• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Customer Service Assistant - NIGHT TUBE 031462

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Applepie356

It’s kind of sad knowing that to get a chance to drive on tube you have to apply for a customer service role (or apprenticeship)

If I could afford to take the pay cut I’d definitely go for it so I’d get a shot at being a tube driver.

Ladder23

Established Member
Big shame, the money isn’t worth even thinking about, I would love to work for the underground, I’d actually take a cut for the internal opportunities etc too but it’s just far far far from it.

GoTTi

According to the application for Customer Service - Night Tube, on the 27th September TFL will be advertising for Full Time Customer Service Assistants. It states you can NOT apply for both, so keep your eyes peeled

RJ

Established Member
It’s kind of sad knowing that to get a chance to drive on tube you have to apply for a customer service role (or apprenticeship)

That is not true. There are hundreds, if not thousands of different roles across TfL and London Underground and anyone on the payroll is eligible to apply for a Train Operator role - and you'll get a chance if you can demonstrate the desired competencies during the application stage. Customer service is most definitely not the only way to get in! The company even ran an external campaign in recent years!

bionic

If I could afford to take the pay cut I’d definitely go for it so I’d get a shot at being a tube driver.

At the end of the day, if you aren't prepared to jump through the hoops then perhaps LU train operator is not the job for you. Night Tube, it has to be said, does look like a thoroughly unpleasant working experience. Separate Night Tube roles have stemmed from the unions' resistance to allow changes to framework agreements and have this night work incorporated into normal full time rosters - and quite rightly so in my opinion.

The problem for those wishing to get on LU full time now is that to do so you may have no other option but to suck up these brutally antisocial part-time roles and the reduced salary they come with. If you aren't prepared to do it there are plenty of others who are - and LU know that. It's funny really because a few years ago hardly anybody wanted to work on the tube and they were crying out for staff. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Bucephalus

To be fair, 14k for 15 hours work is a fair good pro rata salary.

Edit: 15 hours per week!

Jellytots898

Definitely not true there are plenty of external jobs advertised and once you are an internal staff member you will be able to apply for the role of train operator.

Also Pro rata that is a great wage for two nights work you would still have plenty of time during the week to work another job too. Why is it such a bad thing to have to work from the bottom up?

LoogaBarooga

I'm struggling to think of a job I'd rather do less than this one.

Imagine the specimens you'd encounter.

RJ

Established Member
Why is it such a bad thing to have to work from the bottom up?

Not everybody wants to do that and not everybody has to do that. Maybe once upon a time, but times have changed.

I happen to think there's nothing wrong with the role. For customer service it pays well and that is reflective of the responsibility the role entails. There are millions of people in this country and the night hours will suit some. When I was a student I had a part time job driving London buses on Friday and Saturday nights and the hours, much the same as this job, were absolutely perfect for my circumstances.

I don't know how helpful people berating the role are being...

Last edited:

JaMa9

£14k for 15 hours a week is very decent, not forgetting all the travel benefits etc. The days and hours suit me well for a bit of extra cash on the side and my weekdays free.

Bucephalus

For those of applying it might not hurt to give this short documentary a watch. Could help create a bit of inspiration for filling in the application and answering the swj test

ninhog

You’d have to complete a 5 week, full-time training course if you’re successful in your application, therefore ruling out applications from anyone with an existing job, whether it be part or full time.

PizzaKing52

If I applied to be a Customer Service Assistant on Night Tube, would they have to choose what station I need to work at?

JaMa9

[]

If I applied to be a Customer Service Assistant on Night Tube, would they have to choose what station I need to work at?

The ad says it could be at any location in London. 'You will be assigned to an Area within a Cover Group and could be required to work at any of the number of stations within that Cover Group. Area’s can be anywhere covered by the London Underground Network.'

ninhog

Perhaps if you’re interested in the role it would be worth reading the job description. Attention to detail and using initiative would be required skills...

JaMa9

I applied 2 days ago and have just been invited to assessment centre. Initial date they have is Oct 7th, but future dates will be available too. Best to get your application in ASAP if that date is good for anyone.

ninhog

I applied 2 days ago and have just been invited to assessment centre. Initial date they have is Oct 7th, but future dates will be available too. Best to get your application in ASAP if that date is good for anyone.

...or wait until tomorrow for the full-time position.

Jellytots898

Not everybody wants to do that and not everybody has to do that. Maybe once upon a time, but times have changed.

I happen to think there's nothing wrong with the role. For customer service it pays well and that is reflective of the responsibility the role entails. There are millions of people in this country and the night hours will suit some. When I was a student I had a part time job driving London buses on Friday and Saturday nights and the hours, much the same as this job, were absolutely perfect for my circumstances.

I don't know how helpful people berating the role are being...

I'm not berating the role at all if that's what you think. If people don't want to work their way up then who's problem is that?

I see no problem with the role at all the wage is great for what it is and it is a good step into the company.

ninhog

...as you can see on the advert you can only apply for one or the other. Not all of us are looking for full time work.

True, but people don’t always read things properly so may not be aware of the full-time role about to be advertised.

Bucephalus

The full time role is not up. They said it would be today. Am I missing something, does anyone have a link for the FT job?

JaMa9

Edit - found answer to my question in PDF file, nevdermind!

Last edited:

kdone5

Is this is safety critical role? and is there any overtime available?

JaMa9

Anyone else got through to the role play/interview? And does anyone know what typical hours are for training.

KCJones

How was the tests can you give us some details on them ?

My OH is due to take them soon so it would be helpful to find out a bit more, like how many questions types etc. Are they as easy as the sample ones, do they use the same fares as the sample one ?

With the role play they'll pick a scenario and give you some detail in advance, will check on the ones I've been told about.

Interview will be on your competencies, so try and have 2 for each one and stick to the STAR process.

JaMa9

Yes they are as easy as sample ones. Checking validity of tickets very simple, just make sure you double check your answers as it's easy to accidently circle wrong one if you're rushing through. Spelling/grammar test extremely basic. Checking train zones also very basic, just familiarise yourself with reading tube map and all will be fine.

Im feeling okay about the role play thankfully, just trying to work on my STAR examples. My interview is on Thursday so still a bit of time to prepare

successboy17

Yes they are as easy as sample ones. Checking validity of tickets very simple, just make sure you double check your answers as it's easy to accidently circle wrong one if you're rushing through. Spelling/grammar test extremely basic. Checking train zones also very basic, just familiarise yourself with reading tube map and all will be fine.

Im feeling okay about the role play thankfully, just trying to work on my STAR examples. My interview is on Thursday so still a bit of time to prepare
Any feedback from Role play and interview?

KCJones

Try to double up and have 2 answers for each STAR plus take notes as it's so easy to forget everything under pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.