• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

D40 Bargain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
They're all part of the DSG Group, along with PC World for a start, Link (I think? - the mobile phone things)

BJMorley

I wouldn't mind a D40, but can someone tell me the difference between my 6.2mp Digital Compact Camera, to a 6mp DSLR?

BJMorley

hmm... I've actuallly noticed the prices on SLRs dropping quicker since august, also, with the tax cut, it will be a bit more :D
Brandon

1D53

Established Member
If you wait till Monday, the price MIGHT drop due to VAT being cut to 15%.

If you buy on Amazon you can redeem it already by using a voucher, an extra fiver by the looks of it.

Craig

Established Member
Entering LOWERVAT when you checkout should give you the discount now.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wouldn't mind a D40, but can someone tell me the difference between my 6.2mp Digital Compact Camera, to a 6mp DSLR?

It all depends what you want to do. If you just want to point and shoot and get decent photos, then a compact is probably best. If you want to experiment with the camera settings and have more control over the final image processing (by shooting in RAW) or want to upgrade in the future by buying more lenses etc, then an SLR is probably the way to go.

Established Member
Craig, your description describes what I am going to do in the perfect way :D.

Mike McCormac

The big differences for me between a 'compact' and a 'dslr' are:

1. When you press the shutter on a dslr, it fires. Now. No lag. For action shots (er, railways?) pretty essential. I'd love to carry a high spec 'compact' in my pocket to catch those shots you miss, but I haven't found one yet that fires 'now'. Unless of course somebody can put me right?

2. You can shoot RAW. The most forgiving way there is with digital. Every JPEG degenerates a little every time you press 'save'. RAWs don't. And much more importantly, the more you learn about post processing, the more RAWs you can rescue that were right offs when you shot them. I've been going through some shots I made in 2005 in China. And I've got about 10% more pictures out of the RAWs I shot at the time because I've learned more about extracting the most from them. Check out my blog at http://www.mikemccormac.co.uk/wordpress/ to see what I mean - check out the China stories.

And by the way, a D40 is a pretty cool bit of kit...

Best

Mike

EE Type 3

Established Member
The big differences for me between a 'compact' and a 'dslr' are:

1. When you press the shutter on a dslr, it fires. Now. No lag. For action shots (er, railways?) pretty essential. I'd love to carry a high spec 'compact' in my pocket to catch those shots you miss, but I haven't found one yet that fires 'now'. Unless of course somebody can put me right?

2. You can shoot RAW. The most forgiving way there is with digital. Every JPEG degenerates a little every time you press 'save'. RAWs don't. And much more importantly, the more you learn about post processing, the more RAWs you can rescue that were right offs when you shot them. I've been going through some shots I made in 2005 in China. And I've got about 10% more pictures out of the RAWs I shot at the time because I've learned more about extracting the most from them. Check out my blog at http://www.mikemccormac.co.uk/wordpress/ to see what I mean - check out the China stories.

And by the way, a D40 is a pretty cool bit of kit...

Best

Mike

Agree 110% with you there. Can't add anything to that really.

1D53

Established Member
Just ordered mine :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Amazon have knocked another tenner off today making it £215 with the new VAT cut.

Typicall I bought mine yesterday for £225!

Status
Not open for further replies.