• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast Loco Hauled Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

It is a shame there are problems with the Class 37's, do they have problems with the Norwich-Yarmouth ones as well?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The 68s are fine. Pity they can't get more than 2.5 coaches, though.

They are slightly limited in that there's no doing request stops, though.

One wonders why they can't put an extra carriage on and disable the back doors. Still, 2.5 carriages are better than the whole Sellafield shift trying to squeeze on a 153 (This has happenned while I've been sitting on it before.

As far as request stops are concerned, I often use Foxfield and Corkickle, so stopping at them suits me fine.

Established Member
You're spot on. They always have to stop. That's why I'm willing to bet a tenner they couldn't keep to time on some of the tighter unit timings, despite the plentiful horses.

They could of course opt to skip more of the request stops which I was under the impression they were going to do in the May timetable.

peri

It is a shame there are problems with the Class 37's, do they have problems with the Norwich-Yarmouth ones as well?
The Norwich sets are top and tailed and journey times are approx 1 hour as opposed to up to 4 hours. I think the coast route will be more exposed as well. I would think that the Norwich sets only need one and the Cumbria coast definitely needs two.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No. They stop* at all stops except Nethertown and Braystones.

*as in stop every time regardless of whether it's a request stop or not. There's no procedure for doing request stops on the LHCS services on the Cumbrian Coast.

How did they used to be done in BR days on LHCS? Driver stops unless the guard waves the green flag out of the window at him?

Tringonometry

They could of course opt to skip more of the request stops which I was under the impression they were going to do in the May timetable.

That's still the plan I believe, although I think the limited stops trains aren't just LHCS. A couple of them are DMU trips.

The big advantage is that the loco diagrams will have reasonable turnaround times at either end, so the timetable will be significantly more robust.

xotGD

Established Member
Were there actually any Loco Hauled trains with request stops? wasn't it just a DMU thing.
I've stuck my arm out to get a 37 to stop back in the day between Fort W and Mallaig. The 'clear signal to the driver' may have looked suspiciously like flailing, but it did have a legitimate purpose!

70014IronDuke

Established Member
The first train off Carlisle in the new TT, 2C38, on May 21 deps at 05.53 and does not arrive at Sellafield until 07.22.

I thought the trains were scheduled to arrive for the day shift workers. The early morning off Barrow is to the current schedule, so what's going on? Is this still to be LHCS?

Whatever, the later trains and the Sunday service are a fantastic improvement for the line and the entire area. Provided they deliver, that is. Will be interesting to see the station user figures as a result of this enhancement.

randyrippley

Established Member
Were there actually any Loco Hauled trains with request stops? wasn't it just a DMU thing.
There were several request stops on the Westbury-Weymouth route, a couple still survive. These existed during BR steam days, as well as periods of haulage by 35/31/25/37. During steam days some of the coaches were non-corridor. So how did that work? Were tickets checked for destination prior to boarding and the guard / driver told? Difficult to see how it could be done reliably

randyrippley

Established Member
How easy would it be to fit the coaches up for push-pull twin loco use, similar to the original Glasgow-Edinburgh express sets? As long as the 37s still have working blue star MU kit they won't need modification. Just needs the coach lighting circuits to be terminated to carry the control signals - anyone know how much work that is?
With a pair of 37s, one at each end reliability would be improved: both by having locomotive redundancy, and by getting rid of the unreliable DBSO fleet

mde

How easy would it be to fit the coaches up for push-pull twin loco use, similar to the original Glasgow-Edinburgh express sets? As long as the 37s still have working blue star MU kit they won't need modification. Just needs the coach lighting circuits to be terminated to carry the control signals - anyone know how much work that is?
With a pair of 37s, one at each end reliability would be improved: both by having locomotive redundancy, and by getting rid of the unreliable DBSO fleet
It was twin loco previously, before the DBSO - no?

Top & tail usage long term wouldn't be cheap… of course, neither is a failure mind you, but, still - even the DFT might question that one.

themiller

Top & tail usage long term wouldn't be cheap… of course, neither is a failure mind you, but, still - even the DFT might question that one.
When top and tailed, only the leading loco was providing power which, I think, was why they had trouble keeping to the booked times. This improved when the DBSOs were added and the second loco done away with as the load became many tons lighter. It was very noticeable when accelerating from station stops. Totally OT but I remember once on the north Wales coast line when trains from Holyhead to Crewe were 37 hauled, the train in front of the one I was on failed (it could have been an AWS problem as the engine was still running) so our 37 detached, ran past the failed set and coupled on the front and pushed back and recoupled onto our rake. The loco drivers didn't know how to connect the MW so one of the rail enthusiasts on one of the trains explained it, the connections were made and the double length, double-headed train carried on to Crewe with both 37s providing power.

Established Member

Yes T&T but not working in multiple as suggested by 'randyrippley', as the carriages are clearly carrying MU controls from the DBSO one wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult, however this seems to assume that its mainly the DBSO that is the problem which while they may have caused some issues the 37's are clearly an issue as well.

The bottom line is while its clearly brought some interest to the line and offered plenty of good days out for myself and other enthusiasts they need to go as soon as DMU's are available.

mde

The bottom line is while its clearly brought some interest to the line and offered plenty of good days out for myself and other enthusiasts they need to go as soon as DMU's are available.
Refurb a few of the Pacers… *ducks*

With the clearance issues out there, choices of replacement DMUs are surely quite limited - perhaps some of the dog boxes coming off lease would work (in multiple - or, reform them back to 155s)?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Ah well, I'm all set to chance it tomorrow starting with the 10:03 ex Preston (from Lancaster) hoping it makes the connection at Barrow, thence to Ravenglass picking up the 15:34 onwards to Carlisle later in the day. The main thing is I'm taking a non enthusiast with me so if it all goes belly up then I'll get some serious grief after selling the virtues of this wonderful journey to them, wish me luck!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah well, I'm all set to chance it tomorrow starting with the 10:03 ex Preston (from Lancaster) hoping it makes the connection at Barrow, thence to Ravenglass picking up the 15:34 onwards to Carlisle later in the day. The main thing is I'm taking a non enthusiast with me so if it all goes belly up then I'll get some serious grief after selling the virtues of this wonderful journey to them, wish me luck!

I know the feeling. Went to watch the rugby with a mate in Whitehaven and suggested we get the train back to Lancaster for a beer afterwards. Needless to say, the said train didn't turn up and I had egg on my face.

This was scheduled a unit in pre-loco hauled days btw.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes T&T but not working in multiple as suggested by 'randyrippley', as the carriages are clearly carrying MU controls from the DBSO one wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult, however this seems to assume that its mainly the DBSO that is the problem which while they may have caused some issues the 37's are clearly an issue as well.

Why. If they're shown to work well with another class of loco, I don't see any hurry.

themiller

The rear 68 is probably 'dead in train' though, I'm guessing. randyrippley's post appears to be asking about top & tail with both locos providing power.
Although not dead (the trailing loco engine can be heard idling past my house when the lead loco is accelerating) it is not assisting.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I know the feeling. Went to watch the rugby with a mate in Whitehaven and suggested we get the train back to Lancaster for a beer afterwards. Needless to say, the said train didn't turn up and I had egg on my face.

This was scheduled a unit in pre-loco hauled days btw.

That must have been a really unusual occurrence then, surely it's only the EE 37s that always breakdown! ;)

Established Member
Why. If they're shown to work well with another class of loco, I don't see any hurry.
Well aside the fact they must be costing an absolute fortune, 2 new Loco's to hire 2 sets of drivers, I gather the 2.5 coach seating capacity is also now inadequate on some services.

Status
Not open for further replies.