• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Daggerboards & Bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellhouse

So, a chum of mine is building a Dutch Barn, and plans to put a Fascia on the awning made with daggerboards as found on traditional station platforms.

This has prompted a cunning plan for a post lockdown research tour for a day or two, calling at stations with relevant Daggerboards, ideally with good pubs on the station or nearby. Sheffield. Nottingham and Worksop all qualify, but I'd welcome further suggestions so I can plan our itinerary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wellhouse

There's plenty of reference material online, thanks.

The idea is to actually enjoy some post lockdown travel. We're setting out from Huddersfield, but could take in an overnight stop somewhere, so it might be a couple of days meandering around the North and Midlands, or it could be a linear trip further away, perhaps even including Wales or Scotland.

D6130

Established Member
Within easy reach of Huddersfield, both Dewsbury and Stalybridge have excellent station bars and some daggerboarding on the Down platform canopies.
York also has a fine station bar and daggerboards on some of the bay platform canopies, as well as on the Scarborough platform.

D6130

Established Member
perhaps even including Wales or Scotland.
If you do make it to Scotland, Aviemore station has beautifully-daggerboarded canopies and a good real ale bar (The Winking Owl) just five minutes walk away. Make it a circuit via Inverness and you could also pay a visit to Aberdeen where, after admiring the canopies and daggerboards there, you could repair to one of three or four excellent real ale pubs within a five-seven minute walk from the station.

Edit: I've just been told that there is now a fairly new restaurant and bar on Platform 1 at Aviemore called 'The Highland Line', which apparently does a very nice lunch and a good selection of local beers and whiskies.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
Edit: I've just been told that there is now a fairly new restaurant and bar on Platform 1 at Aviemore called 'The Highland Line', which apparently does a very nice lunch and a good selection of local beers and whiskies.
That featured on a TV programme recently (can't remember which series / channel).

IIRC a local lady took over what had been an Australian themed bar, and revamped it featuring produce from local suppliers. She's also now connected with the line's user / friends group.

noddingdonkey

Within easy reach of Huddersfield, both Dewsbury and Stalybridge have excellent station bars and some daggerboarding on the Down platform canopies.
The bar at Stalybridge hasn't reopened yet, gather that they are waiting for better weather due to the lack of shelter. Dewsbury's pub (run by the same firm) is open.

D6130

Established Member
At the risk of going OT, if you ever have the chance to visit North-Western Italy, Acqui Terme station has some fabulous nineteenth century cast iron daggerboarded canopies.....and a pleasant little bar which serves fantastic coffee (as you would expect in Italy!).

Returning to colder climes, a recent post on the 'Guess the Station' thread reminds me that Kyle of Lochalsh has beautifully intricate daggerboards and a very cosy cafe-bar in the station building.

Last edited:

Halifaxlad

Established Member
If you're visiting Huddersfield you might as well make a short trip over the hill to Halifax that has a large L&Y canopy over the island platform with dagger boards, you can also view the replicated dagger boards on the disused platform 3 opposite. Also Hebden bridge has a much more plainer/modern design not far from Halifax on the way to Manchester Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.