• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

perryman

It took Googling after the event, for me to "get" where the "Levis" bit came in -- that much of a guess ! Anyway...

Supreme Being, Mr. Gore, and a long-ago panda, get together in outermost commuterland.

Chalfont & Latimer?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

perryman

I'm afraid not. Would love to know how you got C & L ...

Unsurprisingly, without too much thought: Chalfont as 'al' (Gore) and for some reason I can't fathom out I thought the former cartoon character 'Alf' was a panda, where is transpires the he was/is an alien. So I'll move on.

perryman

Unsurprisingly, without too much thought: Chalfont as 'al' (Gore) and for some reason I can't fathom out I thought the former cartoon character 'Alf' was a panda, where is transpires the he was/is an alien. So I'll move on.

But the comeback may be on: Godalming.

Calthrop

Established Member
Godalming it is: the Deity / Al Gore, as you rightly submit / Ming, London Zoo's beloved World War II-era giant panda.

The floor is yours !

perryman

My American father & really nice brother tell me that safe keeping starts in their city.

Calthrop

Established Member
Poppleton?? (Pop -- brother Larry who's so nice that he's perfect or all-but, therefore p.l. -- the "city" of Eton, near Windsor [in the US, a three-houses-and-a-pub hamlet quite often calls itself ' **** City ' ] ) -- desperate, I know...

perryman

Motherwell?
Poppleton?? (Pop -- brother Larry who's so nice that he's perfect or all-but, therefore p.l. -- the "city" of Eton, near Windsor [in the US, a three-houses-and-a-pub hamlet quite often calls itself ' **** City ' ] ) -- desperate, I know...

No to both but as mentioned to @444045, on the right track with the family thing. But it’s not as easy as just getting that bit right.

perryman

Paisley - "pa" for father, "isley" as in the Isley Brothers was my thinking.

The “pa” bit is correct and is a clue/aid to part of the answer. And the “Isley” bit deserves to be be correct but isn’t. Nice thinking though.

The station concerned is a one-word answer.

plymothian

I'm going to try for a curveball and say Chester.

Chester is a town in Pennyslvania, coded PA (American father). Really nice brother to refer to a like-named place. A chest is somewhere you can keep something safe, which starts the city CHEST-er.

perryman

I'm going to try for a curveball and say Chester.

Chester is a town in Pennyslvania, coded PA (American father). Really nice brother to refer to a like-named place. A chest is somewhere you can keep something safe, which starts the city CHEST-er.

It's not Chester. The 'PA' is spot on, as a clue to part of the answer, linked to the 'really nice brother' (again, in a vague sort of way). Re the other part of the answer, you are along the right lines. Closer (again, not a cryptic clue).

perryman

More wild guessing -- Caerphilly?

American father = Pa = Official 2 letter code for the state of Pennsylvania.
Really nice brother = brother who loves me = love = brotherly love = Philadelphia, Pennsylvania = Philly
Safe keeping starts in their city = care = Caer + Philly = does indeed get us to Caerphilly.

Well done, the floor is yours.

Calthrop

Established Member
American father = Pa = Official 2 letter code for the state of Pennsylvania.
Really nice brother = brother who loves me = love = brotherly love = Philadelphia, Pennsylvania = Philly
Safe keeping starts in their city = care = Caer + Philly = does indeed get us to Caerphilly.

Well done, the floor is yours.

Thanks; but -- so much in the shape of cumulative hints and help along the way; and I was metaphorically groping through dense fog throughout -- I really can't feel that here, I merit a turn. Open floor, please.