• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Darlington to King's Cross via Thornaby

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsman

Is a Darlington to King's Cross Super Off Peak return valid via Thornaby?

Asking as I am looking to change at York onto Transpennine Express to continue to Redcar Central on return leg. I am wondering if I can do that through just buying a Thornaby to Redcar ticket, rather than a Northallerton to Redcar one.

I can see iterniaries for Kings Cross to Darlington via Thornaby on NRE, but wouldn't it involve a double back between Eaglescliffe and Thornaby? Am I likely to be challenged on my routing?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
In fact it's valid via Middlesbrough which saves a bit more - doubling back through Thornaby and Eaglescliffe is permitted as they're all within Middlesbrough Routeing Group. However it's considered a bit of a grey area if you are not simply interchanging at Middlesbrough or Thornaby to doubleback the other way.

Edit: sorry the above information is wrong; doubling back via Middlesbrough is banned by easement 600083 (Customers travelling from/via Middlesborough to/via Darlington may not travel via Northallerton. This easement applies in both directions.)

But going via Thornaby is permitted, with the same proviso about doubling back for interchange purposes only.

tsman

So if it is pretty obvious that I'm not interchanging at Thornaby to Darlington, I'd be safer just getting the ticket from Northallerton?

Marton

I use off peak Darlington to KX via Thornaby occasionally. Never had a problem.
I usually prefer to split at York as it gives more flexibility if I choose to go via Darlington when connections don’t work from Nunthorpe, as they rarely do with the new TPE extension to Redcar.

Status
Not open for further replies.