• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Customer service/dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busandrail

So after being in the TP for driver at Penzance for over a year now and no sign of that changing yet so iv applied for Customer Service/Train Dispatch to open the door and get in. Iv passed the online test and now booked my assessment. What is involved in these assesments? I take it they differ from the driver ones. Also if I'm lucky enough to get in, will this making progressing to driver much quicker?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Numbnuts846

So helpful
Being in a talent pool is not a guaranteed job and people will be picked out subject to when vacancies come up and also based on scores in the interview. If you get a job on the platform you will still be in the talent pool for the same amount of time.

Busandrail

Not sure what more you wanted really
Thats fair enough I suppose

Being in a talent pool is not a guaranteed job and people will be picked out subject to when vacancies come up and also based on scores in the interview. If you get a job on the platform you will still be in the talent pool for the same amount of time.

What I was getting at is that currently I'm completely external. I was just asking if being internal would progress quicker. That's all. I totally get there's still people infront of me etc and I'd have to wait X ammount of time.

Rockhopper

All the info they have about you in your driver application will be based on you not being a railway employee. That won’t change if you now get a railway job unless you reapply and start again.

Lmc1976

What is involved in these assesments?

Just one psychometric test, it’s played over a speaker system and is designed to test your ability to listen to a set order of instructions regarding dispatching a train and then has some customer service type questions chucked in to throw you off. It’s a concentration test, so my advice is make sure you dispatch the train safely and if you can answer the question posed at the same time then great. I passed this test and was interviewed the same day so you may need to prep for that, it’s a competency based interview.

Busandrail

Just one psychometric test, it’s played over a speaker system and is designed to test your ability to listen to a set order of instructions regarding dispatching a train and then has some customer service type questions chucked in to throw you off. It’s a concentration test, so my advice is make sure you dispatch the train safely and if you can answer the question posed at the same time then great. I passed this test and was interviewed the same day so you may need to prep for that, it’s a competency based interview.

Thanks for that. Yeah the email did say if your successful you will be interviewed. Preparing best I can. Fingers crossed

Geeves

Established Member
In a word, no

To be fair from personal experience its easier internally (especially if you are at a depot with a traincrew base and managers) plus you can talk other staff having gone through the same process. It doesn't mean you have any higher chance of passing the tests than the next person but you have put yourself to the top of the pile in regards to your application against the 4000 people who applied from outside.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
To be fair from personal experience its easier internally (especially if you are at a depot with a traincrew base and managers) plus you can talk other staff having gone through the same process. It doesn't mean you have any higher chance of passing the tests than the next person but you have put yourself to the top of the pile in regards to your application against the 4000 people who applied from outside.
Which would be relevant if not already in a pool

Geeves

Established Member
His last comment was asking if being inside the company would help which is what I was responding too so pretty relevant. I'm sure he is loving all the helpful comments you've added to this thread.

FGW_DID

Established Member
So after being in the TP for driver at Penzance for over a year now............. ..........Also if I'm lucky enough to get in, will this making progressing to driver much quicker?
Cheers

His last comment was asking if being inside the company would help which is what I was responding too so pretty relevant. I'm sure he is loving all the helpful comments you've added to this thread.

No, Read the OP! The OP was asking if being internal would get them out the talent pool (which they are already in!) any quicker! It won't as TTT answered.
Your answer may be relevant to someone who is starting the application process but unfortunately not the OP.

Busandrail

Ha. I was just asking for advice.

Which would be relevant if not already in a pool

No, Read the OP! The OP was asking if being internal would get them out the talent pool (which they are already in!) any quicker! It won't as TTT answered.
Your answer may be relevant to someone who is starting the application process but unfortunately not the OP.

That makes sense. Thankyou for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.