• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CT First Class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
According to the timetable posters at Stoke-on-Trent, there is a Saturday only Crewe-Derby line service which features First Class, with first class available towards Derby on 1 morning journey and available on 1 evening journey towards Crewe.

Has anybody got any more info on this? (i.e. stock used, the perks over standard class travel, or even whether or not it actually exists :mrgreen: )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TicketMan

Lewisham2221 said:
According to the timetable posters at Stoke-on-Trent, there is a Saturday only Crewe-Derby line service which features First Class, with first class available towards Derby on 1 morning journey and available on 1 evening journey towards Crewe.

Has anybody got any more info on this? (i.e. stock used, the perks over standard class travel, or even whether or not it actually exists :mrgreen: )

Considering that no first class fare exists between Derby and Crewe I would be very suprised if these first class seats exist

clagmonster

Established Member
The only CT units with FC are the ex MML 170s and also 170397-9. Normally, the FC is declassified, so presumably this is either an exception or a typing error. I have used it when declassified and found it quite confortable, with ample legroom and decent seats. However, standard class in CT 170s is not that bad either.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Cheers fellas, I'll go with the typo option too. Was pretty confused when I read it so just thought I'd check it out.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
IMHO, Central's two best units are 170397 and 170398, the 3 car Porterbrook "spot hire" units. These have Central style interiors, but the middle car has an MML style First Class section, although not the buffet area. My favourite bit when I have that pair (sadly very rarely, IIRC I've had then twice in all my CT journeys) though, is the section behind the drivers cabs. These have seating similar to that in that area on the MML 170s, although in standard CT style, but they are arranged in 2+1 layout, making the area very spacious, especially when using the single row on the right hand side (which I do), and also have sockets and table lights. They are also in much better condition than the ex-MML 170s, being almost 4 years newer, and AFAIK not heavily used early in their lives. Sadly they are showing neglect though, and the last one I went had the table lights not working (most had the switches broken) and worse, as seems common with the smaller type of First Class seat on the 170s (as in the end sections on the MML 170s), a number were failing to lock in the normal position, forcing passengers to sit reclined. The latter must show something about modern seat design quality, since I've rarely known the reclining mechanism on the IC70s (the seats in Mk3s and Mk2fs) to not work perfectly, even on sets which have shown numerous signs of neglect and various other faults. On the other hand, the 170s seats, and many other modern types seem difficult enough to work at the best of times, usually requiring a lot of force, and often don't work at all. Even the design of the locking control was easier to use on the IC70s than many modern types.

AlexS

Established Member
The LHCS ones will very rarely in their lives have been forced by people who haven't paid a premium to use em, compared to the ex MML sets that have had grubby standard class fingers on em continually for a long while now!

Status
Not open for further replies.