• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cyclists - your experiences on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Brake discs wear away of course and have to be replaced using special tools, or one pays someone to do it. Using a back-pedal brake or fixed-wheel to brake is my choice, for legs are much stronger than arms. Not many hills round here, mind.

Fixies require stronger knees than I have :)

Roller brakes (which is what Dutch style backpedal brakes use) do wear out, though admittedly like car rear drums they last a long time!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnMcL7

Brake discs wear away of course and have to be replaced using special tools, or one pays someone to do it. Using a back-pedal brake or fixed-wheel to brake is my choice, for legs are much stronger than arms. Not many hills round here, mind.
One of the main advantages of hydraulic brakes is that they require almost no effort since they hydraulic system amplifies your force on the levers, it means when you're on an MTB bouncing down a hill you can grip the bars and still control the braking with one or two fingers or when resting on the hoods of a road bike you've still full control with a bit of pressure on the top of the lever.

Brake discs do not wear quickly as I've racked up thousands of miles on each of my bikes and they haven't need the discs changed, the standard six bolt rotor doesn't need special tools either since you can remove and fit them with an allen key. Of course they're not free from maintenance and tend to run great for a while then can be a pain when needing bled. I did have a roller brake previously and it wasn't free from maintenance either usually needing a bit of work each year to keep it going. I think hydraulic brakes get a bad reputation for needing a lot of work because they're mainly on mountain bikes where they have a much harder life, on my two road bikes the brakes haven't needed any work done on them apart from the occasional set of brake pads. Even on the mountain bikes I've only had one problem with a hydraulic brake I had to replace but that was after years of use and that bike has a particularly rough life.

I don't think any of that matters because there's not much crossover between the two so you're unlikely to be choosing between the two brake types, the type of city bikes with roller brakes are unlikely to offer hydraulic brakes and most of the bikes with hydraulic brakes are not going to be available or suited to roller brakes.

Last edited:

AndrewE

Established Member
@Bletchleyite All about balance ;)
Quite fun actually (quiet cycleway permitting)
and the bike. Some have a near-vertical axis on the front fork steering and are very unstable, on others it is inclined enough that with the curve on the forks it just wants to keep going straight.
I have happy memories of a cycle touring holiday in the Netherlands where (on an off-road cycle path) we were able to sit upright, hold our jacket sides out with both hands and get the angle right to sail along for quite a distance.
That was the holiday where each time the wind changed (and it was quite strong) we took the train to the other end of the country and set off down-wind again.

DriverEight

As I truck driver, I'll share the thing that infuriates me about cyclists the most.

My truck is a 44 tonne artic. If I need to overtake a cyclist it takes much longer than it would in a car because the truck takes longer to pass the cyclist and the truck doesn't accelerate quickly. So overtaking has to be planned carefully, and sometimes I can sit behind a bike for some considerable distance waiting for my opportunity. So imagine my distain when I eventually get past him, get half a mile up the road, and I have to slow again for a traffic signal. The cyclist passes me on the inside, jumps the red light, and I have to start the whole process again.

SynthD

There are other ways a cyclist can get back ahead of you than jumping a light, for instance the advanced stop line and a quicker getaway.
What do you think of the new cabs with better visibility?

Bikeman78

Established Member
As I truck driver, I'll share the thing that infuriates me about cyclists the most.

My truck is a 44 tonne artic. If I need to overtake a cyclist it takes much longer than it would in a car because the truck takes longer to pass the cyclist and the truck doesn't accelerate quickly. So overtaking has to be planned carefully, and sometimes I can sit behind a bike for some considerable distance waiting for my opportunity. So imagine my distain when I eventually get past him, get half a mile up the road, and I have to slow again for a traffic signal. The cyclist passes me on the inside, jumps the red light, and I have to start the whole process again.
I take it you refer to driving out of town? Little point in overtaking a bike in a 30 mph urban area if it only means getting to the next red light sooner. I can cycle to work (about five miles) as quickly as I drive, doing it by the book in both cases.

DriverEight

I take it you refer to driving out of town? Little point in overtaking a bike in a 30 mph urban area if it only means getting to the next red light sooner. I can cycle to work (about five miles) as quickly as I drive, doing it by the book in both cases.
Getting to the next red light sooner means that it might be a green light. I understand that you may be able to drive to work as quick as you can cycle, but that's in a car. Nipper than my truck, and better acceleration. When driving a heavy vehicle, momentum is everything, every drop of speed has to be fought for and losing it is a body blow, especially if its through the inconsiderate actions of others.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Getting to the next red light sooner means that it might be a green light. I understand that you may be able to drive to work as quick as you can cycle, but that's in a car. Nipper than my truck, and better acceleration. When driving a heavy vehicle, momentum is everything, every drop of speed has to be fought for and losing it is a body blow, especially if its through the inconsiderate actions of others.
Fair enough, about half my ride is in a bus lane so I don't get in the way of lorries. I wouldn't bother to overtake a lorry at a red light for the reasons you describe, unless I could be sure of keeping out of the way, e.g. there's a bus lane or cycle lane beyond the junction.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I apologise on behalf of the majority of law-abiding cyclists, myself included, who don't run lights. I do have a question though.
If you overtake us, it is considered common courtesy in the trucking community to stay behind the truck until you reach a section of road where you can pull far ahead?

DriverEight

I apologise on behalf of the majority of law-abiding cyclists, myself included, who don't run lights. I do have a question though.
If you overtake us, it is considered common courtesy in the trucking community to stay behind the truck until you reach a section of road where you can pull far ahead?
I'm sorry, but I've read that 3 times, and I still can't find the question in it. Are you asking if a truck waiting to overtake another truck would wait behind it until he could pull far ahead? If so, the answer is no, he'd get past as soon as possible then pull ahead over time. In ideal circumstances, the truck being passed would back off once the manoeuvre had begun in order to make it easier for the overtaking truck to pass. Sadly, not all truck drivers have mastered the art of planning overtaking, which is why you end up with trucks sitting side by side for miles along dual-carriageways. That pisses me off as much as the people stuck behind them

Last edited:

SynthD

losing it is a body blow, especially if its through the inconsiderate actions of others.
That’s an inconsiderate thing to say when driving 44 tons around cyclists. They die because drivers don’t take the right action, often trying to get ahead or avoiding braking.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I've seen teenagers doing that with no hands on the bars. Which I have no idea how they manage - if I take both hands off I crash straight away! :)
Easy on a straight flat path, as long as there's no sidewinds or other path users. Clamp your legs to the frame, usually works.

I'm sorry, but I've read that 3 times, and I still can't find the question in it.
To simplify it, if you overtake us, do you want us to stay behind the truck till you turn off in some form?

DriverEight

Easy on a straight flat path, as long as there's no sidewinds or other path users. Clamp your legs to the frame, usually works.

To simplify it, if you overtake us, do you want us to stay behind the truck till you turn off in some form?
No, of course not. If you have a genuinely safe and legal opportunity to get past me and get well ahead, take it. Sadly, passing on the inside and running a red light (or nipping onto the pavement) when you know I'm just going to catch you and get stuck behind you isn't really a genuinely safe and legal opportunity to get well ahead. On semi urban and rural roads, your better acceleration will get you ahead of me, but I'm going to catch up with you eventually.

That’s an inconsiderate thing to say when driving 44 tons around cyclists. They die because drivers don’t take the right action, often trying to get ahead or avoiding braking.
They also die because the do stupid things around 44 tonne trucks, like passing on the inside, stopping in the blind spot in front of the truck or hanging onto the back for a tow. So many cyclists seem to think that every one on the road except them is responsible for their safety. Sadly, in my extensive experience, cyclists are amongst the most dangerous road users, simply because their behaviour puts themselves in so much danger. This is something of a generalisation, because more mature cyclists are better, and I think motorists that are also cyclists are better - that's why the cycling standards in London are so low. The cyclists there just don't understand traffic because they've never driven cars. On the other hand, standards of cycling tend to be lower in locations where the standard of driving is lower. London is appalling on both counts, Amsterdam is fabulous on both counts!

Last edited:

DriverEight

They can be, and quite often are, but that doesn't remove the responsibility on the cyclist to take care of themselves. I once saw a sticker on a truck in New York that said "cyclists, feel free to pass this truck on the inside - if you don't care whether you live or die, why should I?" Now, that's in very poor taste (even for New York) but it does sum up how many motorists feel about cyclists

AlastairFraser

Established Member
No, of course not. If you have a genuinely safe and legal opportunity to get past me and get well ahead, take it. Sadly, passing on the inside and running a red light (or nipping onto the pavement) when you know I'm just going to catch you and get stuck behind you isn't really a genuinely safe and legal opportunity to get well ahead. On semi urban and rural roads, your better acceleration will get you ahead of me, but I'm going to catch up with you eventually.

They also die because the do stupid things around 44 tonne trucks, like passing on the inside, stopping in the blind spot in front of the truck or hanging onto the back for a tow. So many cyclists seem to think that every one on the road except them is responsible for their safety. Sadly, in my extensive experience, cyclists are amongst the most dangerous road users, simply because their behaviour puts themselves in so much danger. This is something of a generalisation, because more mature cyclists are better, and I think motorists that are also cyclists are better - that's why the cycling standards in London are so low. The cyclists there just don't understand traffic because they've never driven cars. On the other hand, standards of cycling tend to be lower in locations where the standard of driving is lower. London is appalling on both counts, Amsterdam is fabulous on both counts!
Oh yeah, I want you to see me in your mirrors when I overtake,so wouldn't do that.

SynthD

That doesn’t account for the mass of cyclists who also drive. I imagine Lycra ‘louts’ likely drive, certainly more than average cyclists.

DriverEight

Oh yeah, I want you to see me in your mirrors when I overtake,so wouldn't do that.
That's absolutely the best thing to do. It's actually a frightening expirience for me too, seeing a cyclist then losing sight of him again is enough to make me stop, no matter where I am, until I pick him up again.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's absolutely the best thing to do. It's actually a frightening expirience for me too, seeing a cyclist then losing sight of him again is enough to make me stop, no matter where I am, until I pick him up again.

Definitely sounds like you're a sensible driver, the world needs more lorry drivers like you! The amount of overtaking I see on corners, in front of junctions, coming up to the crest of a hill and such like, where oncoming traffic cannot be seen...

I had a lorry go around me in town yesterday, rather lengthy trailer with a tractor on the deck. Really difficult to keep far enough back and still see their mirrors, but I managed. It meant I had to position on the road in a manner where two car drivers failed to understand logic and pulled right up alongside me, which was infuriating.

I do agree that a lot of cyclists do not ride responsibly, and your example of overtaking one to then have them undertake you along the side made my ears widen in shock. It should be common knowledge that you don't go along the side of a lorry, it's asking for trouble!

On behalf of all sensible cyclists, thank you for being one of the better lorry drivers! We're not all that bad!

SCH117X

Established Member
I have seen quoted that around 85% of cyclists are motorists; to say a lot of cyclists do not ride responsibly implies the same of a lot of motorists. A lot
of motorists seem totally unaware that cyclists are permitted by the Highway Code to ride two abreast. As far as I am aware when cycling I have never jumped a red; seen plenty of cars do it however. Should cyclists undertake ; depends on the road layout and if their is a marked cycle lane cyclists have the right of way in it regardless of what is happening on the other lanes the same that traffic in a straight on lane will undertake right turning traffic.

Ediswan

Established Member
Are those not named "North Road" shape after some road in London?
Indirectly. They are named after the North Road Cycling Club in Hertfordshire. The club is named after the Great North Road betwen London and Edinburgh.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Electric bikes seem to be a thing at the minute. Does anyone have experience or views?

I seem to be noticing many cyclists turning the pedals slower or faster than normal, usually they are E-cyclists.

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
I ebiked my hybrid with a TSDZ2 motor at the end of 2018. The office had moved to a higher elevation and although no further than the previous location the added climbing as opposed to a descent to end the ride off with was making for sweaty clothing after a pretty short but vertically U shaped ride. The ebiked hybrid then also found a role in shopping trips, again usually U vertically shaped and no way would have ridden up the hills home with a weighty rucksack and at time panniers by pedal power alone. Dramatic reduction in the use of the car.

Early 2020 and the ebiked hybrid bounced over a rough bit of road, which I am certain it had done before but this time the motor stopped working and was now out of guarantee. Followed all the available fault finding advice and concluded it was most properly the torque sensor that had failed; ordered a new one but when it turned up I could not get it to fit. Decided enough was enough and put the hybrid back to pedal power only and flogged bits off for not a lot on eBay. This was immediately before the original lockdown when bikes could be found cheap and I got hold of a new 2019 Giant Dutch Roadster type ebike at a price reduced by more than I spent on the biked hybrid. The very upright riding position is ideal for riding with heavy rucksacks.

A few weeks back I strained an achilles tendon and whilst riding my road bike at the time was not a good idea, I could use the ebike so it got a rare ride of some distance. I have read of others who have knee issues, for example, and have got an ebike as allows them to carry on cycling.

A common misunderstanding is that a legal ebike has the assist limited to 25km/h (15.5mph), and requires to be pedalled, but there is no limit on how fast the ebike can go; it simply will not provide any motorised assistance beyond 15.5mph,. There are illegal ebikes about which exceed that limit and the police are getting wise to them - an obvious indication of an illegal ebike is a motor of more than 250W. On a legal ebike it is good practice to ensure the motor data panel is clean and legible.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Electric bikes seem to be a thing at the minute. Does anyone have experience or views?

I seem to be noticing many cyclists turning the pedals slower or faster than normal, usually they are E-cyclists.

I quite enjoy overtaking them on my road bike, particularly going up hill :D

Bikeman78

Established Member
Over the past two years I've been timing my ride to and from work, a journey of about five miles. On my mountain bike I failed to break the 20 minute mark, the fastest being 20:10. Within days of getting a road bike I got under 20 minutes. In fact I usually manage just under 20 minutes for the 06:00 or 22:00 shift change over unless there is a strong headwind or a particularly bad run with the traffic lights. I've gradually beaten my previous records with the current fastest being 16:48. This was actually a westbound run. Most of the fastest have been eastbound.

If it's lashing down then I often drive. Fastest so far is 15:01 via a slightly longer route but with fewer lights and a 40 limit for part of the journey instead of 30 all the way. However, the times have been creeping up as more people are out and about. Last journey in for an early shift was 21:05. So cycling is definitely the better option for me. Much cheaper/healthier and not much slower.

PeterY

Established Member
I quite enjoy overtaking them on my road bike, particularly going up hill :D
I've had a few e bikes over take me, going up hill. The trouble is, if I got an e bike it'd make me lazy and defeat the reason why I can eat so much food :D :D :D and never put on a ounce.

SteveM70

Established Member
I’ve been out on my bike a lot lately, and it seems the number of drivers who turn left or right without indicating is increasing. When I learned to drive it was drilled into me to the point that I do it automatically. Maybe they teach differently these days

Status
Not open for further replies.