• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CSA on DLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SqUaShIe P

Hello all
Ive just wondered, How does one get a job as a customer service agent on the docklands light railway?
Not saying that im looking for a job on there, I much prefer a hauled set, but I was just thinking, ive never seen or heard of any vacancies on there, maybe i just look in all the wrong places or know all the wrong people :lol:
To me, the DLR seems to be an ever expanding network, with an increacing ammount of trains...
Would the recruitment be under Sirco or TFL?
and i suppose there would be a minimum age since they opearte trains manually on sundays and in emergency situations.

all replies appreciated
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry, I just realised this thread shouldnt be under the NR section.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daniel

Established Member
The DLR have just closed a large recruitment drive for PSA's (Passenger Service Assistants)!

I saw it advertised on a DLR train, and the link was to a Serco website :)

Daniel

Established Member
FYI I have been informed they will be re-opening applications in January. Good luck.

lauraGeeGee

They recruit frequently. Keep an eye on the website. I did hear they'd recently cancelled the next training course but that may not last long, with the Olympics and route extensions plus 3 car running coming into play, they'll be casting the net again I'm sure.

I was a Passenger Service Agent for 5 years until 2007.

It is a nice little number, good pay etc. It was the dealing with the public and revenue protection that got me out of there, got worse when Oyster came in. You do tickets on your own, not in the best parts of London, with little or no back up. For me, I enjoyed it most when my train failed as then I got to drive it properly!

You're right as in it being obviously safety critical, same drink and drugs, Hidden rules etc.

Anything you want to know, I'd be happy to help!

Dolive22

What is the training like for a PSA? Is it most like a drivers training or a guards? How long is it?

lauraGeeGee

It is pretty intense! BUT, Nothing like for a mainline driver, that goes on for 6 months plus that again for route knowledge and train handling. Your brain does hurt for a few weeks though!

You learn the SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) Which is the DLR Rule book equivalent. Some of the mechanics of the trains for fault finding etc, you are trained on driving the trains. They have to be manually driven in the depots at Poplar and Beckton, and in the event of a signalling failure etc. There are signals in depots, simple red and green, you will be trained on that and route knowledge too. Oh and my least favourite bit, revenue and Oyster!

Do yourself a favour and learn the routes, stations etc before training if you can as that'll give you a head start, not to mention, will also look good in the interview. As a PSA, you cover all routes on the DLR system.

When I did the training, back in 2002, it was about 7 weeks of training. Then you go out and "shadow" a PSA for 10 shifts before being let out on your own.

joeynova27

i just applied for this today, tell me the truth is it any good? im currently a csa for london underground, just need more cash to move out lol,

thanks in advance

desire01

hi there @LAURAGEEGEE!! hope your well?! I was wondering if you could give a slight insight into what the next stage is like after you apply? what does the assesment consist of without obviously giving too much away(although you dont work for them anymore) lol .......... its just your the perfect person i wanted to ask. As i dont know anyone currently in this role and have just applied myself and been succesful and just kinda wanted to know what to expect?
regards
Desire

lauraGeeGee

So sorry but to be honest, I can't remember much of it! I do remember there were 3 parts. A written test, a group exercise and the interview.

This was in 2002 so it may well have changed!

The test was just a general problem solving thing, the trick is to answer as many questions accurately as you can rather than rushing to finish them all. The group exercise, we were given a scenario and had to work through what we would do in the event of an emergency in a group discussion, speak up but don't try to hold the floor completely. They're looking for people who aren't afraid to speak up but who also would work well in a team. The interview was the usual thing really, just do a bit of research on the company.

Be prepared, you may wait around for the next stage. Typical railway, can drag their heels when it comes to recruitment!:roll:

Good luck!

As I said before, it's not a bad little number and the pay is good. It's excellent if you enjoy working closely with the public!<D;)

SDJH

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone else has an interview/assessment for the 6th August?

Laura it's a bit personal, but what is it you do now out of interest, thank you for all your comments on here, helps us newbies understand! If you were there for 5 years, must be quite an enjoyable job!

SDJH

Hiya! Sorry just read my original message, I haven't had my assessment yet, it's in September! 6th Sept at 10.30. I've been trying to hunt down other people that have either had an interview or are attending the one on the 6th, but not much luck yet! Is yours on the 6th? I need the job too, but there's always something else if worse comes to worst - although it's what I'd like to do and I've been out of work since being made redundant! :D

rayray1

heyy yea mine is on the 17th of sept, Im waiting for a friend who knws sme1 who use to work for DLR as a passenger service agent for sme info.. i'l let u knw if i find nyting important for the interview...

SDJH

Wicked Boombox, see you there then! Do you work in the rail industry already or having a change of scenery?

Boombox

Having a change of scenery. Decided after 7 years of doing a dead end job I need to do something I'll enjoy! Also, I've wanted to do something like this since I was a little kid, so as sad as it sounds, this job would kind of be a dream come true for me! haha

SDJH

Ah cool, when did you apply Boombox? I applied back in March, guessing you've probably been waiting aslong as I have if not longer! I've always loved travel, trains, planes etc. I was cabin crew for a few years so I'm hoping that'll work in my favour, lots of passengers, safety and securtity etc.

Just looked at other posts are saw you have been to an assessment day already, so you probably know more than most! I hope things are different for you this time round mr!

Hopefully if you/I are successful we wont have to wait as long until the next stage!

Last edited:

Boombox

Yeah I had an assessment day back in November last year, and was told I missed out on getting a job by 2 people, and they told me to apply again next time round, which I did in March, just like you. So hopefully I'll be a little bit luckier this time round!

Good luck anyway, I hope you do well. :D

Stevekay

Hi people just wanted to ask the those who have recently had their assessment if they have any tips for me as I have my one round the corner. Thanks in advance!

marvelle

How did it go

SDJH & Boombox???

rayray1 i'll see you there on the 17th.

Anybody else find out anything about the interview?

Last edited:

bearberry

Joeynova... (or anyone else who passed the assessments in September...) have you had a start date as yet..? Or are we all still waiting...? :rolleyes:

Stevekay

bearberry from what i know there has been a group which recently just started their training now the next group to start will be the sepetember lot but as the training lasts 8 weeks it might be another month till you get a call

joeynova27

Sorry to be retarded.. did you mean no start date till Sep 2011?

Thats rubbish! May i ask what your source of information was?

Status
Not open for further replies.