• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dale End Lane - OO gauge Terminus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice. I had a couple of Bachmann 08s for a while and they were excellent models.
Unfortunately I’m not able to do the advent calendar thing as I’d have run out of locos by Sunday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Nice. I had a couple of Bachmann 08s for a while and they were excellent models.
Unfortunately I’m not able to do the advent calendar thing as I’d have run out of locos by Sunday.
Thanks and yeah I don't have 24 locos so I've decided to do one every other day to spread it out. You could probably do one on a few days running up to Christmas.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks and yeah I don't have 24 locos so I've decided to do one every other day to spread it out. You could probably do one on a few days running up to Christmas.
I might well do that. ;)

reddragon

Established Member

I'll need to set up my own layout thread as crashing Peters isn't a good idea. Maybe next year! I have enough locos though despite 2 more DC only departures yesterday

Established Member
I'll need to set up my own layout thread as crashing Peters isn't a good idea. Maybe next year! I have enough locos though despite 2 more DC only departures yesterday
All my locos are DC.

Dale end lane advent calendar loco 2:
Today's is two units and that is 153374 and 153379 from Hornby. Both are East Midlands Trains branded with the latter still in the Central trains green. They are great models (even if one is missing a snowplough) and have a lot of detailing including the rivets along the bodyside. 374 is still going strong after buying it around 10 years ago when it first came out.IMG_20201204_183742.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
Day 3

All my Diesel shunters have to go, again as not suited to DCC conversion including a wonderful collection of Wrenn 08s. I just have LMS 7124 to sell.

I have no Type 1s so lets do my types 2s next!

View attachment 86767

An elderly Hornby Class 25, with twin motors, DCC & lights. I also have a second (no pic) converted into a class 24 but with 1 motor as second wasn't capable of DCC conversion!

Day 4

I once had 3 class 31s. Peter has one, another I sold as again not DCC suited

View attachment 86768

A sturdy Lima loco - easy to convert if you can solder, ideal for my son to drive!
The one I've got is in a lovely Railfreight livery and I'm currently waiting for some free time to spend on cleaning and servicing the motors. The model you gave me has made me want to get a modern model of a Class 31 to go with it:D

-Peter

All my locos are DC.

Dale end lane advent calendar loco 2:
Today's is two units and that is 153374 and 153379 from Hornby. Both are East Midlands Trains branded with the latter still in the Central trains green. They are great models (even if one is missing a snowplough) and have a lot of detailing including the rivets along the bodyside. 374 is still going strong after buying it around 10 years ago when it first came out.View attachment 86762
That's good to hear about the 153s; Hattons currently have the East Midlands one for £74 and I've been looking at it for Christmas. Is it a good runner? From what I've seen online they are apparently.

-Peter

Established Member
Day 3

All my Diesel shunters have to go, again as not suited to DCC conversion including a wonderful collection of Wrenn 08s. I just have LMS 7124 to sell.

I have no Type 1s so lets do my types 2s next!

View attachment 86767

An elderly Hornby Class 25, with twin motors, DCC & lights. I also have a second (no pic) converted into a class 24 but with 1 motor as second wasn't capable of DCC conversion!

Day 4

I once had 3 class 31s. Peter has one, another I sold as again not DCC suited

View attachment 86768

A sturdy Lima loco - easy to convert if you can solder, ideal for my son to drive!
5th for type 3s

Well I used to have a few, but my class 33/35/37s didn't make the DCC programme! Peter has some but 37012 survived to be converted!

View attachment 86774

I must get a Heljan 33/1
Nice selection there, looks very much like my dad's era with blue and gray. I'm sure he has the 25 and 37 (one of many 37's just like the 47's).
That's good to hear about the 153s; Hattons currently have the East Midlands one for £74 and I've been looking at it for Christmas. Is it a good runner? From what I've seen online they are apparently.

-Peter
They are every good runners. As James May would say they go like a stabbed rat. At very slow speeds they can stutter a little but for me that is not an issue. The motor is housed in the toilet/luggage area and the pickups are on both bogies.

Peter C

Established Member
They are every good runners. As James May would say they go like a stabbed rat. At very slow speeds they can stutter a little but for me that is not an issue. The motor is housed in the toilet/luggage area and the pickups are on both bogies.
Brilliant - I don't think slow speed stuttering would be an issue for me either; from what I've seen and what you've said they're definitely a model I'd want to go for. They have lights as well so that's quite nice.

-Peter

Established Member
Dale End Lane advent loco 3: GWR Class 800.

Like the 153's I have two class 800's these being 800004 being the first version and the first modern GWR loco/unit on my layout. Just under two years ago 800010 arrived (for Christmas) which has a special Paddington livery applied to the doors. They are brilliant models with lots of details, interior lighting and as well the nose cone can come off to allow a NEM coupling to be fitted to allow multiple working. I think the end coaches are slightly lower as well which I think is as per real life? My only problem that I have had is when I first had 800004 some of the bogies would stick into the main body which would prevent them from rotating. I think this was caused by them being compacted in the trays that they come in. Luckily I haven't had this problem with Paddington.

IMG_20201206_190536 (2).jpg
IMG_20201206_190549 (2).jpg

reddragon

Established Member
Dale End Lane advent loco 3: GWR Class 800.

Like the 153's I have two class 800's these being 800004 being the first version and the first modern GWR loco/unit on my layout. Just under two years ago 800010 arrived (for Christmas) which has a special Paddington livery applied to the doors. They are brilliant models with lots of details, interior lighting and as well the nose cone can come off to allow a NEM coupling to be fitted to allow multiple working. I think the end coaches are slightly lower as well which I think is as per real life? My only problem that I have had is when I first had 800004 some of the bogies would stick into the main body which would prevent them from rotating. I think this was caused by them being compacted in the trays that they come in. Luckily I haven't had this problem with Paddington.

View attachment 86834
View attachment 86835

If you see the ebay selling prices for the Paddington set you'd be shocked!

I have my own thread now!

Last edited:

Established Member
If you see the ebay selling prices for the Paddington set you'd be shocked!

I have my own thread now!

Like most things that are hard to come by now it seems. EMT Mk3's regularly end up in the £80-90 mark!

Dale End lane advent loco 4: Cross Country class 220/221:

Despite being a 10-15 year old model I think Bachmann have done well and have quite a of detailing such as the roof and the what would be cables between the coaches are even modeled. With the 221 as well there is even is a working tilting mechanism for when it goes round corners.
IMG_20200711_094209.jpg

reddragon

Established Member
Like most things that are hard to come by now it seems. EMT Mk3's regularly end up in the £80-90 mark!

Dale End lane advent loco 4: Cross Country class 220/221:

Despite being a 10-15 year old model I think Bachmann have done well and have quite a of detailing such as the roof and the what would be cables between the coaches are even modeled. With the 221 as well there is even is a working tilting mechanism for when it goes round corners.
View attachment 86889

My 220 will be in a few days!

Established Member
Dale End Lane advent loco 5: GBRF Class 66.

This is the Hornby release that has been done over the last two years. This numbered 66 has been released twice in now by Hornby. First in the normal GBRF livery like I have and this year in the special NHS livery. Whilst it is the cheapest option of the 66 ranges (others being Bachmann and Hattons) they are still nice models with nice detailing and can handle the fright trains that I have nicely.

IMG_20201210_165630.jpg

Iskra

Established Member
It does look really good down on the tracks actually. I recently 'needed' a 66 but wanted a EWS one so I was left with a choice between Bachmann or Hattons and went for Bachmann considering some of the issues the Hattons ones have with them, despite the quite attractive price because of those issues. I have been looking at picking up a Hornby Freightliner Green 66 and getting a TTS chip to go with it as it's one of the few really cheap locos out there.

Peter C

Established Member
It does look really good down on the tracks actually. I recently 'needed' a 66 but wanted a EWS one so I was left with a choice between Bachmann or Hattons and went for Bachmann considering some of the issues the Hattons ones have with them, despite the quite attractive price because of those issues. I have been looking at picking up a Hornby Freightliner Green 66 and getting a TTS chip to go with it as it's one of the few really cheap locos out there.
I can say from experience that the Hornby 66 with a TTS decoder is really good, especially if you don't want to faff around with putting other speakers in the engine and things. There's enough space in the engine for the speaker to sit nicely and the hollowness of the engine also allows for the sound to be made that bit deeper than the speaker by itself. I'd also recommend putting a weight from one of the old Hornby HST powercars into the 66 at one end to aid with weighing it down, especially if you have superlevated curves or gradients on your layout. Two weights would probably be ideal.

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
I can say from experience that the Hornby 66 with a TTS decoder is really good, especially if you don't want to faff around with putting other speakers in the engine and things. There's enough space in the engine for the speaker to sit nicely and the hollowness of the engine also allows for the sound to be made that bit deeper than the speaker by itself. I'd also recommend putting a weight from one of the old Hornby HST powercars into the 66 at one end to aid with weighing it down, especially if you have superlevated curves or gradients on your layout. Two weights would probably be ideal.

-Peter
Thank you for the advice, I will do that if I eventually get tempted :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I like the 66. Is that a newish model, or an upgraded Lima one?

Established Member
I like the 66. Is that a newish model, or an upgraded Lima one?
I think it is a bit of both. The body looks to be Lima but the motor and coupling area I think has been changed (to suit the NEM pocket etc.). They must be selling well as 10 versions came out in 2019 and 13 are in this year's catalogue.

Dale End Lane advent loco 6: Cross Country HST

This pack and coaches were only released in the last year and complements my two voyagers in the same livery and both are nice models although I do think £260 for the power cars is a little steep. The MK3's are the new Sliding Door version which the models have been completely redone from the slam door version so each variant that is required to make a full set is available. For Cross Country as well it included the modeling of the former loco hauled MK3 roof detailing for some of the coaches.
IMG_20201212_165003.jpg

reddragon

Established Member
I think it is a bit of both. The body looks to be Lima but the motor and coupling area I think has been changed (to suit the NEM pocket etc.). They must be selling well as 10 versions came out in 2019 and 13 are in this year's catalogue.

Dale End Lane advent loco 6: Cross Country HST

This pack and coaches were only released in the last year and complements my two voyagers in the same livery and both are nice models although I do think £260 for the power cars is a little steep. The MK3's are the new Sliding Door version which the models have been completely redone from the slam door version so each variant that is required to make a full set is available. For Cross Country as well it included the modeling of the former loco hauled MK3 roof detailing for some of the coaches.
View attachment 87033

I have the Hornby Castle set with sliding doors. Getting them at a good price was a challenge!

Established Member
I have the Hornby Castle set with sliding doors. Getting them at a good price was a challenge!
The Hornby power cars are quite expensive but I suppose with the GWR and SR sets only being 4 or 5 coaches you could save a bit there.
That XC HST looks amazing. :)
It does. :)

Dale End Lane advent loco 7: East Midlands Trains class 156

This is the 'full fat' 156 from Realtrack models and it doesn't disappoint as you have more than one option for each livery (4 just for EMT) with different destinations and running numbers, this one being 156405. As far as I can tell literally everything is modeled including the underframe having individual components, some protection around the exhaust along with a full interior thanks to a small motor in both vehicles. My only negative comment would be about the NEM coupling being fixed as it causes derailments if I try to run it with my 153's.
16079758038251985731656.jpg

reddragon

Established Member
The Hornby power cars are quite expensive but I suppose with the GWR and SR sets only being 4 or 5 coaches you could save a bit there.

This is the 'full fat' 156 from Realtrack models and it doesn't disappoint as you have more than one option for each livery (4 just for EMT) with different destinations and running numbers, this one being 156405. As far as I can tell literally everything is modeled including the underframe having individual components, some protection around the exhaust along with a full interior thanks to a small motor in both vehicles. My only negative comment would be about the NEM coupling being fixed as it causes derailments if I try to run it with my 153's.
The Realtrack model is supposed to be the best version of a modern DMU!

Iskra

Established Member
That 156 looks very nice, I have a Regional Railway one sat in a box that I've not got around to chipping yet. They have some more livery variations in stock now too.

Looking at this page, I think I like all your stock. The GWR livery is very smart.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s an excellent looking model. I wonder if anyone’s come up with a way of coupling those models so that they run through tight curves? I’ve just been trawling through this thread on rmweb but I haven’t found anything so far:

It might be worth asking the question on there though because there’s a lot of experts on that forum when it comes to models.

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 87156
That model looks really good - it was one of the units I was looking at for Christmas as Hattons have it online for £195 IIRC. Note to self: get my own 156 up and running...
I expect that unit has lots of interesting lighting features? I'm quite simple with models really so directional lights is enough to satisfy me in that case. :)

-Peter

Established Member
The Realtrack model is supposed to be the best version of a modern DMU!
From the DMU's I have I would agree. The Bachmann 158 will probably be up there as well.
That 156 looks very nice, I have a Regional Railway one sat in a box that I've not got around to chipping yet. They have some more livery variations in stock now too.

Looking at this page, I think I like all your stock. The GWR livery is very smart.
Thank you! Still some more GWR stock left to show. Realtrack have announced the run of Northern (mix of Purple and the current Blue/White) and SPT liveries recently.
That’s an excellent looking model. I wonder if anyone’s come up with a way of coupling those models so that they run through tight curves? I’ve just been trawling through this thread on rmweb but I haven’t found anything so far:

It might be worth asking the question on there though because there’s a lot of experts on that forum when it comes to models.
Thanks. I'll take a look through the thread. I remember quite a while ago seeing a video of a pair of Scotrail ones running together.
That model looks really good - it was one of the units I was looking at for Christmas as Hattons have it online for £195 IIRC. Note to self: get my own 156 up and running...
I expect that unit has lots of interesting lighting features? I'm quite simple with models really so directional lights is enough to satisfy me in that case. :)

-Peter
That's quite a good price as they are normally around £230. They do have directional lighting as well as interior lighting (very bright).

Dale End Lane Advent loco 8: More HST's!

After the Cross Country HST we now have the GWR HST which still run as slam door sets on the London services on my layout alongside the 800's. As well as the green power cars with the very nice gloss finish, I also have 43002 and 43185 in Intercity blue & swallow liveries which are lima models.

IMG_20201216_211145.jpgIMG_20201216_211225.jpg

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I really love those HSTs. Great looking models and really good that you can run the heritage repainted ones as well.

reddragon

Established Member
HSTs are so much easier to model now with short sets and the Lima ones are really good.

HSTs are so much easier to model now with short sets and the Lima ones are really good.

Established Member
I really love those HSTs. Great looking models and really good that you can run the heritage repainted ones as well.

Can never have to many HST's :lol: . I did like seeing 002 and 185 running round before they were withdrawn so it was kind of obvious to get them when I spotted them last year at Stafford Toy Fair for a very good price.

Dale End Lane Advent loco 9: EMT Class 158.

The Bachmann's long a waited 158 came out around a year back and is a step up from the older model. The new smaller motor now allows for the full interior to be shown and the re-done front end now has a 'functioning' coupling so 2 158's can be joined together. Lighting is also included with interior and exterior and I think even the orange door lights can be illuminated but I can do that with DC.
IMG_20201218_185850.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s very nice. It captures the real thing very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.