• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dale End Lane - OO gauge Terminus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Me too!
How’s your railway getting on @Iskra? Have you got any further with it recently?

Hopefully it will not be too long to wait before the railway is semi-normal again and I can head down to GWR land.

I've amassed a lot of stuff for it, but the baseboards were delayed from the supplier. I'm expecting them in the next 4 weeks, then I can solidify the track plan, finalise it and crack on. I've been back working for 7 weeks now and football is encroaching on the summer which is when I normally get stuff done. Once I've finalised my track plan, the plan is to individually weather certain bits of track- less used bits will be rustier, bits where steam engines linger may be blacker, which is all going to take time. I've secured some ballast that I believe to be suitably Scottish too at a decent price.

The rolling stock fleet is pretty much where it needs to be though, so that's good and I should be able to operate a decent variety of services.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hopefully it will not be too long to wait before the railway is semi-normal again and I can head down to GWR land.

I've amassed a lot of stuff for it, but the baseboards were delayed from the supplier. I'm expecting them in the next 4 weeks, then I can solidify the track plan, finalise it and crack on. I've been back working for 7 weeks now and football is encroaching on the summer which is when I normally get stuff done. Once I've finalised my track plan, the plan is to individually weather certain bits of track- less used bits will be rustier, bits where steam engines linger may be blacker, which is all going to take time. I've secured some ballast that I believe to be suitably Scottish too at a decent price.

The rolling stock fleet is pretty much where it needs to be though, so that's good and I should be able to operate a decent variety of services.
Good stuff. I’m looking forward to seeing how it comes together as I really liked your plans.
So has the ballast got that slightly purple colour to it?

Iskra

Established Member
Good stuff. I’m looking forward to seeing how it comes together as I really liked your plans.
So has the ballast got that slightly purple colour to it?

Thank you, I'm hoping I can squeeze an engine shed in as per your suggestion.

It's granite-based ballast, so not the orangey stuff you would find on the WHL; it's more Central and Eastern Scotland looking (or it should be). Again, I will be trying to add some real coal to the areas where steam engines would linger and the shed area will be blacker.

Established Member
Love it. Plenty of GWR livery on show which I very much approve of. ;)
The GWR green certainly looks the part and I do prefer it to the FGW blue.
I love the way you run your railway to be really realistic. Something I want to implement on my layout at some point :)
I've also seen a Hornby (RailRoad quality) GWR HST on eBay for quite a reasonable price, and although it's not as detailed as your HST, seeing your pictures makes me want to go for it even more!

-Peter
Thank you. Following almost real timetable can give some interesting changes such as at the moment having the 153s stood down and some GWR sets not being used as much. I even tried to do a mini long rock open day last year with my stock.
Go for what you want. While the full fat HST is very good I'm sure the other one is just as good. 43002 and 43185 that I have are on the lima bodies and fit in very well. I'm sure that the coaches that you get in the railroad set are the same as the main models?
Very nice! Almost makes we want to do a trip to Penzance on the beds...
Thank you. The sleeper is definitely worth it. More so since the refurbishment.

Peter Kelford

I'm sure that the coaches that you get in the railroad set are the same as the main models?
Apart from livery and sliding doors, I do believe so.

I do wonder why I never have been able to achieve something so good and actually working.

Established Member
Apart from livery and sliding doors, I do believe so.

I do wonder why I never have been able to achieve something so good and actually working.
I am on about the slam door models in GWR green in which a 3rd set of them came out at the start of the year.

What parts are you struggling to achieve on you layout?

Peter C

Established Member
Thank you. Following almost real timetable can give some interesting changes such as at the moment having the 153s stood down and some GWR sets not being used as much. I even tried to do a mini long rock open day last year with my stock.
Go for what you want. While the full fat HST is very good I'm sure the other one is just as good. 43002 and 43185 that I have are on the lima bodies and fit in very well. I'm sure that the coaches that you get in the railroad set are the same as the main models?
I tried to base a timetable off of Oxford but I got confused after making a few services, so I think I need to wait for the layout to be finished in terms of trackwork before trying again. A good layout diagram would also help. :)
I think the coach from the train set is of the shorter design, but I'm not sure. The models I saw come from the train set I think (I'm not sure though) so I'll look into it again.

-Peter

Established Member
I tried to base a timetable off of Oxford but I got confused after making a few services, so I think I need to wait for the layout to be finished in terms of trackwork before trying again. A good layout diagram would also help. :)
I think the coach from the train set is of the shorter design, but I'm not sure. The models I saw come from the train set I think (I'm not sure though) so I'll look into it again.

-Peter
If you know what the track wail be like then the timetable could be achieved. I normally split the services out and then concentrate on the longer trains for platforming first. for Oxford you could break it down into cross country, chiltern, gwr London - Cotswolds (hss) and gwr local (didcot ect).
Just had a look at a image of the set on Olivia trains and it looks like the coach is off the full length model.

Peter C

Established Member
If you know what the track wail be like then the timetable could be achieved. I normally split the services out and then concentrate on the longer trains for platforming first. for Oxford you could break it down into cross country, chiltern, gwr London - Cotswolds (hss) and gwr local (didcot ect).
Just had a look at a image of the set on Olivia trains and it looks like the coach is off the full length model.
I've got an idea of what the end trackplan will be like - it's just there are quite a few things which are yet to be finalised.
I'll have another go at making a timetable using that technique - for the different services, I've got a fairly good idea of the stock I want to get and so I can plan it around that. :)
That sounds good re: GWR coach; hopefully it'll look good with my other two! :D

-Peter

Established Member
Identifying the 'right' idea then sticking to it. Something that is neither over-complicated nor over-simplified for a start.
ok. Think about what you want on the layout ie Station (how big) or sidings (how many)and what stock you have. Also take a look at YouTube at some layouts on there for inspiration. Another idea is to look at real diagrams (mostly available on here https://raildar.co.uk/map/MKC) which could also potentially give you some inspiration.

Established Member
Welcome back Cross Country!
IMG_20200711_094209.jpg

Added the fuel point today in the carriage sidings. It is designed for both units and HST's power cars hence one at the bottom of the sidings and another half way up.
IMG_20200711_183111.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
Looking good! :D
I've been looking for a Voyager for quite a while now. Are they any good?
That fuelling point looks good - I like the idea of that section being the carriage sidings. Oxford has some quite comprehensive carriage sidings as well, if you need inspiration for anything.

-Peter

Established Member
Thank you :)
The voyagers are very good for a 10-15? year model. They have quite a bit of detail especially on the roof. As they are a older model the motor is quite noisy compared to the likes of newer models. My 220 is a better runner than the 221 but that might be because the 221 doesn't like tight corners as much which is probably down to the tilting. I got both of mine (one 220 and 221) off ebay for around £200. When I look the Virgin versions seem to be the most common but occasionally a Cross Country one might appear.

I'll take a look at Oxford for some inspiration as well as other carriage soundings around the network. I'm not sure where the sidings are in Oxford.

Peter C

Established Member
You're very welcome :)
I've got a few models which are pushing 30-40-50 years old and so I think a loud motor wouldn't be too bad. So does the 221 model have tilting? That's cool - I imagine it would look good going around the bends on my layout. I've definitely seen more Virgin ones than XC, but I'm waiting for an XC one because they go through Banbury and I've been around them countless times.

There are technically two sets of carriage sidings at Oxford - the Down Carriage Sidings, on the left hand side of the running lines as you leave Oxford for Banbury, and then the Up Carriage Sidings, on the right hand side on the way to Banbury. I know the Up Carriage Sidings have full hard-standing and short lights, but I think the Down Carriage Sidings have fewer mod-cons, being just some sidings essentially :)

-Peter

Established Member
Yes the 221 tilts when going round bends just like the Hornby 390. Hopefully the picture below shows it in action. I too have been on the voyager family countless times with virgin and XC. I even got one from Derby direct to Chippenham for work around 18 months ago when they were diverted via Swindon and a stop order was added due to no GWR services.

ok thank you. The number of times that I have been through Oxford and have never really noticed them. Looking at google maps I think im am going to be more like the up sidings with the hard standings which will eventually be between every other row and a platform that is provided for the sleeper daytime cleaning. I am thinking about some sort of lighting (probably wont be functional) as most sidings seem to have some sort weather its single columns or over head gantries.
IMG_20200712_110853.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
Ah - cool! :) I've also been looking a various Pendolinos, including a Dapol one, which I know isn't the best apparently, but there's some for quite reasonable prices in some places.
You're very welcome - I've been through there countless times and most of the time there's a few 166s sat there. The Didcot-Oxford services go into the Down Carriage Sidings every time they get back to Oxford to join the others as well if that's of any use. :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s really coming along well now.
In the photo showing the carriage sidings where does the mainline head off too?

Established Member
Ah - cool! :) I've also been looking a various Pendolinos, including a Dapol one, which I know isn't the best apparently, but there's some for quite reasonable prices in some places.
You're very welcome - I've been through there countless times and most of the time there's a few 166s sat there. The Didcot-Oxford services go into the Down Carriage Sidings every time they get back to Oxford to join the others as well if that's of any use. :)

-Peter
I had a Hornby 390 once and they are now doing a Avanti one coming out later this year.
Normally the carriage sidings in the day will have just the sleeper and the fuel tanker train with the depot having the 08 and 57 along with the units. Although sometimes I find that the unit or loco is berried at the depot behind something so I shunt to the sidings is required.

It’s really coming along well now.
In the photo showing the carriage sidings where does the mainline head off too?
Thank you. It heads off behind the board's that are alongside the sleeper eventually this will become some sort of backscene like a rockface or something. The mainlines then appear where the start of a bridge is at the top of the picture.

Peter C

Established Member
I saw the Avanti 390 - nice livery but terrible prices.
Sounds cool re:Carriage Sidings. I've got space for one or two on my layout now so I've also been looking at Oxford for inspiration :D

-Peter

Established Member
I saw the Avanti 390 - nice livery but terrible prices.
Sounds cool re:Carriage Sidings. I've got space for one or two on my layout now so I've also been looking at Oxford for inspiration :D

-Peter
Just looking at rails of Sheffield and the individual coaches at £40 is not to bad I would say. I have always found the coaches to be a little more expensive than the Mk3's. Not to sure about the 4 car pack.
Best thing to do is put as many sidings down as possible. You will find a way to fill them. :lol:

Peter C

Established Member
Just looking at rails of Sheffield and the individual coaches at £40 is not to bad I would say. I have always found the coaches to be a little more expensive than the Mk3's. Not to sure about the 4 car pack.
Best thing to do is put as many sidings down as possible. You will find a way to fill them. :lol:
I was looking at the 4-car set on Hornby's site - £200 odd IIRC. :) Rails is always brilliant though for prices and that's good. They also have GWR Mk3s on offer (<£30) IIRC.
I've already got two sidings (three depending how you count them) - I've got plans for many more as part of the railway centre :D

-Peter

Established Member
I was looking at the 4-car set on Hornby's site - £200 odd IIRC. :) Rails is always brilliant though for prices and that's good. They also have GWR Mk3s on offer (<£30) IIRC.
I've already got two sidings (three depending how you count them) - I've got plans for many more as part of the railway centre :D

-Peter
Rails are certainly very good. Literally where most of my stock comes from. :) I think I have enough MK3's for now (32 of them!).

Peter C

Established Member
Rails are certainly very good. Literally where most of my stock comes from. :) I think I have enough MK3's for now (32 of them!).
Woah - 32 Mk3s?! I've got 4 - just need two GWR powercars and I could make a sort-of Castle set...

-Peter

Established Member
Woah - 32 Mk3s?! I've got 4 - just need two GWR powercars and I could make a sort-of Castle set...

-Peter
Yep 7 EMT, 7 XC and 18 GWR and 1 FGW that I forgot. Always have had a load of Mk3's. Power cars now are commonly sell for around £230-260 for the 'full fat' version. By the looks of things the lima GWR pack is selling at around £100.

Peter C

Established Member
Yep 7 EMT, 7 XC and 18 GWR and 1 FGW that I forgot. Always have had a load of Mk3's. Power cars now are commonly sell for around £230-260 for the 'full fat' version. By the looks of things the lima GWR pack is selling at around £100.
That's quite the collection! :D Something like what I want to get in the future.

-Peter

Established Member
East Midlands layout...IMG_20200725_190657.jpg
Or Western region... Got the XC powercars today. Any idea why the exhaust deflector is not present on the XC powercars?
IMG_20200725_190641.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
I like the fleet you've got - gives plenty of operational flexibility and interest when watching trains going about.
The XC powercar has got me interested - looking on Google, the real things have an exhaust deflector, and at least one iteration of the Hornby model had them (see here). But why your version doesn't have it, I don't know. It looks as though there might be a slight "bump", for want of a better word, where the exhaust deflector should be - whether that is supposed to be the deflector or not, again - I'm not too sure. I suppose if you wanted, you could always make one from some sort of card or maybe there's a kit you can get to add one on?

Seeing your collection makes me look more and more at some of the (second-hand) models I've found online recently... :) Particularly the Voyager!

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.