• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Daft school rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Our school played football, but there were too many boys to create 11-player teams. I was slow at running, and clumsy at playing sport, so I regularly found myself in the leftovers reserves during the weekly "games period". Instead of finding us something useful to do, e.g. linesmen, the masters in charge just left us to "gossip" for the entire games period. Fortunately, one or two others were also interested in railways.

Unfortunately, the grammar school closed - merged with the nearby girls grammar school, then downgraded to a comprehensive.
The "temporary" wooden buidings were later destroyed by an arsonist, and the fine 17 acres of sports fields became a housing estate.

(It was not that I disliked sport, I just wasn't very good at football or "gym".)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
In Poland? It sounds very far removed from schools of today in the UK.

Overzealous
Power tripping
Inexperienced
Angry
Unable to control a class
SEN used as a cash cow
Inappropriate relationship with a pupil

Sounds like a UK school to me.

My old English Teacher is now a convicted paedophile.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks for responses, gentlemen. @Gloster: I kind-of feel that I could have been fairly accepting of sustaining honourable wounds -- but it seems to me mad, and unfair, that nobody did anything to teach me about the workings of the ritual in the course of which one got those wounds; and that I then got my head bitten off for not having realised that I ought to have, on my own initiative, gone to my schoolfellows for enlightenment about workings of said ritual (none of them had approached me, off their own bat, offering tuition).

Like you, @Busaholic -- I basically, got an "anomalous" place -- scholarship-y kind of thing, under local-government aegis; otherwise, my parents would not (I think) have dreamed in a million years, of sending me to a public school -- likely, couldn't have afforded it anyway.

@Busaholic: I readily admit that lifelong -- unusually for a British male -- I have detested, and taken absolutely no interest in, sport in any aspect of it whatever (am not anti- those who enjoy it: knock yourselves out, guys -- just don't try to involve me). Inferring from your post: you were basically -- if selectively -- on board with the whole business; for me, pretty much the entirety of it was, start to finish, "from hell". (A slot was found cricket-wise for "swot" me, in the later parts of my school time, by making me scorer: the actual cricket doings bored me to tears, but I got a bit of satisfaction from the score-book-keeping and bureaucratic neatness and orderliness connected therewith.)

In the main, almost all forced-on-me sport-type doings at school were for me, torture; but as this stuff was compulsory for everyone, irrespective of willingness: since it was a school, one could be forgiven for expecting that the victims would be taught about the refinements of the workings of rack and thumbscrew, and the optimum responses thereto, and kindred matters. Unless it's me who am off-beam here. Some of this stuff came up in conversation between me and my mother, a year or so after I'd started in the school's preparatory department (Dad had died a couple of years earlier -- before any question arose, of my attending that seat of learning: I suspect that had he lived, he might well have said "no way", and pulled the plug on the while thing). Mum was staggered at my admission that, basically, we had got no instruction in sports and how they worked -- her reaction was pretty much, "what sort of scuzzy pretence at being a school, is this place that we've landed up sending you to?" In the light of responses received here, I'm wondering -- perhaps on this, it's Mum who was living in cloud-cuckoo-land; maybe standard practice is and has been, for schools not to give formal instruction in sports and their rules -- pupils just left to flounder along and pick up (or not) "how it's done"?

Our school played football, but there were too many boys to create 11-player teams. I was slow at running, and clumsy at playing sport, so I regularly found myself in the leftovers reserves during the weekly "games period". Instead of finding us something useful to do, e.g. linesmen, the masters in charge just left us to "gossip" for the entire games period. Fortunately, one or two others were also interested in railways.

Unfortunately, the grammar school closed - merged with the nearby girls grammar school, then downgraded to a comprehensive.
The "temporary" wooden buidings were later destroyed by an arsonist, and the fine 17 acres of sports fields became a housing estate.

(It was not that I disliked sport, I just wasn't very good at football or "gym".)

Find self musing -- could it be that staff at all and any schools in which sport is, nominally, compulsory for all -- wish that in fact it could be optional: with those pupils who are interested and thus motivated to learn and co-operate, doing so; while the unwilling, who are a nuisance and impossible effectively to include or accommodate -- are taken out of the equation, and left to do what they like doing (even if that is nothing at all). In a similar way, I get the picture (not from any first-hand experience, thank heaven) that those in charge of armies, are in the main not very keen on peacetime "national service"-type conscription: because it tends to be that most of the "victims" thereof, are reluctant and resentful -- it's very much more productive to work with fewer recruits, who have joined up of their own free will, and are thus much likelier to be keen and co-operative, or at the worst, accepting of the consequences of their choice.

Last edited:

joebassman

At my primary school I remember a male teacher I had when I was about 5 or 6 used to tell kids off for licking their finger and trying to rub a mistake out.

I remember I once dribbled on something I had written and then tried to wipe it off. The teacher accused me of licking my finger and trying to rub it out but I was too embarressed to tell the truth.

I ended up getting a right dressing down and being shouted at.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
In Poland? It sounds very far removed from schools of today in the UK.
Unfortunately, yes. Teaching here has been devalued so badly that teachers are now sometimes paid less than janitors or school administration staff.

The negative selection that happens as a result leads to this kind of nonsense. The complete and utter lack of interest in things such as safeguarding is frightening, too.

PeterC

Established Member
The experiences of school sports remind me of own. No teaching was given in either football or cricket, you were expected to arrive at age 11 fully skilled in both. A fact never communicated to the netball playing ladies who taught us at junior school.

Bayum

Established Member
Unfortunately, yes. Teaching here has been devalued so badly that teachers are now sometimes paid less than janitors or school administration staff.
I wouldn’t count on it being valued much better by the UK either…

TravelDream

The experiences of school sports remind me of own. No teaching was given in either football or cricket, you were expected to arrive at age 11 fully skilled in both. A fact never communicated to the netball playing ladies who taught us at junior school.

It seems to be the same at a lot of schools. Our PE and games lessons (never did work out the difference between the two) mainly involved us being sent out onto the field/ yard with a bag of balls whilst the teachers stood huddled chatting. The only action they'd take was to blow their whistle/ shout if they thought someone wasn't paying attention or doing enough.
We never did any sort of skill work like I did when I played with my local football club. There was a PE classroom, but it was only used for GCSE PE lessons I think.

Around three quarters of our PE/ games lessons consisted of this. Other things would be indoor gym stuff, rounders and the semesterly cross-county run (urgh). Instruction was lacking in all of them.

I know of a teacher is Warsaw who left her job to drive buses as her father did.

Why? Her salary more than doubled overnight.

I didn't quite believe her when she told me.

However, it appears to be true. The careers site says the average first year salary is 5700 Zloty (£1050) per month. She told me her teaching salary was 2800 (£510) Zloty per month.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
One of the main reasons why rugby became so popular at public schools (at least to some), is that the schools are full of thirteen to eighteen year-old boys, whose natural instincts (in most cases) are just turning towards an interest in the opposite sex. Both for legal and reputational reasons a school wishes to stop such ‘unhealthy obsessions’, so team sports to tire the little blanks out so they are too exhausted to do anything is a simple solution. Rugby (Union, of course, not that ghastly (shudder) League) has the advantage that one master with a whistle can tire out thirty pupils.

I don’t know so much about girls’ schools (they rumbled me on the first night when I stood up at the toilet and I ran. How I ran...), but I believe the worry used to be that some girls might become too interested in other girls. What was, I believe, called a ‘pash’.

Calthrop

Established Member
As a friend of mine -- notoriously unlucky as regards getting anywhere with the opposite sex -- was heard to remark, "If only we were a species that reproduced asexually". A sentiment echoed, I suspect, by many generations of teachers at schools for either gender, or for both at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.