• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
Pickering, on the North Yorkshire Moors railway, as it sounds like "Pick a ring"

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
As gaunt Serb hitman, Ma; but I can't see it. (This is a comment, by the way -- not an attempt at suggesting a station name :smile: ...)

Calthrop

Established Member
Said the history teacher, HITS WHAT REIGN? -- about it being an anagram: still no notion what the station might be, I fear.

duncanp

Established Member
Yes, Totteridge and Whetstone is correct, being an anagram of hated tweet's trending too.

Your turn

Calthrop

Established Member
With the "cardinal" bit -- Manningtree? (I still don't see the T. Brown connection; but I haven't read the book, and know only the names of the very-first-rank characters.)

Calthrop

Established Member
I'd forgotten the "not National Rail" factor. However, things "cardinal" now have thoughts going in another direction...

edit a couple of minutes later: aha ! How about East Boldon (Tyne & Wear Metro) -- Tom's best pal at Rugby, Harry "Scud" East ("cardinal" compass point) would have, like Drake, bowled on.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Sorry for noticing this so late... East Boldon is absolutely correct. Well done Calthrop.

Dr. Arnold wishes to see you in his study, young sir... just kidding ! Thanks.

Not far from where Mr. Peel did his thing -- we hear, in archaic lingo, of a person equipping a seasonal singer with death-dealing gear.

Is it Armathwaite? Supply with deathly gear: to arm. Seasonal singer: seem to recall from old books that Carol singers were called 'waits' in ye olde times. Not sure about the 'th'. And just struck me, after ages pondering about Tamworth, Staffordshire and Westminster, that Mr Peel might not be the politician but John Peel of view-halloo fame, who plied his trade in the Cumbrian fells.

Calthrop

Established Member
Which you've got it in one, cully. The 'th' bit: "archaic lingo" -- he / she "armeth" (arms) the "wait". Mr. Peel here is indeed -- as figured by you -- the renowned north-western huntsperson.

The floor is yours !