• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cunning plan required to get to Pinhal Novo, Lisbon from London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
Also does anyone know if the Madrid Atocha train needs a seat reservation to go with my interrail pass?
Depends which.
If it's a MD, then yes, if the earlier train at 0804 then it's classed as Regional Express so probably not but I would check anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Looking at doing route from Madrid to Badajoz in early August (Saturday 6th) and then onwards into Portugal but getting information seems to be akin to getting blood from a stone. Latest information indicates a train around 08.30 from Madrid and is shown as IC190. Is this loco hauled or a unit? Can anyone even confirm it runs? Renfe information pretty appalling to say the least. Thanks in advance.

stuu

Established Member
Looking at doing route from Madrid to Badajoz in early August (Saturday 6th) and then onwards into Portugal but getting information seems to be akin to getting blood from a stone. Latest information indicates a train around 08.30 from Madrid and is shown as IC190. Is this loco hauled or a unit? Can anyone even confirm it runs? Renfe information pretty appalling to say the least. Thanks in advance.
The first bit of the high speed line opens on 19 July. The service is going to be one Alvia (bi-mode high speed unit), and one intercity (loco + coaches). The intercity is the one leaving at 830

Richard Scott

Established Member
The first bit of the high speed line opens on 19 July. The service is going to be one Alvia (bi-mode high speed unit), and one intercity (loco + coaches). The intercity is the one leaving at 830
Thanks for that, explains lack of info. Loco and coaches will be electric part way for 334 forward or 334 throughout?

stuu

Established Member
The high speed line will reduce the journey time to Badajoz by ~45 minutes. No idea what happens across the border, but Seat 61 says the onward train isn't until the evening so unless that is retimed it just gives you more time in Badajoz.

Richard Scott

Established Member
The high speed line will reduce the journey time to Badajoz by ~45 minutes. No idea what happens across the border, but Seat 61 says the onward train isn't until the evening so unless that is retimed it just gives you more time in Badajoz.
The train across the border is still departing at the same time.

HS2isgood

It's expected that the Madrid-Sevilla train, changing to the Puertollano-Badajoz will give a better connection to Portugal, as they do now. However, that makes the Madrid-Lisbon journey three changes.

Richard Scott

Established Member
As an aside there will be two 334 hauled departures from Chamartin Station between 08.00 and 08.30 soon, one to Almeria and one to Badajoz.
Does anyone know if security checks are carried out before boarding? Assume not at Atocha as they use suburban platforms? Does thinking might try and scoop locos by doing a local leap (have done it from Atocha to Chamartin) during the morning when I'm there in August if I can.

HS2isgood

As an aside there will be two 334 hauled departures from Chamartin Station between 08.00 and 08.30 soon, one to Almeria and one to Badajoz.
Does anyone know if security checks are carried out before boarding? Assume not at Atocha as they use suburban platforms? Does thinking might try and scoop locos by doing a local leap (have done it from Atocha to Chamartin) during the morning when I'm there in August if I can.
There's no control but don't try it, you may be fined. It's not allowed to do Chamartín to Atocha in LD trains.

Richard Scott

Established Member
There's no control but don't try it, you may be fined. It's not allowed to do Chamartín to Atocha in LD trains.
Ok, thanks. Not even with an Interrail ticket? Sounds like solution will be to hold relevant reservations for train (to whatever first valid station is) and get off early if needs be?

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ok, thanks. Not even with an Interrail ticket? Sounds like solution will be to hold relevant reservations for train (to whatever first valid station is) and get off early if needs be?
Yes, but it'll cost you an arm and a leg!

Richard Scott

Established Member
Yes, but it'll cost you an arm and a leg!
Ok, will have to see when I get there! Think a res last year was about 7 Euros so may take Almeria train out to suitable point for return one back, any suggestions of a good mid point location? Somewhere where I could see some freight would be good? Sorry going off topic here but my knowledge of Spanish Railways is very limited as you can tell!

Dren Ahmeti

I'd be interested in your experience of this trip, whichever options you use.

I'd been planning to do a London-Lisbon journey (sometime post-pandemic) in 24 hours - morning Eurostar to Paris, TGV to Hendaye/Irun, sleeper to Lisbon. Efficient, civilised, and just 2 changes.

However, with the sleeper to Lisbon not returning, it sounds like what might have been possible in 24 hours can now barely be done easily and reliably by rail in 48! If it's that much faff, then I might never make my planned Lisbon trip at all.
I personally did London-Lisbon in just over 24 hours in August 2019.
07:01 ES from St Pancras (avoiding a very early start from Reading)
12:47 TGV to Hendaye (which I nearly missed when I had to wait ages in Burger King, then I promptly dropped my drink on the platform…)
18:35 Sleeper to Lisboa-Sta. Apolonia arriving 07:30.

Absolute bliss - easy connections etc, but I’d definitely do the ferry route nowadays with no sleeper connection - the Badajoz train is a nightmare.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I personally did London-Lisbon in just over 24 hours in August 2019.
07:01 ES from St Pancras (avoiding a very early start from Reading)
12:47 TGV to Hendaye (which I nearly missed when I had to wait ages in Burger King, then I promptly dropped my drink on the platform…)
18:35 Sleeper to Lisboa-Sta. Apolonia arriving 07:30.

Absolute bliss - easy connections etc, but I’d definitely do the ferry route nowadays with no sleeper connection - the Badajoz train is a nightmare.

Yes - that was exactly my plan for this year ... except that the sleeper is no more. It's hard to believe that European transport options are getting worse and less civilised. A day train plus a sleeper (when there is one), with only a couple of changes of train after leaving London, should open up half of Europe for easy access within 24 hours or little more.

So which ferry route would give you good timings for London-Lisbon now? Is there a way that has quick and easy connections?? (Years ago there was the direct weekly Southampton-Lisbon ferry; rather more than 24 hours, but I found it useful.)

Veteran Member
Yes - that was exactly my plan for this year ... except that the sleeper is no more. It's hard to believe that European transport options are getting worse and less civilised. A day train plus a sleeper (when there is one), with only a couple of changes of train after leaving London, should open up half of Europe for easy access within 24 hours or little more.

So which ferry route would give you good timings for London-Lisbon now? Is there a way that has quick and easy connections?? (Years ago there was the direct weekly Southampton-Lisbon ferry; rather more than 24 hours, but I found it useful.)
The only realistic option is Brittany to Santander - at least it docks near the station.
But you then have to tackle a cross-country journey to Vigo - which you might be able to do without an overnight stop - before heading into Porto.

LocoCycle

The only realistic option is Brittany to Santander - at least it docks near the station.
But you then have to tackle a cross-country journey to Vigo - which you might be able to do without an overnight stop - before heading into Porto.
Last time I looked, Brittany weren't accepting foot passengers, only people with cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.