• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Currys/PC World onboard EMT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMGitsDAVE

From http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/ne...rld-launch-gadget-gift-trolley-on-trains.html

Digital Spy said:
"The Currys and PC World gift trolley offers total convenience at a particularly stressful time of the year for shopping.

"In store, online, on mobile and now on board a train, we're making this Christmas even easier for our customers."

Customer service and commercial director for East Midlands Trains Neil Micklethwaite added: "It's great to be teaming up with Currys and PC World to offer something extra to our passengers this festive season, especially as we expect thousands of passengers in the week leading up to Christmas.

"Passengers can already buy their presents online using our on-board WiFi, but the gifting trolley will enable them to get all their last-minute gifts instantly.

"We're constantly on the lookout for ideas for how our services and facilities can be improved, and we think this is a great initiative that will hopefully prove popular with our passengers."

Personally, I think it's quite a clever tactic from Curry's, particularly when times are hard...
What do you think?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jatos

I expect it to get some mixed responses.

To be honest, I think this sort of thing would work better when the gadgets are sold using an onboard shop instead of a trolley!

Michael.Y

Established Member
And I worry about people nicking stuff off my trolley that costs a quid! Imagine if £50 worth of accessories were half inched by light-fingered vestibule surfers!

WestCoast

Established Member
That's certainly innovative.

The only comparable sales channel I can think of is where higher value duty free goods are sold onboard aircraft in-flight.

Be3G

Established Member
I have mixed feelings about this… it's an interesting idea, but I hate PC World/Currys as the service whenever I try to use one of their stores is abysmal. I'd therefore be very reluctant to make any purchases from the trolley in case they went wrong and I had to face taking it back to a shop. (With the one exception being Apple products, as Apple are happy to sort problems out at their own stores with much more helpful staff.)

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I couldn't agree more with Be3G. Every time I've been to PC World/Currys, their service has been abysmal, their staff always actively lie to me about their products and warranties, their managers only only care about commission on selling extended warranties. Their customer services are also very inept. It sounds like a match made in heaven!

Why do EMT need to partner with Curry's/PCW rather than just selling the goods under their own name?

tec

I couldn't agree more with Be3G. Every time I've been to PC World/Currys, their service has been abysmal, their staff always actively lie to me about their products and warranties, their managers only only care about commission on selling extended warranties. Their customer services are also very inept.

Have you ever been to Currys PCWorld in the last 2 years. or just copying what you have read on the internet?

I have always found Currys/PCWorld to be a very good shopping experience.

My recent experience was my old Asus tablet PC which had only 2 hours of warranty left. They tested the fault was genuine and then made sure it was rushed through on their system before the warranty expired.
All very friendly and helpful as usual.

marks87

Established Member
How very....Ryanair.

Not saying it's a bad thing, but it's the sort of thing budget airlines have been doing for years.

Established Member
Sounds like an interesting idea, but refreshments bought on-train tend to be much more expensive than those bought from a shop in the street. Imagine the price difference with electrical equipment...

Yew

Established Member
If the markups are minimal. It could be quite good. Could also pave the way for other companies to sell on train (either goods or catering). I wonder how it will turn out?

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Perhaps we'll end up with a 'train' of trolleys making its way through, selling various wares! ;)

All Line Rover

Established Member
My recent experience was my old Asus tablet PC which had only 2 hours of warranty left. They tested the fault was genuine and then made sure it was rushed through on their system before the warranty expired.
All very friendly and helpful as usual.

Well, I think that explains it all. If it was a genuine manufacturing fault, the fact that only 2 hours of Dixons Retail's 1-year 'warranty' was left didn't affect your statutory rights. Dixons are quick to deny this fact, even their Head Office.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Besides Dixons Retail's less than stellar customer service, if EMT get commission on all products sold this way I think it's a good idea.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
And I worry about people nicking stuff off my trolley that costs a quid! Imagine if £50 worth of accessories were half inched by light-fingered vestibule surfers!

I doubt you would be able to pinch anything off this trolley, by the looks of it it needs a key probably to open it up to get the goods.

currys-pc-trolly-2.jpg

Michael.Y

Established Member
That is a Sovereign S-Lite trolley. The front drawers use a common key, while the back door is t-key accessible. Not sure about the clear, opaque boxes on the top there.

wintonian

Established Member
Perhaps we'll end up with a 'train' of trolleys making its way through, selling various wares! ;)

Good grief another trolley to counteract whilst trying to walk down the train in order to find a working toilet or to alight - I want to travel from A - B not use an assault course :roll:. How is it supposed to pass the drinks trolley or would they have to reinstate buffets to prevent obstructing the gift trolley? Perhaps we will have gift shops like on-board ferries, with less seats but more revenue?

Whatever next, order on-line and collect at your local station, Amazon Locker style? If so perhaps we could extend such a scheme to a parcel delivery service where by you could drop you package off at Bournemouth station and the recipient could then collect it at, say Stafford? But I doubt anyone would ever try such a ridiculous idea, I mean what would you call it 'Red Star' perhaps? Somehow I expect that has too many communist overtones? ;)

Unfortunately I have visited numerous times over the past few years.

I used to pop in to have a look at what ever it was I wanted to buy then buy it on-line cheaper, but I won't even cros the threshold now for fear of being pounced on like some prospective shop lifter - why else would they jump on you so quickly after entering the shop?

Thank goodness our local Dixons has finally closed down - not that there was ever anyone in it.

tsr

Established Member
Is this why there are reports of EMT using a "static trolley" buffet? Is there a "catering trolley electrical goods replacement trolley service" now?

crewmeal

Well if airlines can sell 'duty free' perfumes watches and other gadgets why can't Currys sell on trains. However as mentioned I would be worried in this lawless society about being mugged and charged for missing goods!

Aldaniti

Sod the trolleys, I was looking at the Santa on the left!

All I can say is that I mourn the days when rail travel could often be a peaceful and relaxing way of getting from A to B. And even if I wanted something that was being sold by the Currys/PC World group, I'd wait and go to John Lewis thanks very much.:lol:

Goatboy

Established Member
I'm really not sure I understand the point. It's not the sort of thing you'd ever plan to use - because stock levels would be simply too unreliable (I laugh at the idea it will sell iPad Mini, not even Apple stores have free stock of that). Therefore its relying on impulse purchase. Just how many train passengers will impulse purchase a £300 electronic device from a trolley which they could quite easily order in-store or online anyway?

wintonian

Established Member
I'm really not sure I understand the point. It's not the sort of thing you'd ever plan to use - because stock levels would be simply too unreliable (I laugh at the idea it will sell iPad Mini, not even Apple stores have free stock of that). Therefore its relying on impulse purchase. Just how many train passengers will impulse purchase a £300 electronic device from a trolley which they could quite easily order in-store or online anyway?

Accessories?

Ipad covers, Kindle covers, headphones, phone chargers, screen wipes, any carp made by/ for Apple etc. basically all the stuff you have at home but wish you had brought out with you and thus you punish yourself by paying a fine penalty to PC World et al.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Exactly the same principle as having phone shops in motorway service stations. Last year I purchased a very nice pair of earphones from Membury Eastbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.