• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

D&G Buy out BakerBus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y961 XBU

It says Nine Buses will transfer to D&G but not the Hybrids so i wonder what Buses will move over to D&G

http://www.route-one.net/industry/dg-buys-bakerbus/

Mel Holley said:
Bus services run under the BakerBus brand have been saved, after their purchase by Crewe-based Rolling Solutions Ltd, trading as D&G Bus.
Around 25 staff are expected to transfer, along with 17 routes (tendered and commercial) and nine buses.
The routes will be integrated into the existing D&G business, mostly at its new Longton, Stoke-on-Trent site, giving a total of 67 buses in the fleet across D&G’s two depots.
The future of BakerBus’s routes had been under question as the operation has been shrinking with service de-registrations for a number of months, including the firm’s flagship X1 (Hanley-Stoke-on-Trent-Stafford Beaconside).
The latter route saw three Volvo B5RLH/Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini 2 hybrids enter service on it in October 2011. Since the route was de-registered in the summer, the hybrids have been used on a variety of duties. They are not included in the sale...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

317 forever

Established Member
Even with this coup, Hanley will mainly have 3 operators First, Arriva-Wardle and D&G/Bakers.

BigVince76

Do the blue mini buses still run around there? I used to live in Newcastle and was always pleased when a 31 arrived at Stoke station before a First 25.

317 forever

Established Member
I realise that D&G will now have their own Crewe operation, South Lancs Transport in and around Leigh, and Bakerbus around Hanley. So, this would be an excellent takeover choice for Rotala, as it would fill the gap between Wolverhampton and Preston.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I realise that D&G will now have their own Crewe operation, South Lancs Transport in and around Leigh, and Bakerbus around Hanley. So, this would be an excellent takeover choice for Rotala, as it would fill the gap between Wolverhampton and Preston.

Why on earth would D & G want to sell out to Rotala ? What is the major benefit for Rotala in filling in a 'gap' between Wolverhampton and Preston ?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Are you claiming an "exclusive" news release here or is it just a generalised speculation? Have Rotala been recently active "behind the scenes", so to speak?

317 forever

Established Member
Are you claiming an "exclusive" news release here or is it just a generalised speculation? Have Rotala been recently active "behind the scenes", so to speak?

I admit to knowing of no such intention so yes it is speculation. However, about a year ago Rotala were in discussions with RBS for a loan facility, which could potentially provide funds for such a takeover. Indeed, if Rotala wish to expand, D&G would seem an ideal fit!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I admit to knowing of no such intention so yes it is speculation. However, about a year ago Rotala were in discussions with RBS for a loan facility, which could potentially provide funds for such a takeover. Indeed, if Rotala wish to expand, D&G would seem an ideal fit!

For Rotala to expand it would seem to also require D & G to be willing to sell, Given that they have only just expanded themselves I would think that very unlikely. If I was Rotala I'd spend any spare money on seeing if/where they may need to improve their existing operations.

winston270twm

Established Member
For Rotala to expand it would seem to also require D & G to be willing to sell, Given that they have only just expanded themselves I would think that very unlikely. If I was Rotala I'd spend any spare money on seeing if/where they may need to improve their existing operations.

Rotala have circa £10 Million of un-drawn bank facilities which they are intending to keep for acquisitions & share buybacks in the absence of acquisitions. Personally, they'd be better buying independents to bolt-on to / strengthen their existing operations in Bristol, West Midlands, Worcestershire & Preston.

pemma

Veteran Member
The buses which have transferred are 5 x Wright Streetlites (60 reg), 2 x Wright Streetlites (11 reg) a Wright Cadet (54 reg) and a Solo (58 reg.) They are all based at Longton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Rotala have circa £10 Million of un-drawn bank facilities which they are intending to keep for acquisitions & share buybacks in the absence of acquisitions. Personally, they'd be better buying independents to bolt-on to / strengthen their existing operations in Bristol, West Midlands, Worcestershire & Preston.

That being the case, the stated approach to RBS for a loan facility stated in an earlier post may well have been to do with a totally different matter.

winston270twm

Established Member
That being the case, the stated approach to RBS for a loan facility stated in an earlier post may well have been to do with a totally different matter.

No, exactly the same thing. Rotala's principle bankers are RBS. New banking facilities were agreed with RBS & announced 14th Nov (see RNS to Stock Exchange). It is from this they have circa £10 Million un-drawn credit facilitates for acquisitions
http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail/12139035.html

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Personally....I agree with you. Better to strengthen their existing businesses than buy into somewhere else.

The most laughable theory recently was the "Rotala could buy Western Greyhound" on account of their other operations being on the western half of the country...... :roll:

winston270twm

Established Member
Personally....I agree with you. Better to strengthen their existing businesses than buy into somewhere else.

The most laughable theory recently was the "Rotala could buy Western Greyhound" on account of their other operations being on the western half of the country...... :roll:

Simon Cursio started as MD of Wessex from this morning, it will be interesting to see if Wessex attempt to fight back against First pushing them out of parts of Bristol

pemma

Veteran Member
So the thread drifted from the purchase of a Staffordshire operator, to Rotala in the Midlands, to Rotola in the West Country, to First Bus in the West Country? I wonder what the next post will be - maybe on First's North America operations?

winston270twm

Established Member
What, a fight back - up against James Freeman !!

James Freeman has set the bar very high for himself, he's come from a council owned bus company that invested heavily & had little competition. First Bristol owned by a PLC may yet prove a bit more of a challenge, I very much doubt he will get all the resources he wants/needs. Bristol still operates its fair share of old relics, a far cry from what Reading operated.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
So the thread drifted from the purchase of a Staffordshire operator, to Rotala in the Midlands, to Rotola in the West Country, to First Bus in the West Country? I wonder what the next post will be - maybe on First's North America operations?

I totally agree with these sentiments. Some brief postings of clarifications on a raised matter were enough and there is no reason whatsoever to let the said matter then continue unchecked.

D & G is the company upon which this thread should be concentrating upon, noting the thread title.

pemma

Veteran Member
One of D&G Bus' was reportedly involved in a collision on the A50 this morning while running the 300 route. I have no idea which bus it was. A 57 reg Optare Solo M950SL without any damage was operating the 12:15 departure from Knutsford so presumably the bus involved in the collision was taken away with a replacement bus taking it's place.

317 forever

Established Member
D & G may want to extend their portfolio by mopping up other independents neat their current operations. Some examples could be Yourbus, Stotts or TLC.

martinsh

Established Member

Oh you mean like this photo I took last Saturday ?!
:lol::p

And to remain on topic - D & G have 5 Optare Versas ex Burnley & Pendle.

Attachments

• COLT8080.jpg
    COLT8080.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 28

martinsh

Established Member
According to the fleet list on their website D&G have 3 buses branded for Stoke services which are based at Crewe not Longton. Also apparently bus DX07 WFA is at a depot by itself.

D & G have confirmed that the Stoke liveried vehicles are actually based at Crewe ! I think the Leek vehicle is outstationed somewhere.

pemma

Veteran Member
D & G have confirmed that the Stoke liveried vehicles are actually based at Crewe ! I think the Leek vehicle is outstationed somewhere.

I wonder if over time D&G will move towards more consistent fleets.

Currently they have 16 Solos at Crewe (not including the SRs) and just 1 Solo at Longton. While they have 4 Wright Cadets at Crewe with 1 at Longton and 5 Enviro 200s at Longton and 1 at Crewe.

Status
Not open for further replies.