• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cummins QSK-19 Engine Idle sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

darylyates17

Does anybody know what the intermittent ticking sound is when the engines on the class 180,185 and 220/1/2 are on idle as i am keen to find out what it is i have created this forum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Does anybody know what the intermittent ticking sound is when the engines on the class 180,185 and 220/1/2 are on idle as i am keen to find out what it is i have created this forum.

Do you have any video or audio of the sound - maybe a YouTube video where you tell us the time in minutes and seconds where the sound could be heard ?

It could be the engine - fuel pump, oil pump, tappet noise or other valve gear noise, or it could just as easily be compressor relief valve operating or something else.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
As it's an intermittent noise, and is common to all the classes, I would suggest the compressor relief valve, however as has already been stated, it could be caused by top end noise on the engine. If it was something to worry about then there would've been a spike in failures. This doesn't seem to have happened.

XDM

I believe that normally the compressor turns off when the correct pressure is reached. If the noise is the compressor relief valve 'letting off steam' is it the result of failure of the switch off mechanism?

darylyates17

On the Voygers its sounds faster although the engines do idle a bit higher which makes me think its somthing to do with the engine
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do you have any video or audio of the sound - maybe a YouTube video where you tell us the time in minutes and seconds where the sound could be heard ?

It could be the engine - fuel pump, oil pump, tappet noise or other valve gear noise, or it could just as easily be compressor relief valve operating or something else.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgVk-DS5oKg listen from 3:14 to 4:21 you can here the sound intermittently on a class 185

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Never noticed strange or intermittent noises on 185's, although I do notice engines or transmission not sounding right.....

JN114

Established Member
On the Voygers its sounds faster although the engines do idle a bit higher which makes me think its somthing to do with the engine
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgVk-DS5oKg listen from 3:14 to 4:21 you can here the sound intermittently on a class 185

Sounds like simple mechanical rattle - engine rocking slightly on a not quite fully tightened mount or similar.

TH172341

Could have only just been started and running a little cold.

That's true - it was around midday but it could've switched on with the Ecomode having been active. Never heard one though like it on any of my numerous 185 trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.