• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Custom/Fantasy Underground Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHurcum

So I have been doing a bit of tinkering to the old LU map to imagine what it would be like with several of the planned extensions built, some of the old lines remaining open and generally sorting out some of the problems I think LU currently has. Please tell me what you think, or if you have any questions, and any suggestions of stuff I can include when I update the map :)

Custom_Rail_Map.jpg

For a more detailed look click on this link: http://postimg.org/image/6gm9o4jo7/full/

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I like the Hammersmith line getting back on the map.
Can't see Waterloo and City line.
One project I heard of was an old 'Ring Rail' idea for larger circle lines.
The map has great detail, but the network is confusing. Maybe fade the current lines so the other ones are more visible.

Domh245

Established Member
That is almost a dictionary definition of Crayonista!

Just looking at the Northern line, why have you done what you have? You are keeping the bottleneck at Camden Town, trying to feed 2 branches from 1. Similar with the original parts as well, and why Euston as a terminus?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Quite how you're going to link South Bermondsey and Cannon Street is beyond me. And why terminate the Northen City Branch at Euston? Surely you'd need at least four platforms to maintain service levels?

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I'm looking forward to taking a train through Cranleigh Gardens up to Ally Pally sometime soon. And Watford looks bright.
But I was expecting to see Crossrail and the inclusion of Gatwick Airport and Dartford.
And what's happened at London Bridge?

I guess I prefered the simplified depiction of the maze through New Cross and Lewisham, and the straight line on the Central between Acton and Ealing, than the complexity of your more accurate attempt. But that's just a question of style.

Interesting work!

TheNewNo2

Just looking at the Northern line, why have you done what you have? You are keeping the bottleneck at Camden Town, trying to feed 2 branches from 1. Similar with the original parts as well, and why Euston as a terminus?

Furthermore your Overground at Watford makes no sense. Even assuming they increase the frequency, you're adding an extra branch to trains from Euston, thus reducing overall capacity to Watford Junction. Having trains reverse at Watford and then travel onto your new branch would make more sense.

And yes, split the Northern line if you want, but your way would never ever work.

JHurcum

Okay so addressing what has been said -
The Waterloo & City line has been given over to Southern Services
And as for the Northern Line. I felt with the expansions that it has received (Taking the planned Bakerloo Line extension to Hayes, the extension to Clapham Junction and the extension north to Bushey Heath) services would be either too congested or to difficult for commuters so I split the Northern Line into its too historical lines - City & Southern and City & Northern. With the City & Northern line terminating at Euston. I understand that there would need to be much alteration and Euston to get this to work - though if you feel I should extend the line - where to?

As for Cross Rail - I'm working on putting it in, but I'm not a huge Cross Rail fan, so that's why its not in yet. Ill look into the Hammersmith line. London Bridge is just an error from when I extended the DLR, as for the bottle neck at Camden - any ideas on improving it?

Domh245

Established Member
Er, right. Are you running the W&C as it is now but with southern branding and drivers, or are you going to rebore the tunnel, connect it to the rest of the southern network (somehow) and then run 455s through it. With the Northern line, you need to understand that Junctions and branches cause capacity bottlenecks. That is why the victoria line with no real diverging routes can run higher frequencies than the Northern line. If you were going to split it, you ideal want 2 end to end routes, so in your case, Morden to High Barnet, and Clapham Junction to Bushey Heath. The Hayes extension would make more sense being put on the Bakerloo line as well given the layout of Elephant and Castle

TheNewNo2

Okay so addressing what has been said -
The Waterloo & City line has been given over to Southern Services
And as for the Northern Line. I felt with the expansions that it has received (Taking the planned Bakerloo Line extension to Hayes, the extension to Clapham Junction and the extension north to Bushey Heath) services would be either too congested or to difficult for commuters so I split the Northern Line into its too historical lines - City & Southern and City & Northern. With the City & Northern line terminating at Euston. I understand that there would need to be much alteration and Euston to get this to work - though if you feel I should extend the line - where to?

Even if you didn't extend anything, your plan would mean there was a significantly reduced service compared to today. Termini eat capacity, and the Northern Line is easy to split - Battersea to Edgware and Morden to High Barnet. That's what LU plan to do at some point in the future anyway, and is more or less what happens at peak hours already.

Status
Not open for further replies.