• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

D-SLRs without live view; how do you cope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
People such as Phoenix upgraded from a brave Fuji S5700 to a D-SLR that did not have live view.

I am asking you now, how do you cope without it?, what are your thoughts on being without it?.

Thanks, Fred.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
Easy. On my previous camera (Fuji s602) I used the view finder, on my current camera (Canon 20D) I also use the view finder.

Established Member
Easy. On my previous camera (Fuji s602) I used the view finder, on my current camera (Canon 20D) I also use the view finder.

But you can't actually see what your about to take the picture off with live settings, you have to guess through the viewfinder.

Or Have I just got something totally wrong here? :(

EE Type 3

Established Member
But you can't actually see what your about to take the picture off with live settings, you have to guess through the viewfinder.

I use the viewfinder. The photos come out just how I imagined they would. Am I missing something here? :???:

mumrar

Established Member
I read this twice to check it wasn't a hoax. Live view LCD as used to be the norm for ONLY digital compacts has existed since the late 1990s when we first got consumer digital, till the first live-view DSLRs of recent years.

The viewfinder through the lens of SLRs on the other hand has been in existence for absolutely ages in comparison, so the question reads quite oddly if you have used both methods. I have a live-view DSLR but it only gets used for shooting above head height or to check expected exposure brightness, otherwise it's a waste of space and I'll always use the viewfinder.

I'm only guessing, and not saying as a bad point, but are you under the age of 25 (I'm asking 5872)? It seems odd you would think live-view could ever be more preferential to a viewfinder

Craig

Established Member

I think you're getting confused with the way the viewfinder works on an SLR. It's not like a compact where the viewfinder is separate from the camera lens, so you get a slightly different view. On an SLR the viewfinder looks through the lens with the aid of a mirror (this moves out the way when you take the photo allowing the light to reach the sensor/film).

Have a look at this guide, it might make things clearer.
http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/live-view-lcd.html

theblackwatch

Established Member
Guess? You look through the viewfinder and see exactly what you're going to take. I thought you knew everything about digital SLRs from the reviews you've read?

I do find it amusing seeing people trying to look at a screen on the back of their camera to line up a shot, holding it at arms length because their eyesight isn't any good at close up! ;)

mbonwick

Established Member
I use the viewfinder. Always have done, probably always will do. Even with compacts I've always prefered the viewfinder - you can't see the LCD in bright light.

1D53

Established Member
I used to use liveview with my compact, now i'm using the viewfinder on my slr, makes me feel i'm learning photography again.

Last edited:

16CSVT2700

Established Member
I could never frame right with a live view LCD screen.
I've always used viewfinders on SLR and DSLR cameras I've used over the years, they are so much more easier to use.

Definition of DSLR: A digital camera in which the subject is viewed through the same lens as the picture is taken with.

Lesson over.

Established Member
I could never frame right with a live view LCD screen.
I've always used viewfinders on SLR and DSLR cameras I've used over the years, they are so much more easier to use.

Definition of DSLR: A digital camera in which the subject is viewed through the same lens as the picture is taken with.

Lesson over.

:lol:. Whens the test?.

I've now figured that getting a DSLR with live view isn't important.

GB

Established Member
About all its usefull for is for viewing the picture you have just taken, and even then theres no guarentee it will look the same on the computer as it does on the LCD screen.

The camera is also alot slower and uses alot more juice using the liveview then it is with the viewfinder.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I've just picked up a nice shiny Canon 40D which apparently features 'Live View' on the LCD, as yet I see no reason to stop using the viewfinder as that is how we all used to take pictures in the old days. I guess it may have some potential at Heathrow when reaching over big fences but I don't consider it to be a significant factor when I chose the 40D.

Matt

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Well my camera doubles up as a self defence weapon, I mean it's heavy enough to knock someone out if I swing it hard enough..
Big enough to fire grenades out too if need be..

EE Type 3

Established Member
Right ok, we have a camera that can take the picture, make breakfast, take you to the loacation, send the gen out, knock someone out and fire grenades.

So, who wants to make the call to Canon or Nikon? :lol:

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Right ok, we have a camera that can take the picture, make breakfast, take you to the loacation, send the gen out, knock someone out and fire grenades.

So, who wants to make the call to Canon or Nikon? :lol:

cannon30d.jpg

507 001

Established Member
hahaha i might actually buy a canon if they released that lol

@the original question- not hard really, look through the viewfinder, you know what for a so called DSLR expert you really should have known that shouldnt you?

i mean, your hardly living up to expectations if you have only ever used one, try three systems, (like me) and then people might consider using the "expert" word with you.

Established Member
I can now see what you lot were on about when using a viewfinder, its easy!. I was worrying over nothing. I have the live view on my SLR just incase I ever need it. But the Viewfinder is good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.