• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast - day out suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Does anybody have any suggestions for places to visit on the Cumbrian Coast line between Lancaster and Carlisle? I've been to Carnforth (station), Arnside, Grange-over-Sands, Ulverston, St Bees...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Obvious other places to visit would be Ravenglass (particularly so if your visit coincides with the Ravenglass & Eskdale narrow gauge railway being open) and Corkickle/Whitehaven, including a visit to Michael Moon's bookshop.

Ulverston also probably worth more than a single visit.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The pub at Foxfield is very good - although it's closed for refurbishment at present.

robvulpes

Obvious other places to visit would be Ravenglass (particularly so if your visit coincides with the Ravenglass & Eskdale narrow gauge railway being open) .......
The Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway is now open daily. However there are some Covid-related constraints at present (pre-booking required, all intermediate stations closed etc.) See the website for details.

ChrisC

Established Member
It depends what sort of thing you are looking for.
Whitehaven has already been mentioned but Maryport is also quite interesting down by the harbour. It doesn’t look very promising as you exit the station but parts of the town are quite historic.
Ravenglass is always a nice place to wander around even if you don’t have time to go on the narrow gauge railway.
Seascale village is a bit grim but it’s a good place for a long beach walk especially to the south.
My favourite station to get off for a couple of hours, on a warm sunny day only, is Kirkby in Furness. There’s not much there but the marshes and views across the Duddon Estuary but once the train leaves it is silent apart from the sound of the birds. I can spend hours there wandering on the marshes and enjoying the views and the silence.

I’m beginning to feel the need to have a ride along the Cumbrian Coast again this summer. It must be about 5 years since I last did it.

Veteran Member
Maryport felt pretty dead when I visited between class 37s, but it's quite interesting - I preferred Whitehaven though.

D6130

Established Member
Dalton-in-Furness is a surprisingly interesting and historical little town - considerably older than Barrow - and has a couple of nice pubs for lunch.

_toommm_

Established Member
A walk along the beach from Drigg to Sellafield is interesting. You get the mix of the MOD firing site at Drigg to the lovely beach to the industrious Sellafield area. The walk has you sandwiched between the DRS locos and the nuclear wagons; and the rail network, at the end.

HSP 2

Carlisle is well worth a visit from the citadel that's right out side the station, you then have the cathedral and the castle.
Barrow the TMD can be worth a look as it sometime has units in warm storage on it. The Victorian town hall then a short walk to the high level bridge and the view of the docks and the Devonshire dock hall where they build the nuclear submarines. The Abby is always worth a look but it's a bit of a trek you get a brief view of it on the up side of the line between Dalton and Abby tunnels.
If you really feel energetic a clime up Black Combe at 1970 feet has some fantasist views Black Combe - Wikipedia

S&CLER

Silecroft probably the nearest station if you are thinking of that.
Yes, and a nice pub in the village, if you can call it a village. Be careful getting off the train at the down platform at Silecroft and don't try to cross the line until it's left; I had a hair-raising experience once not realising that another train was coming on the up line. Fortunately the bobby in the box shouted to (or rather, at) me to be careful. I 've walked Black Combe three times, once carrying a friend's ashes on a hot day. It is an uphill walk, not a climb,as there is a broad grassy track all the way. Notice the stone arrow set in the grass pointing you to the summit cairn. You can do it as a circular, no need to retrace your steps, but this will involve a bit of road walking on the way back to Silecroft.

From Kirkby in Furness you can walk over the hills to Ulverston, if you wish, a much shorter route than the railway; great views of the line and the Duddon estuary from Kirkby Fell.

Last edited:

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I went up Hoad Hill when I visited Ulverston a couple of weeks ago. Seems to be about half the distance (or even a third) of going up Black Combe. Might give it a go though. Nice tip.

I recently bought a Northwest 4 days in 8 Rover (£83.90) from Wigan. Based myself for 3 nights at The County Hotel, 400 yards from Carlisle Station. Double room en suite £95 for 3 nights. Had a great time. Stopped off at Carnforth on the way up. Lovely town and the Heritage Centre on the station is fabulous.
After checking in, caught the Cumbrian coast line to St Bees. Sun was out at low tide, so a fabulous early evening walk along the sandy beach. Both there and back I was pretty much the only passenger on the train.

Day 2, I bought an all day Stagecoach bus ticket for £11.50. Did Carlisle - Keswick 90 min journey, plus a few journeys on the open top buses around Derwentwater. Again, not many passengers, but Keswick itself was busy.

Day 3, I travelled to Settle on the Carlisle - Leeds line. Busy outwards, last return train was me and a couple of other passengers. After a pleasant walk from Stainforth Force, stopped off for a few pints at Settle Social Club, 2 mins from station. Friendly locals and a lovely club.

Day 4, I checked out and travelled south to meet a few friends in Ulverston. Visited the Laurel & Hardy Museum which was great and a walk around the bustling market town. Jumped on the train to Barrow, before returning to Wigan.

I still had one day rail vaildity, so the following week had another trip to Carnforth.

Great trip and thanks for all the recommendations on here, they were most appreciated.

atominside

I really fancy walking Black Combe, a big hill right by the sea.
Last year I did a did a circular walk starting from Green Road taking in Swinside Stone Circle then onto Black Combe and down to get the train at Silecroft, lots of varying scenery and a section at the start along some charming, almost green, walled lanes. Map and compass recommended!

mrcheek

Established Member
Harrington is an absolutely beautiful place to visit.

Theres basically nothing there, but I loved it

Gathursty

Established Member
I will always say Seascale and Sellafield. There is beauty if you overlook the nuclear power station.

_toommm_

Established Member
And I believe there is a walking route between those two stations which looks interesting.

Walk on the beach, then turn off onto the golf course (which is a public right of way), and then you’re walking in between Network Rail and Sellafield’s sidings.

The last bit as a little unnerving at first as it feels like somewhere you shouldn’t be, but I’ve always got a friendly hi from any workers I’ve passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.