• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Darlington-Barnard castle railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesybob123

The line from Darlington to Barnard castle should be reopened. I have worked out that the line has no obstructions as far as pierce bridge and the only problem is that the line cuts across the fields.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

higthomas

Why?

It's a town of about 5000 people, and it would cost millions. It has a bus every half hour, which doesn't show vast pent-up demand.

markindurham

Agreed. There's no real business case, and the BCR would be worse than others recently discussed.

lincolnshire

The line from Darlington to Barnard castle should be reopened. I have worked out that the line has no obstructions as far as pierce bridge and the only problem is that the line cuts across the fields.

How many people will use it and how many stations will it have?

How much money will it cost ?

Better value for money would may be to put money into lines that are all ready there and have stations all ready there, for example improve the service on a ghost service to a proper service.

Two examples Goole to Knottingly, run more trains through to Goole instead of turning round at Knottingly.
Gainsborough Central to Barnetby, a Saturday only token service on this line.

Since both lines are manned and have everything in place except trains to run the service, no having to purchase land build stations and lay lines etc. etc.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
This cant be serious - i know the area well, lived in Darlo for years and went to school in Barnard Castle. This will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happen. Unless Glaxo have some new wonder cure that needs to be shipped out by train ;)

As for no obstruction: Glaxo might be a little worried by their factory being knocked down and returned to a station. I am sure the people of Barny wont mind their only employer being closed.

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
At least he's not thought he's come up with the novel new idea of reopening Rillinton to Pickering! ;)

cuccir

Established Member
Let's be a bit more generous to a first-time poster shall we?

While you're right to say that this would probably be a relatively easy railway to build, the costs are still unlikely to justify it. Barnard Castle is not a big enough market, and it's relatively well served by road for a town of its size. Beyond it there's a very very tiny population in Teesdale, and Bishop Auckland already has a service. So even if it'd be an easier build than most, it's just too expensive to build a railway to such a small town!

Condor7

This cant be serious - i know the area well, lived in Darlo for years and went to school in Barnard Castle. This will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happen. Unless Glaxo have some new wonder cure that needs to be shipped out by train ;)

As for no obstruction: Glaxo might be a little worried by their factory being knocked down and returned to a station. I am sure the people of Barny wont mind their only employer being closed.

I don't know why you just come out and say what you really think. :D

To be honest I think you are right, but other posts talk about the size of the towns population but Barnard Castle is a beautiful town and there is also the tourist aspect to consider, although I doubt that would swing the case.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I don't know why you just come out and say what you really think. :D

To be honest I think you are right, but other posts talk about the size of the towns population but Barnard Castle is a beautiful town and there is also the tourist aspect to consider, although I doubt that would swing the case.

With both tourism and the lack of a railway connection, Ripon is something in the same position with three times the population size of Barnard Castle....and it also has a very imposing cathedral.

Status
Not open for further replies.