• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

D400 (50050) Fund Press Release of Sale of Loco to Boden Rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
News from the D400 Fund based out of Yeovil. Another 50 to return to the mainline then.
D400 Fund Press Release

The D400 Fund, custodians of pioneer Class 50, D400 / 50050 Fearless are pleased to announce the sale of the locomotive to

Boden Rail Engineering Limited
50050 Fearless will move from its home, Yeovil Railway Centre to a new home at Washwood Heath before the end of February.

50050 was not for sale, but the chance to return the locomotive to the mainline to operate with 50007 and 50017 was too good an opportunity to turn down. Health issues surrounding some of those involved with 50050 and the ever present worry over potential copper theft also played a part in this decision.

Neil Boden commented "The loco is in a good condition which we can turn around to a high standard thanks to the efforts made so far."

50050 is nearing the end of a bodywork and radiator fan overhaul which has seen large amounts of new metal welded into the locomotive. The fan motor has been overhauled as have the control units, resistors and wiring.

Richard Thompson from the D400 Fund commented "I am so pleased by this sale. I look forward to seeing 50050 back on the mainline, also at galas and celebrating the classes 50th anniversary in 2017"

Spare parts bought by the D400 Fund will be included in the sale. Parts bought by members of the group will be donated to our friends with 50027 Lion. Any funds left will be donated to the 50027 group. Our spare CU1 currently on loan to 50008 will be donated to that locomotive

https://www.facebook.com/50050Fearless?fref=nf

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I can think of a few drivers that would need a 10 minute refresher and be able to drive them! :lol:

So there are still Drivers at FGW who were ex BR Western Region locomen? Are there also still any who were passed on class 42/52 etc.

alexl92

Established Member
Serious question: Aside from driver knowledge, if 4-6 Class 50s were available, what would stop them being used on that route?

Harbon 1

Mr Boden is going to be a very popular man.... :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Serious question: Aside from driver knowledge, if 4-6 Class 50s were available, what would stop them being used on that route?

They don't fit into Cornwall anymore. Apparently.

Although I guess it's a case of they just need re-clearing since it's been a while since they ventured that far. :)

455driver

Veteran Member
So there are still Drivers at FGW who were ex BR Western Region locomen? Are there also still any who were passed on class 42/52 etc.

Not sure on that one, there are a few drivers with pre-1976 footplate seniority so it is possible, although they might not have been Western men to start with.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Queue debates about class 50 reliability

They are also expensive to maintain.

Still bloody good locos though, I look forward to having one up Hemerdon on load 12! :lol:

455driver

Veteran Member
Just a minute, do you know something that your not telling us about?:D;)

I meant as a passenger, not me driving it unfortunately!
Of course if the opportunity arose for me to drive one? ;)

And no I dont know something, but it would be nice to go back to the Jumbo Trains of the early/mid 80s if only for one trip.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I meant as a passenger, not me driving it unfortunately!
Of course if the opportunity arose for me to drive one? ;)

And no I dont know something, but it would be nice to go back to the Jumbo Trains of the early/mid 80s if only for one trip.

Yep, I would definitely second that.

TQ

Off topic but I have absolutely no idea how much a preserved diesel loco is worth, are we talking tens of thousands or is it normally into six figures?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Off topic but I have absolutely no idea how much a preserved diesel loco is worth, are we talking tens of thousands or is it normally into six figures?

I would imagine it varies from loco to loco really, purely from a scrap value point of view you must be talking £25,000 minimum at a guess.

alexl92

Established Member
The Class 60s offered for sale by DBS last year were £200-300,000 each... Not preserved I know, but possibly indicative?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The Class 60s offered for sale by DBS last year were £200-300,000 each... Not preserved I know, but possibly indicative?

And that was the value of a locomotive that wasn't in operational condition! Probably the best part of £1m on top of that would then need to be spent per loco for restoration to service condition. Still only a fraction of the cost of purchasing from new though.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
It's great news to have D400 (50050) back where she belongs on the mainline.

Does anyone know what livery she's currently painted in and will Neil Boden give her a repaint?

GearJammer

Its basically patch painted BR blue, little remains of its BR large logo livery, no large logos/numbers left, some of the grey roof remains, it has D400 under the drivers window on (off the top of my head) number 1 end and 50050 under the second mans window.

It requires a full repaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.