• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dale End Lane - OO gauge Terminus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
First part taken from the 'Do you have any model railway projects on the go?' thread.

Here is my current (and first) project that i have very slowly been doing over the last year and a half. Currently unnamed it is a modern image 4 platform terminus along with some carriage sidings and a small shed for light maintenance for the local units. Eventually I hope to have 3 main TOCs which are:
GWR - Long distance London services operated by 800's and the odd 2+6 HST and the sleeper service
XC - Extensions to the core service bring Cross Country service up to 3 times a day (220 or 221)
EMT - Local services provided by 15x's, 170's and 2+4/5 HST.
I have also got a tanker train to bring the fuel which is operated by a GBRF 66.

The images below show the station area along with the small shed as well as the lines coming into the station. I am currently working on the wall which will run alongside the staff footpath which goes to the carriage sidings before adding more scenery on both sides.
IMG_20200327_145350.jpg IMG_20200327_145359.jpg IMG_20200327_145426.jpg

Update 13/04/20:
Over the weekend I have spent a little bit of time doing some more of the ballast around the main point work of the station including up to the staff footpath next to the sheds and along the mainlines by the carriage sidings entrance including around the little 'office'. I have also attached a map of the layout with the carriage sideings on the right and the station and shed on the left.
IMG_20200412_182047.jpgLayout map.PNG

Some other photos of some trains running
IMG_20200412_113058.jpgIMG_20200412_163957.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for starting a thread on this @43055. We’ve not got a massive modelling section on here but it’s building up bit by bit and I really appreciate you taking the effort to join in (looks great too).

Established Member
Thanks for starting a thread on this @43055. We’ve not got a massive modelling section on here but it’s building up bit by bit and I really appreciate you taking the effort to join in (looks great too).
Thank you very much for taking your time to reply. It helps me spur on to show you the layout more. Hopefully it may be the start of a larger modelling section on here.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
First part taken from the 'Do you have any model railway projects on the go?' thread.

Here is my current (and first) project that i have very slowly been doing over the last year and a half. Currently unnamed it is a modern image 4 platform terminus along with some carriage sidings and a small shed for light maintenance for the local units. Eventually I hope to have 3 main TOCs which are:
GWR - Long distance London services operated by 800's and the odd 2+6 HST and the sleeper service
XC - Extensions to the core service bring Cross Country service up to 3 times a day (220 or 221)
EMT - Local services provided by 15x's, 170's and 2+4/5 HST.
I have also got a tanker train to bring the fuel which is operated by a GBRF 66.

The images below show the station area along with the small shed as well as the lines coming into the station. I am currently working on the wall which will run alongside the staff footpath which goes to the carriage sidings before adding more scenery on both sides.
IMG_20200327_145350.jpg IMG_20200327_145359.jpg IMG_20200327_145426.jpg

Update 13/04/20:
Over the weekend I have spent a little bit of time doing some more of the ballast around the main point work of the station including up to the staff footpath next to the sheds and along the mainlines by the carriage sidings entrance including around the little 'office'. I have also attached a map of the layout with the carriage sideings on the right and the station and shed on the left.
View attachment 76551View attachment 76550

Some other photos of some trains running
View attachment 76552View attachment 76553

Looking forward to seeing your developments, you've got a lot going on which gives a wonderful air of busyness - plenty to see.

Just echoing Cowley's words but hopefully with each additional person posting modelling threads it will encourage more to do so and develop this area of the forum.

The more threads the better, as well as it being interesting to see what other people have done, it's also helpful at times to see how they've achieved certain aspects as it's often quite useful at assisting others with their own projects in various ways.

Established Member
Looking forward to seeing your developments, you've got a lot going on which gives a wonderful air of busyness - plenty to see.

Just echoing Cowley's words but hopefully with each additional person posting modelling threads it will encourage more to do so and develop this area of the forum.

The more threads the better, as well as it being interesting to see what other people have done, it's also helpful at times to see how they've achieved certain aspects as it's often quite useful at assisting others with their own projects in various ways.
[/QUOTE
Thank you very much. If people want to see how I complete different parts of the layout I can try and show you through stuff. My plan for the weekend is to finish the wall at the front and some more ballast.

Peter C

Established Member
That looks like quite a nice layout you've got there! I love the selection of stock you've got as well. I thought about having a terminus station on my layout but I couldn't fit it in so it's nice to see your work.

I assume as a layout it's fun to operate? I expect that a lot of trains come in and then go into the carriage sidings, ready for return workings?

The attention to detail with the walkways within the shed area in the fourth photo of the first post is really cool and a detail I now want to add to my layout! :D

-Peter

Established Member
That looks like quite a nice layout you've got there! I love the selection of stock you've got as well. I thought about having a terminus station on my layout but I couldn't fit it in so it's nice to see your work.

I assume as a layout it's fun to operate? I expect that a lot of trains come in and then go into the carriage sidings, ready for return workings?

The attention to detail with the walkways within the shed area in the fourth photo of the first post is really cool and a detail I now want to add to my layout! :D

-Peter
Thank you. I think if I had a loop layout it would take up a lot more space that I don't really have in my room and I do like the having some longer trains like the HST's and occasionally double 800's (4+4)

It certainly fun to operate and I do sort of base it off the timetable for Penance as this gives a variety of services through the day. The busiest period is definitely the start up and wind down in which it can be a juggle as for example a HST can only use platforms 1 or 2 and then can only use 2 of the 6 carriage sidings. I can also have some fun with the units with attaching and detaching like the branch shuttle to 'St Ives' could use the additional 153's in the Summer for peak loadings. Most of the time the carriage sidings don't get used in the day except for the sleeper or the fuel train but when the Cross Country Mk3's arrive I am thinking of having the set stabled in the week like at Laira for maintenance so some shunting of the set could be done to get to certain vehicles. I have attached the timetable that I have made for the layout to give you an idea on what arrives and departs the station.

The walkways if simply just tarmac card glued on to the baseboard and they do provide some very nice results. I am doing a similar thing around the carriage sidings where one of the walkways follows round the wall so staff could book on in the station area and then walk round to collect a train to bring into the station. I got this idea from the walkway at the back of Derby station which leads to Etches Park which staff uses.

Attachments

• Penzance simplifier Dec19-May20.xlsx
    20.4 KB · Views: 32

Peter C

Established Member
Thank you. I think if I had a loop layout it would take up a lot more space that I don't really have in my room and I do like the having some longer trains like the HST's and occasionally double 800's (4+4)

It certainly fun to operate and I do sort of base it off the timetable for Penance as this gives a variety of services through the day. The busiest period is definitely the start up and wind down in which it can be a juggle as for example a HST can only use platforms 1 or 2 and then can only use 2 of the 6 carriage sidings. I can also have some fun with the units with attaching and detaching like the branch shuttle to 'St Ives' could use the additional 153's in the Summer for peak loadings. Most of the time the carriage sidings don't get used in the day except for the sleeper or the fuel train but when the Cross Country Mk3's arrive I am thinking of having the set stabled in the week like at Laira for maintenance so some shunting of the set could be done to get to certain vehicles. I have attached the timetable that I have made for the layout to give you an idea on what arrives and departs the station.

The walkways if simply just tarmac card glued on to the baseboard and they do provide some very nice results. I am doing a similar thing around the carriage sidings where one of the walkways follows round the wall so staff could book on in the station area and then walk round to collect a train to bring into the station. I got this idea from the walkway at the back of Derby station which leads to Etches Park which staff uses.
Fair - space is one of the biggest things in making a model railway! :)
That's good to hear about the operations side of the layout - the idea of using a real timetable to base my layout's operations off of has always appealed to me. When you're running trains, do you use the attached timetable in real-time or do you use some sort of double or triple-speed clock? There are some pretty big gaps between trains there which made me wonder how you use it in normal running sessions.
That sounds like a lot of fun making sure services and stock go in the right platforms and sidings - I have a similar situation on my layout with the shorter terminus platforms in my station. The selection of rolling stock you have also helps (I assume) with running trains - is it easy for you to make realistic services and set prototypical allocations?
Thanks for the bit about the walkways - I'll have a look into doing something similar for my layout. I like the theory behind the carriage sidings walkways - prototypical and practical planning are always nice :D

-Peter

Established Member
Fair - space is one of the biggest things in making a model railway! :)
That's good to hear about the operations side of the layout - the idea of using a real timetable to base my layout's operations off of has always appealed to me. When you're running trains, do you use the attached timetable in real-time or do you use some sort of double or triple-speed clock? There are some pretty big gaps between trains there which made me wonder how you use it in normal running sessions.
That sounds like a lot of fun making sure services and stock go in the right platforms and sidings - I have a similar situation on my layout with the shorter terminus platforms in my station. The selection of rolling stock you have also helps (I assume) with running trains - is it easy for you to make realistic services and set prototypical allocations?
Thanks for the bit about the walkways - I'll have a look into doing something similar for my layout. I like the theory behind the carriage sidings walkways - prototypical and practical planning are always nice :D

-Peter
I can spend all day looking at real timetables and working out diagrams ect. Most of the time I run in real time ish but I do try and run the full day at the weekends ie after Breakfast run constantly until real time and then just before the end of the day put everything to bed so to speak. I have never tried a full fast forward day but I would say it would take a good 2-3 hours to complete as the run in in the evening can take up to 30 mins to complete.

The rolling stock has sort of been tailored around the timetable in which around 3 years ago I had a complete random selection of trains in which over time I have been selling for new sets like the GWR sets. The easiest to work out was GWR in which I have 2 800's and 2 2+6 HST and the sleeper. I based the HST diagrams off what i think are the busiest services and what were running when a mixture of 800/HST were operating. The double 800's is made up just to give a bit of a mixture of formations on the layout. Cross Country is also easy to work out as the 4 and 5 car Voyagers can appear anywhere so can come on any service. The XC HST's are based of the diagrams. For the EMT (GWR local) the diagrams are very made up but I have tried to keep the HST to the Cardiff runs and the 153's to the short St Ives branch.

Here are some more pictures of the walkways on the station side of the layout around the shed area.
IMG_20200423_180111.jpgIMG_20200423_180132.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
I can spend all day looking at real timetables and working out diagrams ect. Most of the time I run in real time ish but I do try and run the full day at the weekends ie after Breakfast run constantly until real time and then just before the end of the day put everything to bed so to speak. I have never tried a full fast forward day but I would say it would take a good 2-3 hours to complete as the run in in the evening can take up to 30 mins to complete.

The rolling stock has sort of been tailored around the timetable in which around 3 years ago I had a complete random selection of trains in which over time I have been selling for new sets like the GWR sets. The easiest to work out was GWR in which I have 2 800's and 2 2+6 HST and the sleeper. I based the HST diagrams off what i think are the busiest services and what were running when a mixture of 800/HST were operating. The double 800's is made up just to give a bit of a mixture of formations on the layout. Cross Country is also easy to work out as the 4 and 5 car Voyagers can appear anywhere so can come on any service. The XC HST's are based of the diagrams. For the EMT (GWR local) the diagrams are very made up but I have tried to keep the HST to the Cardiff runs and the 153's to the short St Ives branch.

Here are some more pictures of the walkways on the station side of the layout around the shed area.
View attachment 76941View attachment 76942
Cool! :D Sounds like a lot of fun running trains all day - sorry to keep asking questions, but when you start running trains, say if you started running trains at 0910, would you go from 0910 in your timetable or from the start?
2-3 hours for a sped-up day sounds like jolly good fun as well. But because of the number of trains you might be running in a day I assume it could get a bit manic?! :D

The rolling stock selection sounds lovely - I love the idea of allocating the different units to realistic services and basing which units work certain services on the number of people which would use them.
Those walkways look really good as well. In the rebuild of the layout I've done, I've managed to fit in a couple of small depot sidings so I'll be using those kind of walkways when I get to adding the scenery.

Thanks,

-Peter

Established Member
Cool! :D Sounds like a lot of fun running trains all day - sorry to keep asking questions, but when you start running trains, say if you started running trains at 0910, would you go from 0910 in your timetable or from the start?
2-3 hours for a sped-up day sounds like jolly good fun as well. But because of the number of trains you might be running in a day I assume it could get a bit manic?! :D

The rolling stock selection sounds lovely - I love the idea of allocating the different units to realistic services and basing which units work certain services on the number of people which would use them.
Those walkways look really good as well. In the rebuild of the layout I've done, I've managed to fit in a couple of small depot sidings so I'll be using those kind of walkways when I get to adding the scenery.

Thanks,

-Peter
Dont worry about asking questions :D . If I start at 0910 i will start from the beginning of the timetable so I can get a good run out on a Saturday morning and the rolling stock does give a good variety and very busy for a bit.

Peter C

Established Member
Dont worry about asking questions :D . If I start at 0910 i will start from the beginning of the timetable so I can get a good run out on a Saturday morning and the rolling stock does give a good variety and very busy for a bit.
Oh cool - so you don't miss out on anything; sounds like a brilliant idea! :D

-Peter

Established Member
Yesterdays progress of some more ballasting showing how I complete it in sections so the glue does not dry before laying the ballast.
IMG_20200426_112255.jpg
IMG_20200426_112439.jpg
The completed product of yesterday. Complete with the 'ballast train'. The 68 is very good of removing any stray pieces that may be on the rails
IMG_20200426_184746.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
That's an interesting way of doing the ballast. I can see that working very well for ballast in the cess areas where there's plenty of space but for track I assume it can be a bit fiddly? Or are you just very careful in putting the glue between the sleepers and not on them, meaning ballast will be neat and tidy?

-Peter

Established Member
That's an interesting way of doing the ballast. I can see that working very well for ballast in the cess areas where there's plenty of space but for track I assume it can be a bit fiddly? Or are you just very careful in putting the glue between the sleepers and not on them, meaning ballast will be neat and tidy?

-Peter
It is not very fiddly. The glue is a mixture of washing up liquid, pva and water I think. I then use a syringe and then use the nozzle to spread it around. when putting the ballast down i just pick a small amount with my fingers and sprinkle it in the area I want. In area like the cess I will put a small bit of grass down to add some colour. When go I between the rails the ballast and glue can go on top of the sleepers but I brush a paintbrush over the top to try and remove anything on top of the rails and sleepers.
That's looking good!
Thank you!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Peter C

Established Member
It is not very fiddly. The glue is a mixture of washing up liquid, pva and water I think. I then use a syringe and then use the nozzle to spread it around. when putting the ballast down i just pick a small amount with my fingers and sprinkle it in the area I want. In area like the cess I will put a small bit of grass down to add some colour. When go I between the rails the ballast and glue can go on top of the sleepers but I brush a paintbrush over the top to try and remove anything on top of the rails and sleepers.
Cool. I don't think I've ever seen someone do ballasting that way round - I've only ever seen people do ballast and then glue. I think I'll try that technique you've used when I ballast my layout. :D

Thanks,

-Peter

Established Member
Cool. I don't think I've ever seen someone do ballasting that way round - I've only ever seen people do ballast and then glue. I think I'll try that technique you've used when I ballast my layout. :D

Thanks,

-Peter
I tried the then glue way around the shed area but the glue could still be seen when it dried for some reason. It is also a preferenceas as well.

Peter C

Established Member
I tried the then glue way around the shed area but the glue could still be seen when it dried for some reason. It is also a preferenceas as well.
Interesting. It might have been the type of glue you used - I used WHSmith PVA glue for some static grass work ages ago and it dried clear, but dark. Everyone has their own way of doing things and that's the best bit about the hobby - you can do whatever you want and you get to play trains! :D

-Peter

Established Member
Wow a month has almost past!

So what have I done? I have ballasted some more at the back of platform 1 where there is a drop behind the baseboard. I have put this off until now because of the drop but I found some foam which i could stick in the gap while I was doing the ballasting to close the gap. While a small areas remain overall I think its a good job.
IMG_20200522_174040.jpg
With the arrival of 6 of the 7 Cross Country Mk3's (Sliding Doors) I thought I would address the possible issue of having no room to stable 3 HST's in the carriage sidings. I did this by moving one of the points on one of the sidings from the main line connection to the other connection which now allows for 2 2+6 and 1 2+7 HST's to be stabled and up to 3 other units on the other sidings.
IMG_20200516_163357.jpg
IMG_20200516_185237.jpg

I have also done a summer timetable which has more GWR London services at the weekend to cater for the Holiday traffic as well as the additional Cross Country HST on Saturdays. This timetable also sees some attachments in the station to add some more variety to the movements.

Attachments

• Penzance simplifier May-Sep 20.xlsx
    20.7 KB · Views: 13

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wow a month has almost past!

So what have I done? I have ballasted some more at the back of platform 1 where there is a drop behind the baseboard. I have put this off until now because of the drop but I found some foam which i could stick in the gap while I was doing the ballasting to close the gap. While a small areas remain overall I think its a good job.
View attachment 78309
With the arrival of 6 of the 7 Cross Country Mk3's (Sliding Doors) I thought I would address the possible issue of having no room to stable 3 HST's in the carriage sidings. I did this by moving one of the points on one of the sidings from the main line connection to the other connection which now allows for 2 2+6 and 1 2+7 HST's to be stabled and up to 3 other units on the other sidings.
View attachment 78310
View attachment 78307

I have also done a summer timetable which has more GWR London services at the weekend to cater for the Holiday traffic as well as the additional Cross Country HST on Saturdays. This timetable also sees some attachments in the station to add some more variety to the movements.
You’ve got a really interesting railway there. I love the timetable too. Are you planning on getting a 57 for the sleepers?

Established Member
You’ve got a really interesting railway there. I love the timetable too. Are you planning on getting a 57 for the sleepers?
Thank you and did someone say 57? Full stock list below.
IMG_20200523_115551.jpg

GWR:
43002 'Intercity125'
43185 'Intercity Swallow'
Coaches for sleeper (6 car) and 2 2+6 HST (TGS, TS, TS, TS, TGFB, TFD)

Cross Country:
6 of 7 Mk'3 for HST as TGS not arrived yet. Power cars will come soon but using Scot Rail ones in the mean time.

EMT:
153379 ex Central Trains EMT
158741 (Scotrail)
170301 (SWT)
Coaches: 1 set of TGS, TS, TS, TGFB and TF

Other locos:
08630 EWS
66731 GBRF
68008 DRS
68019 TPE

Waggons:
8x TTA tankers
3x VDA vans
1x MFA
2x YGB hoppers

Peter C

Established Member
That's a lovely stock list - plenty of engines and units :D - that's the kind of collection I like! My loco list is currently all over the shop!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you and did someone say 57? Full stock list below.
View attachment 78330

GWR:
43002 'Intercity125'
43185 'Intercity Swallow'
Coaches for sleeper (6 car) and 2 2+6 HST (TGS, TS, TS, TS, TGFB, TFD)

Cross Country:
6 of 7 Mk'3 for HST as TGS not arrived yet. Power cars will come soon but using Scot Rail ones in the mean time.

EMT:
153379 ex Central Trains EMT
158741 (Scotrail)
170301 (SWT)
Coaches: 1 set of TGS, TS, TS, TGFB and TF

Other locos:
08630 EWS
66731 GBRF
68008 DRS
68019 TPE

Waggons:
8x TTA tankers
3x VDA vans
1x MFA
2x YGB hoppers
That’s an impressive list. Most of it pretty apt for the area too.
It’s interesting to see someone modelling the currant (or very recent) scene. I guess when I started in the 1980s I was collecting stuff that was current at the time but I’ve never really moved on from that era...
Mind you the models have certainly moved on somewhat!

Established Member
That's a lovely stock list - plenty of engines and units :D - that's the kind of collection I like! My loco list is currently all over the shop!

-Peter
Thank you. It has change a lot over the last two years as I did have a completely random bunch of units and locos in which I have part exchanged for most of the stock I have now.
That’s an impressive list. Most of it pretty apt for the area too.
It’s interesting to see someone modelling the currant (or very recent) scene. I guess when I started in the 1980s I was collecting stuff that was current at the time but I’ve never really moved on from that era...
Mind you the models have certainly moved on somewhat!
Thank you. While i do like the western region I had to keep my local area of the East Midlands in. (And I love the stagecoach livery) :D .
I think it true that people stick around the era that they grow up with like myself for modern image and my dad has a BR blue-gray collection.
The models certainly have moved on like the new mk3s SDs are very nice and a big step up but other models are just as nice like the hornby 66 and the celebrity power cars that are on Lima models.

Peter C

Established Member
Thank you. It has change a lot over the last two years as I did have a completely random bunch of units and locos in which I have part exchanged for most of the stock I have now.
You're very welcome. I don't think I could get rid of my stock to get other engines so I'm going to have to add more stock on top of the current fleet :D
You're also right regarding people modelling where they grew up/the era they grew up in - I'm setting my layout in the Western Region in 2000 - present day because that's what I've spent most time around - that and the Southern Region in the same era (but I also quite like the 1980s WR and SR too!) :D

-Peter

Established Member
Out of interest, what is the size of the layout and what does your fiddle yard look like?
Overall the Layout is a L shape with all the boards are 70cm wide. Each side is around 11FT long although the station side is slightly longer.

The fiddle yard is almost non existent. I just have two lines that go behind the future backscene as seen here.
IMG_20200524_113311.jpg
You're very welcome. I don't think I could get rid of my stock to get other engines so I'm going to have to add more stock on top of the current fleet :D
You're also right regarding people modelling where they grew up/the era they grew up in - I'm setting my layout in the Western Region in 2000 - present day because that's what I've spent most time around - that and the Southern Region in the same era (but I also quite like the 1980s WR and SR too!) :D

-Peter
Don't worry we all just keep adding to our fleets :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.