• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast Loco Hauled Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
05:50 Barrow - Carlisle cancelled due to no guard, set running ECS to Carlisle. 09:03 Carlisle - Barrow will be starting from Workington too according to journey check.

xotGD

Established Member
Reading between the lines from a tweet from Northern: https://twitter.com/northernassist/status/1078607557940391936

"It has been brought to our attention that unofficially, today is the last day of scheduled service for the class 37s. It is not set to be their last date, however they currently have no dates scheduled for further service."

Read of that that what you will.
Sounds like they will still be on standby in case of a shortage of units.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, assuming we ever get a train service back, I shall miss those mk2's when going to the rugby.

route101

Established Member
Ah was hoping to go down and get one last go on them . Tomorrow is strike so chance

Harbornite

Established Member
At least the normal passengers won't have to put up with the basher's stench any more. The smell on the penultimate day was bad enough; the state of the some of the specimens on board was really something.

dk1

Veteran Member
I would say the DBSOs could now return to Norwich as originally intended but doubt the refresh/training on these would be worth it now the East Anglian short hauled set is on borrowed time.

Iskra

Established Member
At least the normal passengers won't have to put up with the basher's stench any more. The smell on the penultimate day was bad enough; the state of the some of the specimens on board was really something.

Or all the litter they leave.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Presumably they'll still have to put up with the lack of guards or signalmen/women not turning up though? Or will staffing miraculously improve on Monday?

Harbornite

Established Member
Presumably they'll still have to put up with the lack of guards or signalmen/women not turning up though? Or will staffing miraculously improve on Monday?

Perhaps, but at least the trains won't smell like sewers so there's that.

Didn't smell on Friday, perhaps one or two people have over-sensitive noses?
It didn't smell on Thursday either. On a normal day you would be lucky to get half a dozen bashers on these trains. I've been on them many times and been the only enthusiast onboard. The only trouble I have ever seen has been caused by the local Cumbrian drinking fraternity.

_toommm_

Established Member
It didn't smell on Thursday either. On a normal day you would be lucky to get half a dozen bashers on these trains. I've been on them many times and been the only enthusiast onboard. The only trouble I have ever seen has been caused by the local Cumbrian drinking fraternity.

The 12:08 from Carlisle was often packed with enthusiasts - normally a full coach next to the loco.

Rail Blues

Some bashers stink, just like some of the general public.

A fair point, as a shorter person, I've had my face wedged into the armpit of fellow bus passengers to know that.

Although I've spent years arguing with friends and colleagues that an interest in the railways isn't shorthand for an anti-social virgin with jam jar specs, a cagoule and a personal hygiene problem, but i admit some enthusiasts make that argument harder to make. There's a group of spotters who hang out on Peterborough station and fit pretty much every cliché and are pretty inconsiderate and borderline rude to actual passengers. Their behaviour makes me cringe.

Steamie Boxes

I was on the 12.08 on Thursday, I didn’t notice a large smell (or maybe it was because I had a SubWay to not notice the smell)

xotGD

Established Member
Perhaps a separate thread on the pungency of cranks is in order.

Meanwhile, will the 37s still be on standby in case of unit shortage?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
A rather large proportion it would seem, enough to stink a whole coach out.
You need to get about a bit more to see what the general public can be like.

Some can make even the most disgusting bashers appear like high-class citizens.

The fact is, the population is hugely diverse. Generalisation does no one any favours. Just makes people appear judgemental and prejudiced.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Unfortunately Saturday Northern strikes and the infrequent nature of the service have continuously precluded me from making use of this service since I realised what was 'at stake'.

A shame, but alas such haulage (or equivalent) will still be available on other routes at some point no doubt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.