elucidation?

duncanp

Established Member
I was referring to the portrait of Sir Winston Churchill on the back of a £5 note.

Perhaps I was trying to be to much of a smart a*** :D

Calthrop

Established Member
I was referring to the portrait of Sir Winston Churchill on the back of a £5 note.

Perhaps I was trying to be to much of a smart a*** :D

Not at all -- I was being spectacularly dim, and am now kicking self accordingly.

Calthrop

Established Member
Might one imagine hearing tell of Shakespeare, far from his native heath, composing a sonnet in praise of a grain-grinding installation?

Karl

On Moderation
The missus became extremely stressed when I lost a Polo Mint on this station. She lost it when it happened again a month later! :)

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm going to take a total "flyer", prompted by your Polo Mint theme. The town of Llantrisant -- site of the Royal Mint nowadays -- is sometimes referred to by its detractors as "the hole with the Mint". Will thus suggest Pontyclun station; which in its "former incarnation", was Llantrisant station.

Karl

On Moderation
It pains me to say you've got it Dale!

Lose an 'I' from 'Polo Mint' becomes an anagram.

PMT also happens to be..... well you know! :)

Nice one. Your turn.

duncanp

Established Member
This bird of prey used to live in London, we hear, but has now moved to the Home Counties.