• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CV writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering if anyone has ever had to get a professional to write or assist with writing a cv and if it was worth the money.
I haven't had to do one for 21 years which was when Ieft school but I think it's time I did , but it's quite a daunting task.

Any advice appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roger1973

national careers service website may be worth a look.

it's open to all ages (when I left school there was a 'careers service' but it only catered for fairly recent school leavers) and did a while ago have some places where you could get face to face advice, not sure if they have survived the cuts and covid.

there's a lot of advice on the web, some of which conflicts, and beware of websites that are not UK based because 'the done thing' is different in different countries.

and depending on what sort of job hunting you are doing, it may be worth having a base CV but editing it slightly for different job applications, depending on just what skills / experience are the right selling points for that particular job.

najaB

Veteran Member
Was wondering if anyone has ever had to get a professional to write or assist with writing a cv and if it was worth the money.
Unless you are going for a very high-level job then it's probably not worth the expense.

I haven't had to do one for 21 years which was when Ieft school but I think it's time I did , but it's quite a daunting task.
The main advice I can give is to take several stabs at it. Get the basics down, then leave it a bit and go back to expand on each section. Repeat until you're happy with the result.

This approach gives you time to remember all the little bits that you forgot on the previous pass.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I would also suggest - do not make it too long, or it might be ignored. They probably won't have time to plough through dozens of multi-page CVs, at least in the first stage of compiling an initial shortlist.
Include a summary of your qualifications, and any work experience - especially the types of task that may be of use to the new employer. Likewise, only include hobbies if requested, or if likely to be of use to the employer. If you include too much irrelevant detail about hobbies, they might think you could spend too much time thinking about hobbies, rather than concentrating on the job.

And, especially - no lies or half-truths. These usually get found out eventually, and could lead to dismissal (or worse) if you get the job.

najaB

Veteran Member
I would also suggest - do not make it too long, or it might be ignored. They probably won't have time to plough through dozens of multi-page CVs, at least in the first stage of compiling an initial shortlist.
Seconded. A single page cover letter and two-page (single sided) CV is usually more than adequate.

SteveM70

Established Member
- tell the truth, and be able to back it up. You’d be amazed (or maybe not) in the modern world with LinkedIn etc etc how many recruiters know someone where you work now, even if at second or third hand

- highlight achievements and what you’ve delivered, not just what the job you did was. Why are you different to others with similar experience

Thanks for the replies, I'm not looking for a job but it just dawned on me that I ought to have a cv as I have got to managerial level over the years and you just never know what will happen in these strange times we live in.

TheSeeker

Keeping it to two pages is a good idea. This really helps you focus on the positive things you have done so far. Be prepared to be cross examined on the things that you write and explain how they might be relevant to the new post. I changed jobs recently after 18 years in the previous place. Luckily I had a lot of interesting things to talk about.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Two pages, list what you have done in work not what you did at school years ago. Don't lie, a good interviewer will ask you more about what you put on your CV (I did some recruitment in a previous job, its amazing how many people don't expect the stuff they write on their CVs to be asked about!) But don't just list skills, quals et cetera, explain what you did with those things. (E.g. "I used X to help improve Y" is better than "I know X")

Many jobs have application forms you have to fill in instead though, the last time I was job hunting about 8 years ago I had a load of CVs printed off but never got to send any!

birchesgreen

Established Member
Very important tip: make sure your name is on both pages. You might end up in a situation where an interviewer prints a load of CVs out and some idiot knocks the pile of CVs off his desk mixing everything up! It isn't fun if people don't have their names on every page, believe me! :lol:

mwmbwls

It is useful to use the header function in most word processor packages to capture your name and contact data so that it appears on all pages, Most Employers use an application form to ensure consistency and minimise risks of claims of discrimination. I agree with the earlier comments about CV length but also think about a SHORT covering letter that demonstrates that you have read the advert by reflecting key words. . Word Processing apps also allow you to tailor your CV so that you can include key words/phrases from the advert in your covering letter. Historic stuff counts for less than more current material so weight your career history towards your most recent experience. Start to think about how you appear at an interview. The killer opening question is "Tell me about yourself?" You have about two minutes at the most to answer. Finish with a question such as "Is there anything you would like me to elaborate on?"

wireforever

Make sure to use spellcheck before you save the CV or send it to an employer if possible get someone to proof read it before you send it and tailor a CV to different job specifications by that I mean include skills,experience and qualifications relevant to the job description that is advertised

TheSeeker

Interestingly CV writing seems to differ greatly between countries. A German friend explained that putting marital status, spouse and even children's names and dates of birth was normal there. Family in France put a passport style photo on theirs but then the personal data is anonymised to avoid discrimination.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Marital status was said to be a good thing to put as a married person was thought to be more stable though I don't think that is the case anymore!

One thing people shouldn't put on a CV is their hobbies and interests, especially if its "watching TV" or "clubbing". To be honest you should only put stuff like that if it might be relevant to the job role, e.g. if applying for an engineering role put that you are restoring an old car, or restore wagons on a preserved line. Or perhaps if it might be seen as an asset for the company, e.g. you volunteer for St Johns ambulance and are a first aider.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Two sides of A4 maximum using a clear font (personally I like Open Sans but anything like Calibri or Arial would be fine) at a legible size (so I'd go no smaller than 10 and probably 11 or 12) for your text. My style usually has my name and contact information at the top of the page, then a couple of sentences highlight some key features from my experience that match the person and job spec (so if I was applying for a job as a delivery driver I might say something like "I have held a driving licence for over x years and have never had any motoring convictions or accidents during that time") followed by my work history. Next to each entry I'd put some information about what experiences and skills the job either gave me or allowed me to demonstrate (tailored to the job you're applying for).

I tend to put slightly more detail about more recent jobs than older once (unless there was something from an older job that was very relevant). So when I was last doing my CV I had done some work experience with the local Council only a few years prior to writing but as that was only three weeks and not directly relevant it tended to be a one line entry such as "Data Entry Clerk - Worked for three weeks inputting data from paper surveys onto a database. This required me to demonstrate the ability to complete a repetitive task whilst maintaining a high level of accuracy". Whereas the job I was actually doing at the time I wrote a short paragraph highlighting things I'd achieved, skills I'd developed, etc etc. I've put my education stuff down with a couple of sentences about things my degree gave me/demonstrated and then just a line for A-Levels and GCSEs ("I have A-Levels in X, Y, Z and 9 GCSEs at A* - C including English and Maths"). To be honest though I might not even bother at this stage to include anything other than my degree but certainly I've not put more detail than that even when I was first writing my CV.

Then it's just any other odds and sods that are relevant so I usually thrown in a line about my driving licence and access to my own car, familiarity with computers and things like Microsoft Office (though that's probably given these days!), if I've currently got a First Aid certificate I'll chuck that out. I thrown in some other certifications that I hold if they're relevant to the job I'm applying for at that stage. And then at the very end if there is room a sentence on hobbies (which are at least vaguely interesting rather than just "watch TV"!).

I also don't bother listing my references on my CV and just put a note at the end saying "References available on request".

Then if required a covering letter one side only (unless they ask for more!) highlighting some key features about me and my experiences that match the person spec and job description.

That seems to have worked so far! But CV writing is more of an art than an exact science I think!! Personally I'd never pay money for someone to write my CV for me. You'd be far better served using the suggestions of the people on this thread and having a Google around and finding examples of other people's CVs. Put it together and then ask a friend or family member or two to go over it.

The other thing I'd say is not to sweat too much effort into your CV as you'll find that a great many jobs these days (certainly for larger firms and even smaller ones) will have application forms that you fill in that capture everything you'd put into a CV anyway. Some I know love to make you upload a CV and then complete an application form anyway but I assume those firms are just sadists so you probably don't want to work there anyway :lol:

birchesgreen

Established Member
When I was interviewing people the hobbies/interests bit was kind of irrelevant - especially as most put stuff like watching TV, going to the pub, reading! Wow amazing. To honest you might just end up sounding rather boring at best or weird / a potential liability at worst. If its something relevant to the job that might be useful.

route101

Established Member
When I was interviewing people the hobbies/interests bit was kind of irrelevant - especially as most put stuff like watching TV, going to the pub, reading! Wow amazing. To honest you might just end up sounding rather boring at best or weird / a potential liability at worst. If its something relevant to the job that might be useful.
I put travelling and aligned it to the job, like travelling to sites across the UK.

I've been on the job hunt recently. I find you get conflicting advice, for example a career objective at the top of your CV. My CV is 2 pages, I have a career objective of only two or 3 sentences, 5 key skills from university and employment, then my education and work history. I find it hard to keep to 2 pages, I have 3 jobs listed and will have to remove one if I add a new job.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have given up trying to get my wife's 3-page CV to comply with expected standards, especially after her care agency advised her to include the following:

1618243131400.png

1618243296386.png

1618243189663.png

birchesgreen

Established Member
I've been on the job hunt recently. I find you get conflicting advice, for example a career objective at the top of your CV. My CV is 2 pages, I have a career objective of only two or 3 sentences, 5 key skills from university and employment, then my education and work history. I find it hard to keep to 2 pages, I have 3 jobs listed and will have to remove one if I add a new job.
I think the advice depends on the industry you are targeting, mine comes from IT based jobs so may not be 100% for a role in a railway job for example. In my area (IT and education) hardly any jobs require CVs these days, application forms instead.

route101

Established Member
Is applying speculatively still a thing? I got told recently not to bother, but I thought that was how you make the extra effort in your job search.

najaB

Veteran Member
Is applying speculatively still a thing? I got told recently not to bother, but I thought that was how you make the extra effort in your job search.
There's no harm in doing it, but don't expect many bites.

najaB

Veteran Member
Mixed bag so far. From one place who emailed back very quickly to another that has ignored me.
Larger companies often have a pool of potential employees, so may write back to say that you'll be on file for x months. I know that the recruiters at my company will contact previous applicants first if a new post opens up.

route101

Established Member
Larger companies often have a pool of potential employees, so may write back to say that you'll be on file for x months. I know that the recruiters at my company will contact previous applicants first if a new post opens up.
Speak of the devil, I had someone email me back just there. Yes, I have heard that a few times, you often have to chase them up.

telstarbox

Established Member
Depends on the industry but I use a tight single page CV with a decent covering email to a named person at the organisation. It's got me three job offers so far and nobody said the CV was too short!

deltic

Established Member
Depends on what type of role you are going for as to how to structure a CV. It seems you have considerable experience and therefore your CV could be based on your competencies, eg headings covering: experience of managing people, dealing with the public, project management etc rather than a chronological list of employment and positions.

I have given up trying to get my wife's 3-page CV to comply with expected standards, especially after her care agency advised her to include the following:

View attachment 94273

View attachment 94275

View attachment 94274
To me this CV could be turned into a very impressive list of skills and experiences rather than a list of employers/voluntary work. A covering letter can explain personal circumstances while the CV highlights skills of working with children, those with special needs, working with the public, responsibilities etc. It is often better to have a number of shorter CVs aimed at particular types of employers eg one for retail, working with young people, and a more generic one.

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
Agreed, keep it short - and relevant to the job you are applying for

Also, do not rely 100% on spellchecker; even a PC can get it wrong. Nothing beats a good 'ol fashion proofread - when you're fresh; i.e. the next day
I do this with everything and make sure it's the English spelling as things like MS Office pick up the US spelling on EN settings, although I can usually spot it.
I remember someone putting on their CV they were a Man City season ticket holder (nothing to do with the job). The manager told me he'd a really good chat with him .. about Man City!

Status
Not open for further replies.