• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cut off date/time with Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen2323

I am busy compiling an application with Northern for which the cut off date is Friday 9th July.

I am well aware of the small print saying the advert can be pulled early but does anyone know if there is a specific time that the application must be submitted by?

Is it open all day and I would have until 2359hrs as I have seen for other jobs in the past?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

centro-323

Not sure what kind of answer you're looking for here. Someone might reply saying they once submitted theirs at 11pm on closing day and still got through, but who's to say it'll work like that every time?

Really I'd say if you want the job, then make time to do it tonight. Otherwise you're just running the risk of missing out.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
In 2019, I started an application for a role with West Mids Trains which is done on the Abellio careers site. I commenced the application well in advance of the closing date, took a break to resume the application the following day, only to find WMT had pulled the vacancy in between.

Its always advisable to get a job application in sooner rather than later in case this happens, but you also need to spend a little time ensuring the application is a really good standard (no spelling mistakes or poor grammar).

CJ

Emilali

I am busy compiling an application with Northern for which the cut off date is Friday 9th July.

I am well aware of the small print saying the advert can be pulled early but does anyone know if there is a specific time that the application must be submitted by?

Is it open all day and I would have until 2359hrs as I have seen for other jobs in the past?
Surely the time taken to make this post would have been better spent filling in the application if you actually want the job!

Owen2323

Not sure what kind of answer you're looking for here. Someone might reply saying they once submitted theirs at 11pm on closing day and still got through, but who's to say it'll work like that every time?

Really I'd say if you want the job, then make time to do it tonight. Otherwise you're just running the risk of missing out.
I appreciate where you are coming from there and the advice but I'm having to spread myself pretty thin at the minute. I'm sure I'll get it in in good time I was just wondering if Northern had a policy where it was taken down at 1200hrs or 2359 etc. The advert didn't specify and they usually do.

I had queried it with them by email but hadn't had a response. Typically in the meantime they have replied to say it is 2359hrs for anyone else's future reference

Might not be the smartest move asking a potential employer if you can submit an application last minute? They may wonder if you’ll be arriving for work last minute too

Rover77

Hi Owen. I understand where you are coming from. It's not easy to submit a really good application at the drop of a hat when you work full-time and may have other commitments. I hope it works out for you.
One peice of advice, copy your answers and examples and keep them in a word document. That way you are ready at very short notice for any future applications. Good luck

CreamNCookies

Hi Owen. I understand where you are coming from. It's not easy to submit a really good application at the drop of a hat when you work full-time and may have other commitments. I hope it works out for you.
One peice of advice, copy your answers and examples and keep them in a word document. That way you are ready at very short notice for any future applications. Good luck
I second this. I have many answers that have passed sifts in a document for just incase scenarios.

I can tweek them according to companies and roles and it really does save time!

route101

Established Member
That's what I do. Sometimes you do have to start from scratch but having a base saves time.

Might not be the smartest move asking a potential employer if you can submit an application last minute? They may wonder if you’ll be arriving for work last minute too
I wonder that too, the time applied must show. I once asked a company when the deadline was (none listed) and they said get it in ASAP. It can take a bit of time to polish an application yet at times I may not of come across the advert sooner.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Owen

From applying for various roles with Northern in 2019/20, they don't tend to pull vacancies before the deadline date. However, I wouldn't take that as a gospel statement - I'm sure anything is quite possible in the world of TOC recruitment.

As I said in my previous post - the Abellio TOCs seem to commonly pull their roles quickly. I do remember one TOC (I think it was SWR) advertised for trainee train drivers once, and the vacancy was removed in just 24 hours!!!!

CJ

skyhigh

Established Member
From applying for various roles with Northern in 2019/20, they don't tend to pull vacancies before the deadline date. However, I wouldn't take that as a gospel statement - I'm sure anything is quite possible in the world of TOC recruitment
From my experience, they do pull traincrew roles early

Owen2323

Thanks for the support and advice everyone. I got it submitted in good time thanks. This is my first non driver application in the rail industry so I figured it would be less likely to be pulled early

Status
Not open for further replies.