• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CSA2 - London Underground (07/06/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bucephalus

I have this friend that would love to become a tube driver. He's aware of the fact that the job is essentially only open to internals. I think he should apply for the above job.

Should he be entirely truthful about his motivations in the application or should he describe the manning of barriers as his life long carrier goal?

I have this friend that would love to become a tube driver. He's aware of the fact that the job is essentially only open to internals. I think he should apply for the above job.

Should he be entirely truthful about his motivations in the application or should he describe the manning of barriers as his life long carrier goal?
Apply!
Tube drive is Open to internals 99% of the time so getting in from outside is unlikely.

I would be truthful, always found this to be the best way. Then they know that you plan to stay with the company. When driver jobs will open again is a different story

L401CJF

Established Member

From experience, interviewers like it when you ask about progression opportunities and make it clear you're interested on moving up should you get a job offer, definitely be truthful

Bucephalus

From experience, interviewers like it when you ask about progression opportunities and make it clear you're interested on moving up should you get a job offer, definitely be truthful
My friend says thanks and is very clear about how to proceed

Bucephalus

edit: I got my answer. Stage 1 and 2 assessments are done on separate occasions

Last edited:

Robb7

Applied and just sat first assessment at West Kensington on Tuesday. Am fairly confident I will have passed as the English assessments was virtually primary school level...

Stigy

Established Member

I would err on the side of caution when applying for a job in one grade and saying you want to ultimately become a driver. Although it’s not a problem to progress and is often encouraged, bear in mind that it’s this grade’s budget that will be used to pay for training etc and local managers don’t always want to take people on who are going to jump ship to another role as soon as one comes up. They also want demonstrable examples of why you’d want to do the job being recruited for, rather than the job you ultimately want in a few months or years.

Robb7

Applied for this, was accepted...passed first assessment then did role play where an actress was smoking in the ticket office and I had to assist and tell her to stop...went OK.
Then she handed me her ticket saying she couldn't get out which was for another zone. I picked up on this straight away and then the role play ended as she mimed buying a ticket for the zone we were in... I felt it went well.

Got email next day saying they're sorry but they won't be continuing my application.... No reason at all - It's enough to make you top yourself sometimes all this..

Thanhhh

Applied for this, was accepted...passed first assessment then did role play where an actress was smoking in the ticket office and I had to assist and tell her to stop...went OK.
Then she handed me her ticket saying she couldn't get out which was for another zone. I picked up on this straight away and then the role play ended as she mimed buying a ticket for the zone we were in... I felt it went well.

Got email next day saying they're sorry but they won't be continuing my application.... No reason at all - It's enough to make you top yourself sometimes all this..
My application was from late 2019 passed the first 2 assessments then it got put on hold because of covid. A few weeks ago they contacted again for me to attend the role play, had the same exact role play you had to do, felt I did horribly, the guy was smoking in ticket hall, I kept telling him he had to stop smoking, why he had to stop smoking, offered to let him outside the station to smoke and come back in, warned I would escalate if he wouldn’t. Felt like I was going around in circles as he was making it very difficult he wouldn’t stop. He eventually offered to put it in his pocket, but then he sat there for a moment and started talking about himself, so I made conversation on what he said then we expanded a bit and I left him. Then he came to the barrier and had wrong ticket, I explained it was the wrong ticket, he complained saying it was not his fault another staff member in the other station advised him to purchase it. I told him I fully understood its not his fault and apologised for my colleagues mistake but queried if he had another form of payment such as contactless debit card or cash. He didn’t, so I asked if he would be ok getting home as he needed to leave the station go party, he told me yes but also kept complaining that this hold up and mistakes was going to ruin his night, apologised again and explained I’m not trying to ruin his night and that I’d let him through as none of it was his fault. Then the role play ended and I felt terrible because the first half I felt I did so bad and resigned myself to getting a rejection email. This was on Friday, but come Monday I got the email saying I had passed and through to interview which I feel did well in and I got a conditional offer done my medical just waiting on start date now. Sorry for the long message, just thought I’d explain what I did in my role play as you had same scenario maybe it could help you.

Robb7

My application was from late 2019 passed the first 2 assessments then it got put on hold because of covid. A few weeks ago they contacted again for me to attend the role play, had the same exact role play you had to do, felt I did horribly, the guy was smoking in ticket hall, I kept telling him he had to stop smoking, why he had to stop smoking, offered to let him outside the station to smoke and come back in, warned I would escalate if he wouldn’t. Felt like I was going around in circles as he was making it very difficult he wouldn’t stop. He eventually offered to put it in his pocket, but then he sat there for a moment and started talking about himself, so I made conversation on what he said then we expanded a bit and I left him. Then he came to the barrier and had wrong ticket, I explained it was the wrong ticket, he complained saying it was not his fault another staff member in the other station advised him to purchase it. I told him I fully understood its not his fault and apologised for my colleagues mistake but queried if he had another form of payment such as contactless debit card or cash. He didn’t, so I asked if he would be ok getting home as he needed to leave the station go party, he told me yes but also kept complaining that this hold up and mistakes was going to ruin his night, apologised again and explained I’m not trying to ruin his night and that I’d let him through as none of it was his fault. Then the role play ended and I felt terrible because the first half I felt I did so bad and resigned myself to getting a rejection email. This was on Friday, but come Monday I got the email saying I had passed and through to interview which I feel did well in and I got a conditional offer done my medical just waiting on start date now. Sorry for the long message, just thought I’d explain what I did in my role play as you had same scenario maybe it could help you.
Well done.
I basically gave similar responses as you did, always courteous, polite and offering solutions and alternatives etc... So now I'm not sure what it was that wasn't up to scratch..
No point dwelling on it though and I have promised myself I won't let it make me have a bath with the toaster tonight.. thanks for your reply.

Twotwo

Well done.
I basically gave similar responses as you did, always courteous, polite and offering solutions and alternatives etc... So now I'm not sure what it was that wasn't up to scratch..
No point dwelling on it though and I have promised myself I won't let it make me have a bath with the toaster tonight.. thanks for your reply.

Are you able to elaborate more on what your scenario and your responses were. Everyone that I know who's passed this test has allowed the person to travel.

Bucephalus

Well done.
I'm sorry to hear that Robb. I do hope you know about the DLR position which is in this other thread:

Robb7

I'm sorry to hear that Robb. I do hope you know about the DLR position which is in this other thread:

Thanks Bucephalus.
I did see that and have applied - Despite my rather dramatic posting here I intend to soldier on with the resilience we all have within this group!

Bucephalus

Thanks Bucephalus.
I did see that and have applied - Despite my rather dramatic posting here I intend to soldier on with the resilience we all have within this group!
That's good to hear!

I had mine today. I have that sinking feeling as the role play ended too quickly. I forgot to ask the customer questions and forgot to offer further assistance.

I will be patient though one way or another, probably only 12 months until the next campaign if I was to guess

Last edited:

KCJones

My other half applied and did the online test but not had an email back yet !!

Bucephalus

My other half applied and did the online test but not had an email back yet !!
Someone from another tfl thread on here is in the same position, so there's at least a trend.

Found out I was unsuccessful in the role play. Does anyone know the how long I have to wait until I can apply again?

Sphun20

Someone from another tfl thread on here is in the same position, so there's at least a trend.

Found out I was unsuccessful in the role play. Does anyone know the how long I have to wait until I can apply again?
You don't necessarily have to wait but this comes out almost every other year pre-covid.

Robb7

Sorry to hear that, mate.

vantime

Apologies but I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this question but hey ho. I've an assessment booked next week at Ashfield House and am unsure as to what attire will be appropriate. Suit and tie? Smart / Casual? Thanks:s

bluegoblin7

Established Member
From experience I would always recommended suit and tie, although others say the smart end of smart casual is fine (there will likely be a mix of everything from jeans and a t-shirt through to full suit).

Tube driver

Always better to be overdressed for these occasions rather than underdressed.

Enjoy Ashfield House! Won’t be there for much longer. Canteen was pretty decent from what I remember but I haven’t been there for over 15 years!

Thanhhh

Apologies but I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this question but hey ho. I've an assessment booked next week at Ashfield House and am unsure as to what attire will be appropriate. Suit and tie? Smart / Casual? Thanks:s
Smart casual is ok for the assessment, even the role play I reckon smart casual is good. I wore grey jeans and a casual shirt with black trainers for the role play. Weather is getting warmer as well so I’m sure they’ll understand if you aren’t in a full suit

vantime

So I've managed to get myself offered the position of a CSA2. To be honest I was relaxed and doubtful I'd be deemed suitable as a old fella but there you go.
I can pick a start date between mid October and late November which suits me well as I need to get some finances in order as I'll be taking a sizable pay cut, but I think I'll be able to get by on the £28k.
Does anyone have a ballpark of what the take home on that is? Also a CSA1 I met said that it's par for the course to be promoted to a CSA1 at 12 months, which I did see that was an agreement with the unions a few years back but am not sure if that still stands.
Also I might make another post about the staff oyster card. Is it valid to use on national rail where oyster cards are accepted or just on the tube network?
I'm excited if a little anxious about this new path my life will be taking. Thanks.

Mawkie

Also I might make another post about the staff oyster card. Is it valid to use on national rail where oyster cards are accepted or just on the tube network?
Well done! Here is a graphic of Staff Pass availability on National Rail. Don't forget, TfL staff get a 75% discount on National Rail Annual Season Tickets too.

Attachments

• TfL_Staff_Oyster_card_valid_on_NR (1).pdf
    131.5 KB · Views: 36

vantime

Thanks for that attachment Mawkie. Unfortunately Potters Bar into Kings Cross isn't included. Maybe a season ticket for that route will be well used rather than High Barnet into town.

Established Member
So I've managed to get myself offered the position of a CSA2. To be honest I was relaxed and doubtful I'd be deemed suitable as a old fella but there you go.
I can pick a start date between mid October and late November which suits me well as I need to get some finances in order as I'll be taking a sizable pay cut, but I think I'll be able to get by on the £28k.
Does anyone have a ballpark of what the take home on that is? Also a CSA1 I met said that it's par for the course to be promoted to a CSA1 at 12 months, which I did see that was an agreement with the unions a few years back but am not sure if that still stands.
I'm excited if a little anxious about this new path my life will be taking. Thanks.

Congrats.

The salary calculator.co.uk is pretty good at accurate take home salary figures:

https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/

Mawkie

Thanks for that attachment Mawkie. Unfortunately Potters Bar into Kings Cross isn't included. Maybe a season ticket for that route will be well used rather than High Barnet into town.
Potters Bar to Finsbury Park is a common cost saving Season Ticket (then using Victoria line etc).

Some CSA2s are now doing dead earlies and dead lates on certain groups so using the Staff Taxis may also become a regular feature for you - and they go out to Potters Bar.

Alternatively, as you suggest, drive to Cockfosters or High Barnet and park.

A lot will depend on which group you get allocated to.

Status
Not open for further replies.