• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Customer Service Staff FCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

I have been invited to attend a "Selection Event" for the above roles. Included in this process are the following "A situational Exercise, a Team Exercise and a Group Activity". Can anybody tell me what these activities are. If anybody has done these, are they particularly difficult and are there any pitfalls.

Thank You

RH

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tnxrail

Not sure if this helps i did one like this for Cross Country few years ago and we had to debate what to take on off a sinking ship and decide what to do to be rescued or survive long time. They were looking for you to make clear choices, be confident and overall chose the best option, from what we were told afterwards.

U51

Pitdiver, Hi, I also have an assessment / interview with 'activities' next Friday at Liverpool Street with FCC, would you know by any chance as the description is 'loose' as to whether the position is based at a fixed location and if the pay advertised includes shift rate? (I should hope not !!). I thought i'd make a tit of myself and ask here first instead of making a tit of myself on the day !
Thanks,
U51

pitdiver

All I know is that I have to go to 55 Old Broad Street on the 9th May, It doesn't say any specific location of the job just FCC network. As I live in the North end of the FCC line I really don't fancy anywhere south of London.
Perhaps the fact I worked 16 years for London Underground might help. Nothing wrong in asking questions on the day regarding salary and shift patterns. Always good to ask questions like terms and conditions and prospects.

U51

9th of May, mine's on the 4th, same place, near as dammit Liverpool St. I'm sure it'll all get explained. Good luck
Regards,
U51

melvyn12

you will do a 19 question customer service question where you have to rate the answers on a scale of 1 -4 (1 being highest) you have 40 minutes to do this
then you are sat opposite a partner and one of you plays the customer and one the staff in a role play scenario (you are given instructions as to what your problem is as the customer and what your in charge of as the advisor) *you then swap*
you are then taken in groups of 4-5 into rooms with scenarios and you have to write on a big a2 piece of paper your solutions to a problem.

you break for lunch.

if successful, you are taken through to an interview stage which is 40 minutes long with competency based questions.

my friend had her interview today so fingers crossed all goes well, however she was advised she won't find out until 2 weeks time.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
oh and on the third stage with the a2 paper you then decide between your group whom presents which "room scenario" and you take it in turns to present your findings and solutions, for about a minute.

good luck

U51

Hi melvyn12, thanks for the heads up, that's a great help, also had a chat with 2 ticket inspectors this morning ( had spare time as train was cancelled !), they were also very helpful and answered my questions. Thanks again.
Regards,
U51

newuser

have any of you heard anything back?
i have successfully passed interview and "on hold"

U51

newuser, I failed at the assesment stage, scored well in the 'Test' section but failed miserably in the 'Activities' !! Not surprised really, if I wanted a job in acting I would have gone to Rada or looked in the ad section of The Stage, that situation was not something I was comfortable with and I think the outcome was for the best for both parties. But knowing how it works I think that in the future if anyone reapplies they could use some element of bluff to get through ! That person won't be me I'm afraid. Pity in some respects as it seems a great company to work for. I shall look for other available positions.
Good luck with your application and hoping they dont keep you on hold for too long
Regards,
u51

Bayum

Established Member
newuser, I failed at the assesment stage, scored well in the 'Test' section but failed miserably in the 'Activities' !! Not surprised really, if I wanted a job in acting I would have gone to Rada or looked in the ad section of The Stage, that situation was not something I was comfortable with and I think the outcome was for the best for both parties. But knowing how it works I think that in the future if anyone reapplies they could use some element of bluff to get through ! That person won't be me I'm afraid. Pity in some respects as it seems a great company to work for. I shall look for other available positions.
Good luck with your application and hoping they dont keep you on hold for too long
Regards,
u51

That's bad luck.

I think it's important to recognise however, that yes - you may not want to be an actor, but there is some element of customer facing service required as part of the job, therefore the skills an actor requires are needed by yourself also.

However, your reflection makes note of this downfall, which is a positive thing o do.

U51

Bayum, I here what you say, but, to role play as part of an assesment in front of a panel of prospective employers is not condusive to natural reaction when faced with a situation, I have customer facing experience and have never had a problem when dealing with enquiries or complaints but the assesment process in my mind is perverse. But hey, it gets the results the company wants so it must obviously work, I was invited to reapply in 6 months but I feel its not the career choice for me but good luck to anyone who is selected.
Regards,
u51

P.S. Downfall ? Its not the end of an empire or a tyranical coup, just a slightly unerving experience.

pitdiver

I too was unsuccessful and was told that my file will be held for 6 months. I just wonder how many positions they had to fill.

melvyn12

My friend did get offered a position with them. She actually did attend drama school so to be honest it did definitely work in her favour as hearing some of the tasks you can't help but think it seems a bit MUCH for a job but there you go, and one of the girls she became friends with on facebook that day also got offered a position and they do look like a good company so fingers crossed it all works out

newuser

My friend did get offered a position with them. She actually did attend drama school so to be honest it did definitely work in her favour as hearing some of the tasks you can't help but think it seems a bit MUCH for a job but there you go, and one of the girls she became friends with on facebook that day also got offered a position and they do look like a good company so fingers crossed it all works out

How long was it from interview to she got the job offer?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've had to speak in front of a large group, and it's scary at first for sure. However, if I know what I am talking about then it's a lot easier than being thrown into the spotlight in some sort of group roleplay (or having to talk to a large group of people who are judging/rating you).

I'd no doubt fail such a test in an interview, yet feel that I'd do pretty well speaking to a large group of angry/upset/confused passengers and giving clear, legible, instructions.

AlexS

Established Member
You have no idea how you will perform when surrounded by a crowd of a few hundred angry, stranded passengers until you actually end up there! :) The assessments merely serve as an indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.