• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Hoping not to be trespassing too badly against etiquette rules; I'll have another shot.

Perhaps, advice concerning budget-accommodation-quest, to lagomorph (bewildered) -- dearer hotel ! scram, bunny

Hmm. I cunningly deduce that the station name includes the word 'and', which narrows it down.

And I have learned what a lagomorph is.

Edit:

More likely, Mycroft will be tut-tutting at the lamentable decline of my deductive powers. No 'and', but the mix of letters resolves itself, perhaps, into Burnley Manchester Road?

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Burnley Manchester Road is absolutely right -- indeed an anagram.

Lagomorph -- mammal of the order including the hares, rabbits, and pikas -- a splendidly grandiloquent word to employ for the ordinary old rabbit... (someone in another message board on which I take part, uses the wondrous posting name of "Laughing Lagomorph").

As the world turns -- the floor is once more yours, should you choose to take it.

johnnychips

Established Member
It is:

An argument = a spat
Wide tidal inlet = ria

Because = as
Famous Postman = Pat
Turbulent air = ria

and of course, Greendale is in Cumbria

All yours!

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank you; but I feel that in the end, you had to all-but give it away. I'll ask for "open floor", please.

johnnychips

Established Member
If nobody is up for it, I’ll do a straightforward one to set us up for the weekend:

Because, Geoff, a lot of trees have recently grown at this station...

duncanp

Established Member
How about Wellesley Road, a tram stop in Croydon, after Arthur Wellesley, who was the Duke of Wellington.

ls2270

Established Member
You’re thinking along the right lines but not got the right one yet! Geographically Wellesley Road is the closest to the correct answer.