• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dark, damp and dodgy

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

Which is the wettest tunnel in the country? Is it Severn or Standedge?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
Under natural conditions, I think the Severn Tunnel is almost certainly the wetter. However, as the Severn tunnel is pumped and Standedge isn't, there is the possibility that Standedge at times is damper.

TheSlash

Established Member
Southampton tunnel has an old canal or stream next to it or under it which provides a hell of alot of water in the tunnel, about the middle there is a constant torrent of water running down the wall on the up side.
Fareham tunnel 1 is pretty wet aswell, all the water from the road runs down inside it, producing some lovely icecles for the first train in winter months. Then of course you've got the ghost aswell... 8-)

TheSlash

Established Member
Fareham tunnel is haunted by the contractor killed in there about 5 years ago. He was preparing to inspect the ventilation shaft when he fell in it and ended up on the track below.
The EKR tunnel is more a punter thing for hallowean etc, i've walked through it in both directions countless times and never seen, felt or heard anything, i ain't afraid of no ghost 8-)

H

HR2

There is definetly a ghost at Newbury Park tube station. He resides in the former signal box. A man of about 60 and dressed in shirtsleeves and waistcoat who I believe was a signalman who died on duty in the box. His last wish [which was honoured] was to have his ashes scattered on the track outside his beloved box. He stand there looking out of the window nearest the westbound platform with his arms folded. I saw him about 1am in the morning and went up into the box to investigate.. No lights on in the box apart from the glow of the signal diagram and frame. Not a soul there but it was strangly warm and cosy with a very pleasant feeling within. This would be in the early 80's

I heard from somewhere that the disused passageways of Hyde Park Corner station that leads to the former lower lifts landing are haunted by the sounds of young girls crying in the dead of the night and that staff refuses to go in there in engineering hours. Is this true?

TheSlash

Established Member
I was working by myself at one of the ghost hot spots on our area last night, never saw a thing, maybe the headless horseman had A/L?

TheSlash

Established Member
While i recently discussed Mr H Horseman's attitude to work with some of my colleagues from around the country and we came up with the following questions to be brought to the attention of management;

Can the Headless Horseman be relied upon to activate track circuits, or should signallers work AB when he is about?

Does his horse require a tail light?

When dealing with old headless in a HSM role, should the instructions be directed at his shoulders, or the bag with his head in it?

Would an appropriate train ID be 6X66?

If i should need to relay a message from the signalman, should i avoid saying "thats from the horse's mouth"?

If he came into the box to sign the train register, should such warning notices as "Mind your head" be removed to avoid offence?

Where axle counters are in use can the headless horesman be guaranteed to produce a consistent count in and out of the section?

What i wanna know is slash if he passes the ES marker boards without ES letting him into worksite is that still a signal passed at danger?
Would the PICOP have to ride with him from start of possesion to ES worksite or take the reins and lead him down the four foot?
Will the horse have water and hay provided at worksite?

But the burning question is who cleans up after the horse takes a dump in the worksite? Would it be a blockage of the line? does he pass this signal at danger then obey all others?

One day i'll print these off and hand them to 'Arvey, should be an interesting response

H

HR2

I've never seen any 'eadless 'orsemen in my time but I have seen thousands of legless passengers. :puke:

eezypeazy

Anyway, getting back to damp bits in tunnels, if I recall correctly, the lowest point in the Metro tunnels under Newcastle is south of Central Station, before it rises to the Queen Elizabeth II bridge across the river. I believe it's provided with some kind of sump, but it has been known to have puddles across the tracks...

eezypeazy

metrocammel

James 66526 said:
66526 is haunted...

And to me it seems disturbing that at Midland Road, it just lies there at a funny angle with tarpaulin over the places that are not damaged, however the main area of damage is just uncovered for all to see. Surely this is not a pleasant image to other drivers on the depot?

Thats 66521. Trust me, I am peed off with it being there for obvious reasons. It's not a nice sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.