Cycle spaces on trains

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by jfowkes, 12 Aug 2019.

Should trains have bike spaces at all?

1. Yes

238 vote(s)
    62.3%
  2. No

74 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. It's obviously complicated and context dependent

70 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. pt_mad

pt_mad Established Member

Good point.

Great with trains with double doors and vestibules at thirds along the carriages. Not so good where you need a member of staff to open a bike space for you.

2. smsm1

smsm1 Member

The London-Norwich is like that too, being in Ipswich it feels odd to have a reservation for a 10 or 20 minute journey Manningtree or Colchester. Even the 45ish minutes to Norwich should be a turn up and go service and requires a reservation. It puts me off doing the journey.

I like the idea of easier reservations, especially making it easier to drop your reservation if your plans change. Often you need to plan 24 hours in advance, and it's just too long for relatively short journeys of up to around 2 hours. How to get this rolled out nationally?

Eek, that's expensive. The Dutch system is a flat rate fee per day, which discourages people taking cycles on short trains journeys, but long journeys it's worthwhile to pay the fee.

3. Spartacus

Spartacus Established Member

This might be one reason why bike theft from stations has been soaring recently (42% in one year!). As well as being good for the environment and your health, cycling's good for your wallet, but it's less so if you have to own two bikes, or have to replace it due to it getting stolen.

As someone who used to ride a lot, and take my bike on a train probably every other journey, I find that compulsory reservations put me off totally. There's no way I'll know exactly which train I'm going to be getting back from somewhere. I'd often go to the NYMR, riding from Malton to Pickering and back, but relying on them keeping to their timetable meant soemtimes I'd be an hour later returning than expected, while even just going for a ride myself my return time could be seriously affected due to wind and rain. It's ironic that TOCs are continuously going towards turn-up-and-go frquency, but tying certain users to specific trains more and more.

4. Tracked

Tracked Member

Some of the Northern Pacers here in South Yorkshire actually have the best bike provision, imho. Trans-Pennine would have scored better if they hadn't insisted on booking spaces for their new trains, which we're not getting ...

I use an old, cheap, bike for commuting purposes, but leave it at Doncaster as by the time it'd have been locked up at the back of work it would give no time advantage (it'd also be awkward at Sheffield to change trains).

5. ashkeba

ashkeba Member

Is the lack of peak-time bike transport encouraging people to take those various illegal electric mini scooter things with them? They seem more visible near the London terminals than in central London.

6. ashkeba

ashkeba Member

Cambridge, where 30 bikes were nicked in one swoop this morning, says https://pic.twitter.com/UrJ6jY2tA2
    Is it any wonder people want to take their bikes on trains instead of parking at stations?

7. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

If everybody who cycled to Cambridge station tried to take their bike on the train, it would be nothing short of chaotic!

8. py_megapixel

py_megapixel Member

The UK has some very large cities outside London.
    London's public transport is actually an acceptable intergrated system.
    Most other British cities still have separate transport companies which are unregulated, and equivalents to the Boris bike scheme are very rare. Until local urban transport gets the investment it needs on both profitable and unprofitable routes, nationwide, it will not be a realistic option for most people's "last mile" commutes for which cycling is popular.

9. 6Gman

6Gman Established Member

Quite happy with that as long as cyclists pay for the space.

(Hides under chair.)

Seriously, it struck me on a busy Merseyrail service recently where a guy got on with his bike and put it in the cycle space (occupying enough space for two extra seats) then went and sat - effectively using three spaces.

10. 6Gman

6Gman Established Member

I used to take my motorbike by train. Very useful. Would you restore that facility?

11. ashkeba

ashkeba Member

I have no objection to buying the bike a reasonably-priced ticket because it does take up space - I have done this in Belgium and the Netherlands and maybe elsewhere - but as @smsm1 (I think) has pointed out, there are good reasons for fairly flat-rate ticket prices (both Beglium and the Netherlands have bike day tickets with two price bands: one for national off-peak and another for anytime international services and connections).

I don't think it is as simple as saying the cycle occupies two seats though because well-designed trains can fit at least four bikes in the space of two seats, or fit a bike in windowless dead space no seats would go in.

12. ashkeba

ashkeba Member

13. 43096

43096 Established Member

Agreed. Well most of it.

Given that cyclists seem to be universally incapable of using the facilities are provided for their devices and leave them in any gangway, corridor or doorway as they see fit, until such time as they can use the facilities properly then they should be banned.

There is a wider issue with these people - and it is getting towards being a majority of them - that they think they can do what they want because they are using a bike. Going on the pavement, wrong way down a one-way street, diving in and out of traffic, etc etc etc. They are an absolute menace, especially for pedestrians, and they need licensing with a proper competency test, as other road users have.

14. 43096

43096 Established Member

Yes it should be the same, regardless of length. Zero spaces on all trains.

Can you take a bike on a long distance coach?

15. brad465

brad465 Member

As a long distance cyclist I've often taken a bike for tour riding - away from taking my bike on a train to a holiday destination, I have spent a given day going by cycling in a different area to home (Exmoor from Taunton being a favourite from Uni days in Bath), then got the train back with little issue the same day. At the moment I cannot drive, but even if I could for some rides it would arguably not be safe to drive straight after a long ride (Exmoor was 90 miles in 7 hours), so the train works well for that too.

16. Scott1

Scott1 Member

Personally I think they should be conveyed but not for free. The provision of cycle bays take up a large amount of space, and whilst it is a balance if a passenger wishes to take a none folding bike I'd prefer a small charge for this, especially as users of push chairs are required to fold them up on most routes. I'll be honest, I'd probably feel more sympathetic towards cyclists were it not for the number of issues I've had with them blocking gangways and wheelchair bays.

17. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

You can on the Stagecoach Oxford-Cambridge X5 (in the luggage bit underneath) .... subject to space available that is.

18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

Yes to proper spaces, but equally yes to proper enforcement stopping them blocking up spaces not designed for bikes. I think a more robust bike space reservation system is needed

19. HSTEd

HSTEd Established Member

Doing that would cost much, much more than giving every regular a bike user a second bike for their commute.
    Securing the bikes at the city centre location would also cost relatively little compared to the other alternatives.

Bikes are cheap, an optimised transport system will tolerate giving people extra bikes quite well.

Less so for nearly £2m train vehicles.

20. ashkeba

ashkeba Member

When did you pass your walking competency test then?

More generally, there is a name for punishing all tenuously-linked people for the sins of a minority and it's not nice. Where would banning arbitrary groups from train stop? Before or after rail services were bankrupt? Deal with the offenders instead of punishing everyone.

21. 43096

43096 Established Member

I don't walk down the middle of the actual road (rather than the pavement). I'm also not walking at significant speed which has the potential to do significant damage to others should you hit them.

If you're talking tenuous then I'd suggest you're the one making tenuous comparisons.

22. py_megapixel

py_megapixel Member

Yes, some have bike racks mounted on the back.

23. ashkeba

ashkeba Member

Not really and plenty of incompetent joggers out there but this has little to do with bike space provision so I disagree on the above and leave it there while repeating the plea to deal with offenders instead of banning whole passenger groups. After all, we don't ban everyone carrying phones from stations because of the idiots who cause delays with them in many innovative ways.

24. 43096

43096 Established Member

Cycle provision on trains is costly and brings virtually no additional revenue. It doesn't exactly stack up on a cost:benefit basis.

25. ashkeba

ashkeba Member

It brings revenue by attracting users who would otherwise drive or not travel and could bring more if bike tickets were sold and costs little more than providing other large luggage space if designed well, plus it opens up wider economical benefits from enabling more active travel. I think it is Beeching-onomics to see it as not stacking up.

26. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

While it would be good if this was addressed (and some stations are good - Bletchley is covered in CCTV cameras and not at all hidden away), you can address it yourself by having a cheap second hand "hack bike" to use for going to the station, and keep your £5K road bike at home. It probably won't get nicked, but if it does it's only say 30 quid's worth.

27. Parallel

Parallel Established Member

The problem is the inconsistency of cycle spaces and how much the cycle policy is enforced.

My morning train is 5 cars operated by GWR (normally a 158 hybrid and a 150). Most of their 150s now have 4 bike spaces. The hybrid 158s either have 2 bike space sections with three spaces in each or 2 wheelchair sections depending which ‘Coach C’ has been bolted on. So in theory you can get up to 10 bicycle spaces on this formation which is pretty good. However sometimes a single 166 covers, and that has 2 spaces and usually you get bikes blocking the doors.

28. DC2001

DC2001 Member

A dedicated section for storage of bikes (that actually fits bikes) with a luggage rack in above would be a good start on most trains; on routes where the trains are full, more carriages need to be added to these services (supply and demand). The bike section should also not be shared with the wheelchair section; most bike users always try to go to the correct place when travelling with a bike.

Signage should be as clear as in the image from @Bletchleyite or at least obviously located such as always in the centre carriage to prevent the need for cyclists to have to run the length of the train.

If we want to encourage people to use sustainable transport rather than driving, we need suitable facilities onboard to cater for this. I find that generally when once bike is on board a train, further bikes hardly take up any additional space.

29. Taunton

Taunton Established Member

There is a more general issue that applies to specific provision in trains for specific groups or needs, whether it's play areas for children, bike spaces, full restaurant cars, wheelchair spaces, etc, and that is that the demand for all of these is extremely variable, and often the relevant passengers will only be around for a small proportion of the train's usage, whether it's by time of day, route, season, or whatever. The rest of the time the provision is wasted. Seats are a fairly basic requirement, and the railway is (somewhat) able to manage whether a 4 car or 12 car is required, but putting in special needs provision that is only used a small amount of the time is just wasteful.

Most trains I am on allow bicycles, but there aren't any, especially in the winter. I think the demand just isn't there.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2019
  30. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

Not quite sure why people need to take their bike on certain routes. GA Bike and Go or Boris bikes as an example.