• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast post-Cl 37 haulage

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Much as the introduction of Cl 37s stirred interest over Cumbrian Coast services (including my own), from my casual observation on RTT, the reliability and timekeeping on the line has shot up since they were withdrawn at the beginning of this year.

I'm sure there are incidents of delay and cancellations - but unless I've been lucky when taking a look, they are far, far fewer than a year or two back.

The line now also has a very decent Sunday service - most especially the Whitehaven-Carlisle section.

Have the public responded to these improvements, or has the Cl 37 debacle damaged the line's reputation permanently?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do you have any delay statistics on this line or is this conjecture?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Do you have any delay statistics on this line or is this conjecture?

As I wrote - from my casual observations.

But you don't need a PhD in statistics to notice the difference. With the 37s in service, typically two or three days a week there were trains cancelled, huge delays caused by failures, especially over the single line sections north of Sellafield. Apart from one occasion, when one of the Lancaster - Carlisle workings was caped (IIRC), I've not noticed anything like this whenever I've browsed the services for the past 5 months. But I admit, that is only occasionally.

Roose

My understanding is that the new Sunday services are not especially well publicised.

As for statistics, the Copeland Rail User Group and Furness Line Action Group monitor services and they consistently showed that loco-hauled Class 37 coaching stock services were significantly worse than those operated by dmu or (briefly) by Class 68 plus LHCS.

Staff issues on the Coast line, and to a lesser extent the Furness line seem to remain a problem.

EDIT: Corrected Starting to Staff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.