• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Current events in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spamcan81

Aside from @najaB's point that this was 9 years ago, the article you cite indicates that just two allied soldiers were killed, vs. 14 Taliban fighters. Granted some very expensive aircraft were damaged or destroyed too, but that doesn't seem to me like the kind of large-scale loss of life that should reasonably have been making us think that we need to withdraw.

Agreed and close air support continued in spite of those losses. One suspects security at Camp Bastion was reviewed after the attack.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gostav

Aside from @najaB's point that this was 9 years ago, the article you cite indicates that just two allied soldiers were killed, vs. 14 Taliban fighters. Granted some very expensive aircraft were damaged or destroyed too, but that doesn't seem to me like the kind of large-scale loss of life that should reasonably have been making us think that we need to withdraw.
However if we briefly recall the history will find the US government and medias began to mention "withdrawal" were in 2012-13. Meanwhile, the coalition forces began to slowly lost control of the countryside.

And in many cases, equipment is more valuable than the soldiers, especially in countries like the US and the UK that don't lack fresh immigrants.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
However if we briefly recall the history will find the US government and medias began to mention "withdrawal" were in 2012-13.
That talk started a lot earlier than 2012. For example Obama's 'surge' in 2009 was intended to break the quagmire.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Once the US withdrew air support for the Afghan forces it was only going to end one way. The best western troops needed close air support from some of the most capable air forces in the world to hold back a fearless and determined enemy. Without that support the Afghan army was always facing an uphill struggle.

Perhaps we should have been training the Afghan airforce as well

najaB

Veteran Member
A point that's been made a few times, including by my manager who served over there, is that the majority of the army couldn't even read at a primary school level. So good luck training them to fly and, more importantly, to maintain the aircraft.

najaB

Veteran Member
Baby steps, I guess...
Afghan universities will be segregated by gender, and a new Islamic dress code will be introduced, the Taliban said on Sunday.
Higher Education Minister Abdul Baqi Haqqani indicated women would be allowed to study, but not alongside men.
He also announced a review of subjects taught.
Women and girls were banned from schools and universities under Taliban rule between 1996 and 2001.
The announcement of the higher education policy comes a day after the Taliban raised their flag over the presidential palace, signalling the beginning of their administration.

Spamcan81

The USA did train a number of Afghan pilots to fly the AC-208 and A-29 light attack aircraft as well as supplying 10 and 19 respectively of each type. Capable aircraft but not in the same league as the heavy metal that the western alliance forces brought to the party. The Afghans were left woefully short of attack helicopters though. They never got the AH-64 Apache and had just eight Mi-24 Hind helicopters. Capable pieces of kit but that's a very small force even if all eight were serviceable at the same time.

A point that's been made a few times, including by my manager who served over there, is that the majority of the army couldn't even read at a primary school level. So good luck training them to fly and, more importantly, to maintain the aircraft.

The US did train a number of Afghan pilots.

najaB

Veteran Member
The US did train a number of Afghan pilots.
But, as you pointed out yourself, nowhere near the number who would have been needed. And it wouldn't have mattered how many pilots they had if the aircraft weren't serviceable.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I guess if the pilots had been trained up then we might have ended up in the situation we are now, only with the Taliban having air support and the ability to strike outside the country.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I guess if the pilots had been trained up then we might have ended up in the situation we are now, only with the Taliban having air support and the ability to strike outside the country.
Looking at the countries that surround Afghanistan that your mention of air force abilities to strike, I cannot see China or Russia being in any danger, but India is a possible non-Muslim target as I am sure that the Pakistani intelligence forces would ensure free and safe passage to a Taliban air force attack force across the territory of Pakistan.. India have nuclear weapons as a deterrent, but would they consider the use of them should they be attacked?

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
So Raab is out as foreign secretary - IMO deservedly after the appalling handling of the Afghan situation - and replaced by Liz Truss.

Don't know much about Liz Truss or what qualifications/experience she does/doesn't have, but it does seem rather appropriate that - if the Taliban want to deal with the UK and secure any co-operation from the UK, they are going to have to deal with a female in charge of the UK's foreign policy ;)

Gostav

So Raab is out as foreign secretary - IMO deservedly after the appalling handling of the Afghan situation - and replaced by Liz Truss.

Don't know much about Liz Truss or what qualifications/experience she does/doesn't have, but it does seem rather appropriate that - if the Taliban want to deal with the UK and secure any co-operation from the UK, they are going to have to deal with a female in charge of the UK's foreign policy ;)
May just like the foreign policy to Saudi Arabia, criticize them about human rights from time to time but in general do nothing.

Typhoon

Established Member

She has already had dealings with the Taliban - the Turnip Taliban, the name given to the traditionalists in her Norfolk constituency who objected to her having an affair with a married man, Tory MP Mark Field, and failing to make it known, during the selection process for prospective MP.

Regards dealing with the Real Taliban, I don't suppose they care much, I can't imagine that we feature highly among their preferred partners.

The Ham

Established Member
She has already had dealings with the Taliban - the Turnip Taliban, the name given to the traditionalists in her Norfolk constituency who objected to her having an affair with a married man, Tory MP Mark Field, and failing to make it known, during the selection process for prospective MP.

Regards dealing with the Real Taliban, I don't suppose they care much, I can't imagine that we feature highly among their preferred partners.

Other than we provide significant amounts of aid funding (both government and charity) and they are asking for aid.

Typhoon

Established Member
Other than we provide significant amounts of aid funding (both government and charity) and they are asking for aid.
They might find easier places to find aid - to the east (or in their immediate neighbourhood) and to the north. I suspect there are countries that are happy to see any influence by 'the West' removed from that part of Asia, and will demonstrate this overtly or covertly.

Status
Not open for further replies.