• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast Loco Hauled Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
http://www.wnxx.com/news/index.htm

Reported on WNXX that the Cumbrian Coast LHCS services will finally begin in May after 3 years of waiting :P 2 sets are to be used, from the may timetable change onwards, with Class 37s and DBSOs likely to be used but not concerned.

Adam :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
As soon as the diagrams are known, I think that could be one for the frequently requested diagrams thread ;)

SprinterMan

Established Member
As soon as the diagrams are known, I think that could be one for the frequently requested diagrams thread ;)

Indeed so :)

http://railwayherald.com/uknews/loco-hauled-services-to-return-to-the-cumbrian-coast
Direct Rail Services has confirmed that it is to support Northern Rail in the operation of timetabled services on the Cumbrian Coast, while providing an increase in capacity across the North.

Discussions with Northern Rail and the Department for Transport have centred around the provision of two newly refurbished locomotive-hauled Mk2 sets operating on the Cumbrian Coast on a Monday to Friday basis. The move follows on from the succesful trials supported by the Nuclear Decommissioning Agency, Sellafield Ltd and Northern Rail in 2012. Although the exact train formation and choice of locomotive for the service is still to be confirmed, with the diagrams due to commence in May.

Adam :D

D6975

Established Member
Last I heard DRS only actually owned 2 DBSOs.
Have they acquired some more?
The existing 2 are supposedly for use in Anglia if that ever happens.

CC 72100

Established Member
No power-door or anything, but I understand that they're smart inside while still being very much mark 2s like we know

Established Member
telstarbox:2033246 said:
Do DRS still run the shuttle for NDA workers between Carlisle and Sellafield?
that ended years ago due to under-use apparently.

Established Member
Well no doubt I will enjoy a Loco Hauled trip on the Cumbrian what ever the Loco, but from a Normal customer viewpoint I hope this clapped out old junk is going to be reliable.:lol:

sprinterguy

Established Member
that ended years ago due to under-use apparently.
It wasn't that long ago! ;) Started running on 13th January 2012, for a six week trial period - so not quite three years ago yet. Not resumed since.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think so! 'Tis rare these days that I put on my bashers hat, but if there is a mid-afternoon departure southbound from Carlisle, as has been punted about, then that sounds like a shoe in for it to be dusted off for a trip out one Friday. :)

AJG3

Anything (obviously) apart from Pacers would be an improvement.

On 29 December, boarded a Northbound train from Ravenglass (0953); a single car 153. Standing room only by after Whitehaven, with passengers turned away at Workington, Maryport and Wigton....can it get any worse?

Andrew

PS Pacers don't seem to be used that often; is that because of wheel flange wear on the tight Currock curve on the M&C section?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I would hazard a guess that sales of Cumbria Round Robbins will go up a tad post May particularly if the Loco Hauled jobs do a full trip to Lancaster. I didnt think they would power door them but nice thought. Are they aircons?

D6975

Established Member
Do DRS still run the shuttle for NDA workers between Carlisle and Sellafield?

The announcement includes mention of a service from Carlisle that will get to Sellafield in time for the morning shift.
At the moment you can't get to Sellafield until gone 10:00 from the Carlisle direction.

The Cumbrian Coast Round Robin isn't a day rover ticket, it's only valid for one circular journey.
The Cumbrian Coast Day Ranger is the one likely to be more popular,even though it's just Carlisle-Barrow down the coast, it is a day rover and is significantly cheaper 19.50 v 29.50.

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
It wasn't that long ago! ;) Started running on 13th January 2012, for a six week trial period - so not quite three years ago yet. Not resumed since.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I think so! 'Tis rare these days that I put on my bashers hat, but if there is a mid-afternoon departure southbound from Carlisle, as has been punted about, then that sounds like a shoe in for it to be dusted off for a trip out one Friday. :)

I never understood the purpose of the original trial. Existing staff at Sellafield (or wherever) are not going to change their travel habits for the sake of a six week trial - unless it was free travel perhaps.

Who will train the passengers to open and close the doors? It's a long time since most (non enthusiast) travellers used slam door stock, if ever.

Much to do with this is already being discussed here - in between waffle about counting seats...
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110490

One issue which I've flagged up is the DBSOs, two of which are in DRS livery at RVEL, destined for Anglia. The surprise is that they are possibly not owned by DRS, but rather Abellio (oddly) with funding for them from the DfT for Anglia. Unless something has been renegotiated, this would suggest that two DBSOs are not available.

In addition, comments received (can't say from where..) suggest that one of the turns may be an out and back Preston-Carlisle turn. I note there are existing trains at 0519 from Preston and 1512 from Carlisle which pass Sellafield at peak times, for example. Presumably run-rounds at Carlisle & Preston wouldn't cause too much agro, permitting DRS to source loco/stock from Crewe at one end, Carlisle at the other.

Just speculation for now, nothing has been agreed yet.

Suraggu

Back in times gone by when loco hauled trains ran the full length they needed either bars on droplights or stewards in vestibules due to part of the having some extreme clearances? Is this still the case or has the restriction been lifted.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The announcement includes mention of a service from Carlisle that will get to Sellafield in time for the morning shift.
At the moment you can't get to Sellafield until gone 10:00 from the Carlisle direction.

Which, given that Sellafield is the largest industrial complex in Europe, and draws staff from far and wide, is a bit daft when you think about it. The local roads aren't all that brilliant so car commuting isn't a great option. In essence, the railway has abused it's monoploly position over Sellafield staff for years.

Years ago, in first generation dmu days, there would be a two-car dmu for general public use, and a second dmu attached to the rear, locked out of use until Sellafield and thus reserved for workers use.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Who will train the passengers to open and close the doors? It's a long time since most (non enthusiast) travellers used slam door stock, if ever.

That's a very good point. There will be plenty of users who will assume that the door can be opened from the inside, whether or not they are looking for a button to press.

Established Member
Back in times gone by when loco hauled trains ran the full length they needed either bars on droplights or stewards in vestibules due to part of the having some extreme clearances? Is this still the case or has the restriction been lifted.

Would imagine bars will be fitted, bars were fitted for the trial train which ran a few years ago, either that or look at fitting some form of internal door handle and sealing the windows.

Yew

Established Member
Baxenden Bank:2033306 said:

Dont tell the users of the Ecml, Mml or GWML that!

ashworth

Established Member
Years ago, in first generation dmu days, there would be a two-car dmu for general public use, and a second dmu attached to the rear, locked out of use until Sellafield and thus reserved for workers use.

Even in quite recent years a 153 was attached to the usual 156 on the southbound trains in the afternoons. I'm not sure whether this still happens now that there is a more frequent service along the line than there was until a few years ago.

I wonder what the seating capacity will be for these locomotive hauled trains in comparison to the current 156 units. If there is not a big increase in the number of seats I can see a big problem of overcrowding if lots of rail enthusiasts begin to travel on them. Currently in the summer months it is usually standing room only south of Sellafield until Millom because of all the Sellafield workers and so any tourist boarding at Ravenglass are already getting on to a crowded train.
Perhaps it is just my imagination, but whenever I have travelled on these busy afternoon trains I have never found the Sellafield workers very friendly towards other rail users. Maybe it is from the days when they did have extra empty carriages attached for them that they seem to resent other passengers, especially tourists from being on their train! They get on in crowds and don't look very pleased when lots of other passengers travelling down from Whitehaven, St Bees etc. are sitting in what they seem to think are their seats. If the trains become even more popular with tourists and rail enthusiasts I don't think it will be appreciated.

al.currie93

No power-door or anything, but I understand that they're smart inside while still being very much mark 2s like we know

I looked in one at the DRS open day in July, they are really quite nice! I have a photograph but it's not online, I'll post it if anyone knows another way of posting other than using a link!

Established Member
Even in quite recent years a 153 was attached to the usual 156 on the southbound trains in the afternoons. I'm not sure whether this still happens now that there is a more frequent service along the line than there was until a few years ago.

I wonder what the seating capacity will be for these locomotive hauled trains in comparison to the current 156 units. If there is not a big increase in the number of seats I can see a big problem of overcrowding if lots of rail enthusiasts begin to travel on them. Currently in the summer months it is usually standing room only south of Sellafield until Millom because of all the Sellafield workers and so any tourist boarding at Ravenglass are already getting on to a crowded train.
Perhaps it is just my imagination, but whenever I have travelled on these busy afternoon trains I have never found the Sellafield workers very friendly towards other rail users. Maybe it is from the days when they did have extra empty carriages attached for them that they seem to resent other passengers, especially tourists from being on their train! They get on in crowds and don't look very pleased when lots of other passengers travelling down from Whitehaven, St Bees etc. are sitting in what they seem to think are their seats. If the trains become even more popular with tourists and rail enthusiasts I don't think it will be appreciated.

The trial ran with 4 coaches you would certainly need 4 coaches for a significant capacity increase on a 156

Chester025

These diagrams are 'doing the rounds' -

05:19 PRE - CAR [09:24]
09:38 CAR - BIF [12:08]
12:31 BIF - CAR [14:56]
15:12 CAR - PRE [19:30]

06:15 CAR - BIF [08:43]
09:08 BIF - CAR [11:34]
11:50 CAR - BIF [14:19]
14:52 BIF - CAR [17:19]

CosherB

Established Member
Have these DRS DBSO's ever seen the light of day? With the reliability of their 'heritage' locos at the moment, I'd have thought they'd be better to top and tail with 37's ...... just in case!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Please provide a cut and paste of the actual article as you need to be a member to read it. ;)

There's little in the wnxx thread that isn't covered here already, either in this specific thread on Cumbrian coast LHCS, or in the parent thread about the TPE rolling stock solution.

All that seems to have happened is that someone there wanted a separate thread for the LHCS discussion, but it isn't based on any additional info as far as I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.