• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

duncanp

Established Member
Yes Tonypandy is correct.

I couldn't think up a more difficult clue on the spur of the moment.

Your turn.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Tonypandy, is one of those Welsh names which in the language of that land, are fine and dignified; but sound daft when transliterated into English (I set the name as an answer in this game, a couple of years ago).

On the old company's "dryer side": we maybe hear a harsh employer's staff members protesting about -- and having trouble believing -- their colleague Edmund's having been fired from his job.

Calthrop

Established Member
Alternative clue (with a bit of apprehension about getting into trouble for political incorrectness): Caribbean chef, far from home, addresses his pupil:
Jus' ax, mun; d'ham got to go in before d'iguana...

Calthrop

Established Member
Saxmundham surely. Iguanas not an essential ingredient of Caribbean cooking.

Although as I understand, they're favoured eating in, especially, Trinidad and Guyana... Saxmundham it indeed is. (My original clue -- "Mun" is sometimes a diminutive of Edmund; imagined his former colleagues exclaiming re their tyrannical employer: "[he] sacks Mun -- damn !")

Your floor.

neilmc

Not Greenfaulds. The estuary is the Thames estuary. The second clue is a verbal one "sounds like ..."

Calthrop

Established Member
Greenhithe ?? ("hi, the -- emergency services aren't needed" -- am sure that I'm being silly here).

neilmc

Johnny got it - Grays as in battleship/charcoal grey, in American spelling. Also "graze" as in slight wound or to eat as a herbivore.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Thanks, am a bit busy to come up with one right now. Open Floor for anyone who fancies a go or ill sort one tomorrow if nobody takes it on

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks -- blundering to the answer, rather; though I'm aware (post hoc) of the film -- they're in the French Revolution...

Appropriately, re Highland regiment: we kind-of hear / see, inspecting officer rebuking private for failing to polish his boots to required standard.

Calthrop

Established Member
Alternative clue: To poultry-census-taking bureaucrat: words of farmer, suspicious but confused -- a hen scan, eh?

duncanp

Established Member
Achnasheen, being an anagram of A hen scan eh or from the first clue "Ach, na(e) sheen"

duncanp

Established Member
Next clue:-

When translated into German, sounds like somewhere you would accomodate your pet rodent.

Calthrop

Established Member
Probably "reaching" more than a bit; however -- rabbits, though now reckoned as in the order Lagomorphia, used to be considered rodents; and the orders are closely related. "Rabbit" in German: Kaeninchen. If you're extremely fond of your pet, I suppose you might construct a mini-town for it to live in: so, Kennington (London Underground) ?