• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dapol Class 50 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSwindonRailE

I have a Class 50 from Dapol, but because the couplers are body mounted rather than bogie mounted, they don't move on turns and as a result derail anything it pulls. Is there a way to fix this, such as a flexible coupler or something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
Most models nowadays define the tightest curve on which they are suitable - I infer that you are trying a tighter curve than recommended. Are you using tension lock or scale couplings? If the former, as the distance between vehicles is over scale anyway you could add a loop of wire to connect the loco coupling hook to the next vehicle's coupling hook. That is, increase the distance to the next vehicle slightly. Not ideal, but you aren't in an ideal position!

Edit: sorry, the problem is in N gauge. I thought the Dapol 50 was 00!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have a Class 50 from Dapol, but because the couplers are body mounted rather than bogie mounted, they don't move on turns and as a result derail anything it pulls. Is there a way to fix this, such as a flexible coupler or something?
Welcome to the forum. :)
It’s the N gauge model I assume? I had a similar problem with mine. What I did in the end was trim off the pipe work either side of the coupling - mine only has the coupling at one end and the other end is detailed.
Even after doing that though I’ve still found that it won’t pull a short wagon around a curve. It’s fine with coaches though.

Peter C

Established Member
I have a 00 Gauge Class 50 from Hornby and the couplings are also mounted on the body, rather than the chassis, which is rather annoying. The slightest issue with the coupling can derail the stock it's hauling.
I assume the issue is at least somewhat similar here - I assume this is an N Gauge model so it might be different, but if it's a sprung coupling, as in it will spring back from one side to the middle, it may be catching on a piece of detailing and then can't move back to its original position. That's what happens on my Hornby 50, so I assume that removing the detailing surrounding the coupling would remove the issue.

Hope this helps,

-Peter :D

TSwindonRailE

It's just the standard Rapido coupling. I'll try the wire and see how that goes. Not too keen and removing the detailing but I might have to if the wire doesn't work.

Peter C

Established Member
Removing the detailing isn't ideal but I think the only detail you should have to remove is a small orange bit on the left-hand side of the locomotive as you look at it from the front. In N Gauge I expect that would either be so small you wouldn't notice (it's really quite small on the 00 Gauge model) or it's not there. If it's the latter than I've no idea!

-Peter :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thinking about it I just pulled the pipes out with some tweezers and stashed them away somewhere.
@Peter C - That is a very similar issue on the Hornby 00 class 50. I used to have one and it did the same thing, it’s a combination of body mounted couplings and a long body.

Peter C

Established Member
Oh OK - interesting. In terms of the 00 Gauge 50 it's annoying because it's been out for so long and hasn't been changed and I can only assume that the N Gauge model must be extremely frustrating given the size of the model as a whole and then minuscule detailing!

-Peter

TSwindonRailE

Managed to tweezer out the details on one end and remove the coupler from the other, so it's just a one-coupler loco now but I can still enjoy all the details at one end without the ugly rapido couplers. Thank you very much

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Managed to tweezer out the details on one end and remove the coupler from the other, so it's just a one-coupler loco now but I can still enjoy all the details at one end without the ugly rapido couplers. Thank you very much
Excellent. Which model did you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.