• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

D2138 Appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1K73

Mmm pointless....theres far more worthy causes out there than sprucing up a just another indescript shunter.....

David

Coxster

Established Member
40445 said:
Mmm pointless....theres far more worthy causes out there than sprucing up a just another indescript shunter.....
I'm sorry to be negative towards you, 40445, but have you ever thought that some people may actually like shunters?

1K73

I have, but having seen D2138 VERY recently, I can assure you its in absolutely no need of anything bar a polish!

David

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
David, we've dicussed this on UKTrainSim. Don't be a spoilsport, look at the loco up close and you'll see that paint is flaking off in all sorts of places, let alone rusting around the running plate!
If 'Mr Knowitall' says that it just needs a polish, then come up her and do so! Besides, you last came up about 3/4 months ago, and I don't call that recently! :?

As pointed out earlier, some people actually like shunters more than others, so if you don't want to make a donation, then don't, simple! You don't have to go on about it!

Coxster, you have a PM.

1K73

Nope, I was down early november, just didn't tell you for obvious reasons ;).

Plus, as I said, theres far more locos in worse condition than D2138, shouldn't they be more deserving of someones hard earned cash?

And also, if you want to make her look better, why not polish her yourself? Saves raising money, and a repaint, and it'll do wonders.

David

Aureol

Established Member
Not when you consider that she was last painted in the late '80s/early '90s. Cleaned her late October and green paint was just flaking off onto the rags!

I know, when you start an appeal or something, I'll come along and ruin it for you, see how you feel! <(

1K73

Not at all, as my appeal will be for something worth supportin' ;).

Seriously, theres many things out there that need far more attention than a shed pilot....this appeal seems little more than a "lets make a name for myself" statement rather than actually wanting to help a shunter. If the enthusiasms there, why not use it on something that truly needs it?

David

Aureol

Established Member
Ok David, I get your point, you don't want to donate, just stop posting pointless posts. You'd be amazed at how many people don't like you because you slag and p!ss them off so much!

Just leave yourself out of this, as it is YOUR fault that my thread on UKTrainSim was locked, me and dinmore were getting so annoyed with you slagging the appeal off that we both reported you to the mods.

I hope I've made my point! :?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Please don't bring an argument from elsewhere onto here.

At the end of the day you're both entitled to your opinions and we should all respect each others opinions. I think you'll be best off agreeing to disagree over this one.

In my own opinion, it is difficult to get people to donate to something unless it's extremely worthwhile (in the opinion of the donator), and also relevant to them. I believe you would be much better off doing something and asking people to sponsor you.

Rather than say "Can you donate to paint this loco?", it would be better to ask people to sponsor you to do something to restore a loco.

If you do something constructive and challenging you'll be far more likely for people to sponsor you than if you just ask for donations.

That's my opinion. :)

TheSlash

Established Member
You two need to settle your differences now or very soon as in fighting can do serious damage to even the biggest railways

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TheSlash said:
You two need to settle your differences now or very soon as in fighting can do serious damage to even the biggest railways
Agreed. Although, AIUI, it's not so much in-fighting but could be a Midland Railway vs East Lancashire Railway rival thing.

We're all on the same side here, and no-one from any preserved line should feel that they're in competition with any other preserved line, IMO.

That may not be the case, but it is how it comes across sometimes.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
It's historic rivalry, the MRB arnt very keen on the ELR or GCR, and the ELR & GCR are mates and arnt very keen on the MRB, dunno why, just another railway to me.

Either way dont detract from another appeal, each and every locomotive and carriage that has been preserved has been preserved with giving people enjoyment and showing just what the Railways used to be. If it's a Class 01, a Class 45, a Class 50 or even a Class 101, each deserves the same amount of support and funding as every other vehicle or locomotive does.

My personal opinion of telling people not to donate to something is rather stupid and single minded, the East Lancashire Railway may be bigger than the GCR and the MRB, but I've not seen evidence of us going around and telling people not to donate to other railways, this is preservation and we should be aiming to preserve not only locomotives owned, or based at our respective Railways, but those at other Railways. I for one would love to see 46441 back in steam again, and it would be superb to see D5705 running again, just the same as it will be great when 70013 and D5185 are running at the GCR, and the same goes out for 73129 when she visited the GCR for the Autumn Gala.

If we cant work together then Preserved Railways will slowly die, all the big preserved railways out there got where they are today by helping, and being helped by other railways, and if two volunteers from two railways cant get along then there's not much hope for the less well off railways if the same goes for other railways.

Aureol

Established Member
Jamie C. Steel said:
It's historic rivalry, the MRB arnt very keen on the ELR or GCR, and the ELR & GCR are mates and arnt very keen on the MRB.
:shock: Never knew that!
Visited the GCR 3 times now and still enjoy it as much as I did the first time I went. Last time on the Autumn Gala I was pleasantly surprised to see the Prairie Tank running! :)

1K73

It's historic rivalry, the MRB arnt very keen on the ELR or GCR, and the ELR & GCR are mates and arnt very keen on the MRB, dunno why, just another railway to me.

No offence, but what kind of bollocks is that? I let you know now the ELR and MRB have VERY good relations.....including the fact our Jinty is visiting them in 2006...

No slagging involved, just adding my opinion where its needed, you should be able to accept it Baggy. And if we're going down to personal insults, you be suprised how many despise you also....if you want names I can supply them ;)

David

bunnahabhain

Established Member
It was just what I have picked up from some ex-Midland Railway Guards, some of whom are very vocal.

TheSlash

Established Member
40445 said:

No offence, but what kind of bollocks is that? I let you know now the ELR and MRB have VERY good relations.....including the fact our Jinty is visiting them in 2006...

No slagging involved, just adding my opinion where its needed, you should be able to accept it Baggy. And if we're going down to personal insults, you be suprised how many despise you also....if you want names I can supply them ;)

David
I'm beginning to despise you actually, i keep reading negative comments, mainly about other peoples preservation efforts. When you get involved with an appeal, let us know so we can all make negative and dismissive comments in return ;)

Coxster

Established Member
TheSlash said:
When you get involved with an appeal, let us know so we can all make negative and dismissive comments in return ;)
Providing it isn't to do with the EKR's staff etc ;)

1K73

TheSlash said:
40445 said:

David
I'm beginning to despise you actually, i keep reading negative comments, mainly about other peoples preservation efforts.

Where? I challenge you to find another ;)

When you get involved with an appeal, let us know so we can all make negative and dismissive comments in return ;)

Already invlved in a VERY sucessful appeal. so feel free to 'make negative comments' to the D5705 lads ;)... as I said ( and you don't seem to understand ) i'm not slagging it off, just making my opinion known ;)

Oh and don't worry, the feeling is mutual ;)

What's that for? In return as a 'thankyou' for lending you lot the 9F or summit?

Apparently its to cover for 47327 until it returns in around May/Juneish.

I wouldn't call it lending them the 9F... They obviously left for pastures new because Butterley can't cater for a loco of that size...

btw i'm a member of many railways so I can't really take sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.