• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Czech Republic: 3 dead, many injured in a head-on collision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlington

The two passenger trains collided earlier this afternoon [Tue 7 July] at about 3.10pm in the Karlovy Vary region, near Pernink. About 30 people are understood to have been injured in the crash, including three fatalities. The accident took place on the line which connects Pernink village with the spa town of Karlovy Vary.
The crash happened in a location with difficult access for rescue services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oldman

According to a Czech news source, there are two fatal casualties and seven seriously injured. The trains should have crossed at Pernink. The driver of the southbound train, which should have waited, has been arrested. The signalling arrangement is type D3, which depends on the 'human factor'.

Inspector General Jan Kučera stated in ČT24 that it must have been either a dispatcher or a train driver who made a mistake. Alternatively, both. The accident was reported by one of the passengers, the track is not equipped with a security device that would indicate to the dispatcher that the train is somewhere where it should not be. "Everything is based on agreement (i.e. dispatcher/driver communication) on this track. You can't talk about technology here at all, "he said.
Google Translate

Which is the problem - no technology.

Re 4/4

Sad to hear this.

Technology probably would have helped here, but in Bad Aibling it was in place and yet the dispatcher still made an error and used the override when there was a train on the line. I'd say it's too early to definitely blame this one on a lack of technology.

Vespa

Established Member
Must be a branch line to have minimal technology, possibly a single line token.

Last time I travelled while interailling to Czechoslovakia in 1990, before the split, I observed there were up to date signalling systems for that time, not at all backward in spite of communist rule and poor investments.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Must be a branch line to have minimal technology, possibly a single line token.

Last time I travelled while interailling to Czechoslovakia in 1990, before the split, I observed there were up to date signalling systems for that time, not at all backward in spite of communist rule and poor investments.

It appears to be in use on a number of very minor branch lines looking at some Czech signalling information. Effectively there are no signals at all and movements are based on written or verbal authority.

I seem to recall there was a similar head-on in Italy a few years ago where movements between stations were based on agreements made by telephone

oldman

The Czech wikipedia page on the D3 has this section added in the last couple of days:

The very existence of lines operating according to the D3 regulation is the subject of controversy due to its very low level of safety, as especially when crossing trains in D3 stations, there are situations where everything depends on the driver's faultless conduct. Critics of the D3 regulation therefore demand either the repeal of this regulation and the entire use of the D3 regime on lines (as an alternative, the D4 regulation with the radio block regime is often mentioned), or at least the restriction of its use on lines with so little traffic that they do not cross. Criticism has intensified in the 21st century in connection with the railway accidents that occurred on the D3 lines during crossings. The Railway Inspectorate has repeatedly criticized the level of security on the D3 lines and called for its improvement.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sad to hear this.

Technology probably would have helped here, but in Bad Aibling it was in place and yet the dispatcher still made an error and used the override when there was a train on the line. I'd say it's too early to definitely blame this one on a lack of technology.

To be fair "technology" could just be "a bit of wood", i.e. a train staff.

Gostav

Another passenger trains collision on ČD happened just yesterday
Very lucky no people on train injury but a person on track died.

Below is the news from Deník.cz and l translated it https://www.denik.cz/nehody/praha-doprava-vlak-mhd-nehoda.html
A passenger train with an express train collided in Prague-Běchovice in the early evening on Friday. Several wagons were derailed, firefighters looking for the wounded. The accident happened in a place where traffic was restricted due to a train collision with a person. Traffic on the line between Libní and Běchovice was stopped for several hours. It was not completely restored until Saturday at three o'clock in the morning.
Firefighters also had to arrive and evacuate about 150 passengers in the first stage. At the scene of the accident, trains were up to 40 minutes late, some were not dispatched at all.

Traffic between the Libeň and Běchovice stations is stopped on Friday in the early evening. In the mentioned section, the Pendolino first knocked down a man who died on the spot, and the sets were led along only one of the three tracks. At the scene of the accident, an express train collided with a passenger train.
Due to traffic restrictions, two trains crashed and several wagons derailed, Prague firefighters reported on Twitter. Fortunately, according to them, the accident was not more serious.

Firefighters and an ambulance passed through wrecked trains, looking for any injured passengers. In the end, the train collision went unnoticed. "A special Atego car commutes at the RZP site, medical crew, inspector and for preventive reasons. There are now three people in our care who are not injured, but have had an acute stress response," the Prague ambulance said on its Twitter account.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Another passenger trains collision on ČD happened just yesterday
Very lucky no personal injury.
I doubt many of us understand Czech, but a Google translate of a news report online indicates
1. there was a low-speed side-swipe in the Prague suburbs between an empty EMU and a semi-fast headed in the same direction (but stationary?).
2. SLW was in operation following a person hit by a train (a CD Pendolino from pictures).

Perhaps Gostav could confirm that I've got it right?

oldman

There are some stills here, which I can't get to paste. Unsurprisingly, human error is blamed.

(An oddity of Czech railway practice is that they immediately announce to the media the cost of accidents - apparently this was more than 5M crowns, the head-on collision was 20M.)

PS. If there is a Czech speaker around, what is the 'so-called' posunovy dil that the reports mention.

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
There are some stills here, which I can't get to paste. Unsurprisingly, human error is blamed.

(An oddity of Czech railway practice is that they immediately announce to the media the cost of accidents - apparently this was more than 5M crowns, the head-on collision was 20M.)

PS. If there is a Czech speaker around, what is the 'so-called' posunovy dil that the reports mention.

A friend of mine is half Czech.

He says that "posunout" is to move and "dil" is a part- so offers up moving part(s)!

oldman

A friend of mine is half Czech.

He says that "posunout" is to move and "dil" is a part- so offers up moving part(s)!
Thanks. It looks like it might be something to do with shunting, but still a mystery.

Veteran Member

Veteran Member
There has been a further collision - this time an EMU ran into the back of a parcels train at Cesky Brod on the main line to Ostrava. The driver of the unit reportedly dead.

MarkyT

Established Member
To be fair "technology" could just be "a bit of wood", i.e. a train staff.
Humans still have to determine that the correct piece of wood or metal is handed over or shown to the driver and accepted for the movement concerned. Don't get me wrong - I'm a British signal engineer, and single line tokens of varying forms are 'in my DNA' so to speak, but they're certainly not entirely foolproof, as railway people and circumstances have conspired to prove occasionally.

On Moderation
Humans still have to determine that the correct piece of wood or metal is handed over or shown to the driver and accepted for the movement concerned. Don't get me wrong - I'm a British signal engineer, and single line tokens of varying forms are 'in my DNA' so to speak, but they're certainly not entirely foolproof, as railway people and circumstances have conspired to prove occasionally.
The classic example being the Abermule disaster, the accident report for which can be found here: http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=89

JonathanP

I stumbled across this on a Czech tabloid news site - another driver blaming the crash on the excessive length and complexity of the "late notices" issued by SZDC.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The classic example being the Abermule disaster, the accident report for which can be found here: http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=89
That one actually did have a lot of safeguards compared with just a "bit of wood", but they were still circumvented by a series of human errors, generally arising from sloppy working. However the number of serious accidents resulting from "token abuse" in the UK over 150 years or so can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.