• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Daily Express Front Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferret

Established Member
Anyone seen today's Daily Distress?! On the front page is a headline about an EU plot to abolish Britain! I know there are legitimate issues with our current relationship with various European bodies, but is there any chance of some kind of reasoned debate and coverage?! FFS.......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
And that is why we can never have a proper debate on EU membership as long a as crap like that is published.

The sad thing is some people will believe it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Ferret

Established Member
And that is why we can never have a proper debate on EU membership as long a as crap like that is published.

The sad thing is some people will believe it.

Agreed. I haven't read the article, merely caught a glimpse of the front page while I was checking tickets. It mentioned something about a 'shadowy Berlin Group' or something! I'm dying to read the whole article but alas I still have some work to do for the next half hour. Hilarious!

starrymarkb

Established Member
They ran an article a while ago about The EU merging Kent and Nord-Pas De Calais. What it actually referred to was the councils working together as neighbours. Something they were doing on their own initiative with nothing to do with the EU... Needless to say the Express refused to print a correction!

http://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/blog/index_en.htm gives some of the truth behind. Often the first the EU knows about these "schemes" and "plots" is when they read them in the paper!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ahh always got a few minutes for the Daily Express myself as it never fails to make me chuckle.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I've read the article. They seem to have made the leap from small rumours that Barroso and Van Rompuy might have their jobs merged to the EU trying to abolish Britain.

I couldn't help but laugh at one of the comments:
The intention to scrap our country is an act of war.

All Europeans are now enemies and should be thrown out of Britain immediately.

Buying European produce is an act if treason.

Out government might5 (sic) not have the guts to declare war but it is time the British people did.

Demand to know where produce is from. If you see continental produce in your supermarket, dont (sic) buy it.

Tear down the EU swastika wherever you see it.

I think his IQ might be in single figures...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Are there really such stupid people around who would believe such preposterous nonsense. Does anyone really believe any of the political parties who were in power in Britain would accept such an ultimation from any political body in power in Europe?...:shock:

Would this be a story to distract the attention of certain Conservative-type voters (Offended of Orpington) of the John Redwood - type, from the results of the Local Government elections ?

tbtc

Veteran Member
Are there really such stupid people around who would believe such preposterous nonsense

The sales of the Daily Express suggest that there must be enough people who buy into a weekly dose of:

• Diana Conspiracy
  • Extreme Weather
  • Madeline McCann Conspiracy
  • European Hysteria
  • Political Correctness Gone Mad
...etc

Credit to the Daily Mail, at least it manages to look sensible whilst spouting its agenda - the Express clearly have no shame.

Ferret

Established Member
Are there really such stupid people around who would believe such preposterous nonsense. Does anyone really believe any of the political parties who were in power in Britain would accept such an ultimation from any political body in power in Europe?...:shock:

Would this be a story to distract the attention of certain Conservative-type voters (Offended of Orpington) of the John Redwood - type, from the results of the Local Government elections ?

I suspect there are! I've managed to load the website on my Blackberry while I was on a PNB earlier and read the whole article. I did eventually compose myself enough to go and do my job again, but it took a while. What a load of guff!

Butts

Veteran Member
The sales of the Daily Express suggest that there must be enough people who buy into a weekly dose of:

• Diana Conspiracy
  • Extreme Weather
  • European Hysteria
...etc

Credit to the Daily Mail, at least it manages to look sensible whilst spouting its agenda - the Express clearly have no shame.

Beaverbrook must be turning in his grave....

Once Britains best selling newspaper is reduced to this, seems to be aping its Star stablemate - probably full of:p adverts for Channel Five as well

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It has been said amongst respected financial experts that the advertisement revenue that is required to allow the continuation of the national newspapers is gradually moving in the direction of the internet-based organisations.

This is why you will see such desperation for attention-grabbing as described in the posting on the first thread being carried out by any of the national newspapers, as an aid to keep their circulation figures as high as possible.

Badger

This is how we end up with political parties aimed at one single international change, voted into seats on local councils. -.-

What's next, new research reveals a 1996 EU plot to abolish Princess Diana?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
This is how we end up with political parties aimed at one single international change, voted into seats on local councils. -.-

But who have quite substantial plans for after that one big change, which you could argue makes them stand out totally against Labour / the Tories / the Lib Dems.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I suspect there are! I've managed to load the website on my Blackberry while I was on a PNB earlier and read the whole article. I did eventually compose myself enough to go and do my job again, but it took a while. What a load of guff!

Perhaps the main "political stories" printed in future in the Daily Express should be forced to carry a "Government Health Warning" to warn the readers of the dangers to their blood pressure when reading these "stories"...<(

Simon11

Established Member

• Diana Conspiracy
  • Extreme Weather
  • European Hysteria
...etc

You missed*

*wonder drug may cure cancer!
*anything with kate
*if they look for a general picture ie sunny brighton they either pick a pretty young girl or a few kids. The paper fights for equal,being decent buts sort of like the sun with the nature of their pictures..

WestCoast

Established Member
I am surprised they haven't yet found a connection between Diana and the EU..:roll:

There is very little reasoned debate about the European political institution with the Express, it has always been about sensationalist nonsense. Even the Mail is marginally better at coming up with legitimate criticism (some of the time anyway).

Of course, churning out rubbish is more appealing to certain papers and many of the target readers are only too happy to believe it!

Anyone seen today's Daily Distress?! On the front page is a headline about an EU plot to abolish Britain! I know there are legitimate issues with our current relationship with various European bodies, but is there any chance of some kind of reasoned debate and coverage?! FFS.......

Reasoned debate and coverage............from the Daily Express?????:lol::lol: Not in this millenium:lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Of course, churning out rubbish is more appealing to certain papers and many of the target readers are only too happy to believe it!

I remember once finding two of the "redtops", abandoned by their reader, when a programme called "Big Brother" (at least is that what I think it was called) which seemed to be a television programme of sorts, which had been broadcast. Both of these two "newspapers" appeared to include between five or six pages each, which were dedicated to this one television programme, with what appeared to be nothing but information on all of these people who had taken part in this programme.

What I found hard to believe was that there were many national and international stories worthy of in-depth reporting at that time, which received no coverage whatsoever in either of these publications.

So I totally agree with what you say about "rubbish" being "churned out" to a target audience of a very limited understanding of news as would be understood by anyone with a modicum of intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.