• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Customs At Brussels Midi train station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Always late

Hi Does anybody know how long it take to clear customs at Brussels Midi Train station, need a connecting train in 45 mins well that give me enough time?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Coming from the UK it takes a few minutes getting out of the Eurostar unless you are right at the front of the train but I don't think there is a passport check normally. 45 minutes is well long enough, time for a coffee/beer!

(Sorry, I had forgotten that the South platform exit had reopened, making it even easier - I didn't need to use it last time I was there - see MarcVD's link below)

Boarding Eurostar 45 minutes should be comfortable - in any case, once you are checked in on time you become Eurostar's problem. Last time I was there the Belgian passport control was holding things up, but that depends on staff numbers.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
There are no active customs checks on arrival by Eurostar in Brussels Midi/Zuid. You can walk straight out.

(If you were talking about immigration/passport checks rather than customs, these are carried out at your UK departure station before you join the train.)

gazthomas

Established Member
What customs? I left my train and went down some stairs to get a connecting train to Cologne. No checks at all

island

Veteran Member
I think the distinction needs to be made between immigration (checking of passports and granting where necessary of permission to enter a country) and customs (checking of goods that travellers may be carrying and levying of duties and taxes). Some people incorrectly use these terms interchangeably. Perhaps the OP might confirm which he was referring to.

Established Member
From my experience, you definitely shouldn't count on making a connecting train in London if you're catching Eurostar from Brussels! I find that late departures due to it taking too long for everyone to clear immigration and security are all too frequent (I usually make this journey on a Sunday evening if that makes any difference).

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Hi Does anybody know how long it take to clear customs at Brussels Midi Train station, need a connecting train in 45 mins well that give me enough time?
Thanks
There's a dedicated connections walkway from the platform, and 45 minutes is plenty of time if you are on time

johnnychips

Established Member
From my experience, you definitely shouldn't count on making a connecting train in London if you're catching Eurostar from Brussels! I find that late departures due to it taking too long for everyone to clear immigration and security are all too frequent (I usually make this journey on a Sunday evening if that makes any difference).

Yes, so do I. The train managers on the Eurostar don’t walk up and down the train very much so you can’t get your ticket stamped, but the staff at Kings X seem to be used to it and change my too-late Advance to Donny without fuss.

paddington

While we are in the EU, it is very difficult to breach customs regulations when travelling by Eurostar as you can only bring baggage that you are able to carry by hand yourself.

duesselmartin

Established Member
I have never experienced customs on Eurostar or passport checks when arriving at Bxl Midi. There seem to be, as mentioned, sporadic security checks for Thalys and ICE.

island

Veteran Member
While we are in the EU, it is very difficult to breach customs regulations when travelling by Eurostar as you can only bring baggage that you are able to carry by hand yourself.
That’s not correct. Carrying excise goods (such as tobacco or alcohol) for commercial resale within the EU requires a customs declaration, and Eurostar offers a (paid for) checked-in baggage service allowing you to take more bags than you can carry.

Established Member
Yes, so do I. The train managers on the Eurostar don’t walk up and down the train very much so you can’t get your ticket stamped, but the staff at Kings X seem to be used to it and change my too-late Advance to Donny without fuss.

Last time I had a delay going the other way (which led to me missing my ICE to Cologne), the train manager announced he would be walking down the train to endorse tickets and give advice about connections, then didn't bother. The queue at the international ticket office in Brussels was too long for me to get it endorsed there, luckily I didn't have a single ticket check on any of the three trains I had to use to get to Cologne instead!

Capybara

You were lucky. I've travelled the 'slow' route from Brussels to Aachen on many occasions and don't think I have ever not had my ticket checked. On one occasion I took the ICE option in the other direction and they announced that it would terminate in Aachen and replacement 'buses to Welkenraedt would be provided. It was a full train so chaos ensued. The quick-witted realised that there was a rail option so hopped on the next Welkenraedt train as that was likely to be quicker (it was, there was no sign of any of the coaches at Welkenraedt) than the coach. The Belgian ticket collector pounced and a few passengers got stung. I was OK as I was on Interrail.

route101

Established Member
That’s not correct. Carrying excise goods (such as tobacco or alcohol) for commercial resale within the EU requires a customs declaration, and Eurostar offers a (paid for) checked-in baggage service allowing you to take more bags than you can carry.

Come to think of it when i arrive at Glasgow Airport only a few times theres been custom officers.

Gadget88

I read marseille has no customs that can’t be very safe? Read a few other Eurostar stops in France are the same?

island

Veteran Member
Passengers on the Marseille to London service are tipped out at Lille-Europe and all go through passport and security checks. Meanwhile the train is searched for contraband.

Gadget88

Ah that explains it.

I read Brussels will be the same with Amsterdam services will the checks be done on the train?

duesselmartin

Established Member
Passengers on the Marseille to London service are tipped out at Lille-Europe and all go through passport and security checks. Meanwhile the train is searched for contraband.

Certainly enough hassle to make me think twice of its worth it. It takes all advantages of a direct train. One just as well change.

island

Veteran Member
Ah that explains it.

I read Brussels will be the same with Amsterdam services will the checks be done on the train?
As I understand it, security checks will be done before passengers join the train at Amsterdam-Centraal and Rotterdam-Centraal (Schiphol will be drop-off only) and passengers will be dumped off at Brussels-Midi/Zuid to go through passport checks. UK Border Force cannot perform passport checks on board the train as (a) they require to scan all passports into their system and (b) the risk of someone hiding in the toilets etc. whilst the checks are taking place is too high.

By contrast, UK Border Force as well as security checks are available at Bourg-St.-Maurice and Moûtiers-Salins-Brides-les-Bains stations for the ski trains.

TheSeeker

23517961_10155781805684043_8516724679841889838_n.jpg Here's a stamp from an old passport of mine when the passport control was on the train. I was with some colleagues who insisted I be checked as "He's Welsh".

Goldfish62

Established Member
Come to think of it when i arrive at Glasgow Airport only a few times theres been custom officers.

In all my considerable years of travelling abroad I have never ever been stopped by Customs. Now I've said that, the next time....

Elwyn

In all my considerable years of travelling abroad I have never ever been stopped by Customs. Now I've said that, the next time....

There was a time in the UK when every passenger had an interview with a Customs Officer. I can remember flying into Birmingham in the 1960s and the Customs Officer had a great big board that he held, with the duty free allowances spelled out, and each passenger was asked if they had anything in excess of the allowances. We all queued for 20 minutes to get through.

However as passenger travel grew exponentially, it became impossible to continue operating like that and also rather futile interviewing the vast majority of passengers who had nothing to declare or even if they had a little excess it was unlikely to undermine the economy. So nowadays the UK Customs control operates on an intelligence led approach. So they can analyse flight data (using advanced passenger information) and use other sources to determine when someone is travelling who may be smuggling or evading taxes etc. When that happens, you’ll see the customs control swarming with staff, but after the flight is over they all vanish again.

Passport control is slightly different because it’s a slightly different business, with different needs, and in the UK, we examine every passport, so far as is possible.

atillathehunn

Established Member
As others said, no customs at Brussels inbound. Half way down the platform there's an exit for connections, use that. Else, it's not a long walk if you accidentally go the normal way. The queue for the elevator is usually huge, there's an escalator if you continue to the left, or stairs.

They are getting more picky on other forms of transport, though. You may find random security checks in place for access to the platforms. Access to the platform where the Thalys/ICE will stop at 'normal' stations (e.g. Liege) are now fenced off a bit before departure. Reasonably ineffective.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They are getting more picky on other forms of transport, though. You may find random security checks in place for access to the platforms. Access to the platform where the Thalys/ICE will stop at 'normal' stations (e.g. Liege) are now fenced off a bit before departure. Reasonably ineffective.

Not at all of them. I won't name them in case anyone wants to misuse, but you can probably guess which ones will be impossible/impractical to do if you know them.

It's security théatre at its very finest.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Not at all of them. I won't name them in case anyone wants to misuse, but you can probably guess which ones will be impossible/impractical to do if you know them.

It's security théatre at its very finest.
It's not a secret, the station is in the public domain, I can go and look at it. Liege and Aachen are among them. I've been waiting on the platform for my train, with a Thalys scheduled to call in the interim. No eviction, no security check.

TheSeeker

At Cardiff airport there was a phone to use to declare goods. As I remember a customs officer would have to drive from Bristol on demand. I guess with Brexit all this green and red channel stuff will be coming back. Chalk marks on suitcases etc, having to explain yourself when questioned. I always think of the scene in "The Lavender Hill Mob" where they are trying to rush through customs in Calais. Back to the fifties in more ways than one.

Status
Not open for further replies.